Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Radschlepper'.
Another one getting attention on the bench this month is Riich Models excellent Skoda RSO Radschlepper. These look increasingly difficult to get hold of these days, at least from my tinterweb searching abilities from the UK, and I wish I had purchased another. It is beautifully moulded with sharp detail and a real snap together Tamiya-esq fit. This monster metal wheeled goliath comes with a complete engine, two load-bed options and a fret of PE to replicate the more delicately sized parts. Care is needed drilling multiple holes in the wheels and the only fit issues I found was the fuel tank sat a touch high on the chassis impeding the cab fit. Easy fix to shave a little off as the connection is hidden. Even easier if you know about it beforehand A Notek headlight was sourced from the parts bin and some fine copper wire was used to simulate the engine pipework. The white putty strip on the fender is the filled in locating slot for the missing drivers side engine panel This is almost at the same stage as the Ferdinand because I mixed a bunch of different Dunkelgelb paint mixes knowing both kits would not receive any camo. I figured a monochrome finish would benefit from a slight colour modulation to spice things up. Both this and the Ferdinand received a Red Oxide primer (Tamiya fine rattle can) and the wooden areas of the RSO a fine coat of grey to simulate the wood underneath. Then a couple of coats of hairspray were sprayed to allow me to chip and scratch down to the primer. The paint surface always appears very 'scratchy' dry and flat during the hairspray chipping stages but once a varnish coat and a pin wash applied it comes to life. For both this and the Ferdinand I am using Tamiya acrylics. The Ferdinand received a far greater degree of modulation although both went through the same painting process. I started with a Red Brown for the lower hull and running gear, then a mix of Red Brown and Dark Yellow a little higher up. Dark yellow was the next coat that just concentrated on the lower casemate area and all upper surfaces. This was followed by a Dark Yellow 2 lightly sprayed on higher areas of the hull and horizontal surfaces. To finish up a Dark Yellow 2 and Flat White mix highlighted just the horizontal surfaces. As each of the mixes often received more than one coat, they were deliberately kept light so I could still agitate the hairspray and get right down to the primer with some of the scratches and chips. Various light sand coloured Vallejo paints were then brushed on to raised surfaces like bolt heads and handles so the detail would pop once a pin wash was applied. A couple of light coats of satin varnish were then applied. Although the modulation is hardly noticeable on the above pics, they are a lot more pronounced in reality. Overall, I thought the colour looked a little too sandy, so I added a little Clear Yellow X-24 to the X-22. Various mixes of Abteilung oils were then carefully applied as a pin wash and left to dry for a few days. Happy it was dry enough any overspill oil work was carefully blended in. The contrast of the pin wash, the slight modulation and the brush painted highlighted areas can now be seen to greater effect. Progress so far