Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Printscale'.
Dear fellow Britmodellers, this is the new 1/72 Zvezda Yak-9D, released earlier this year. I built from the box, adding decal markings from Printscale. Painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics, photos by Wolfgang Rabel. The new Zvezda tooling is a quantum leap over previous Yak-9 model kits which are few and far between (the only other viable option from Dakoplast came out 25 years ago). Due to the "snap-fit" design there are some simplifications, mainly on the landing gear. A full build review will appear in a future editon of Phoenix Scale Publications. Thank you for your interest. Roman
This is Hasegawa's 1/72 Douglas EKA-3B Skywarrior. The EKA-3B was a multi-use aircraft that performed both in air refueling and radar tracking and jamming functions. The basic kit is from 1997 reboxed in 2008 with additional parts added for the EKA-3B version. Like many aircraft of its time period the slats were controlled by aerodynamic forces not hydraulics or mechanical actuators, so they would always be dropped on the ground. I wanted to drop them on and while I don't usually build kits with folded wings, but because they were available, had separate droppable slats, and to save shelf space I used a set of Folding wings from Wolfpack. I also used an interior from Obscureco, and and PrintScale decals. The kit was typical '90 Hasegawa with generally good fit and a somewhat simplistic interior. Obscureco makes a resin interior (OBS72023) that includes parts for several A-3 versions, including the EKA-3B. The interior was a pretty much drop in fit, had nice details and included very nice seats. I used it in conjunction with the kit control panel decals where possible. The Wolfpack wings were not as drop in as their F-18 wings were that I have used in the past. They required removing the upper wing halves from the kit one piece upper wing. The cuts were along panel lines were easy to make, and once done only requires a little sanding to fit them in. Here is a picture of them attached. The kit decals were not usable. In addition to "foxing" on the paper, even the control panel ones I tried to use mostly disintegrated even with a coat of Microfilm. After my previous success in taming PrintScale decals with Microfilm I ordered their 72-109 sheet confident that I would succeed again. However this time it was an epic fail with the decals curling up and refusing to stick or lay down even with copious amounts of Solvaset. So I frantically searched through my pile of used decals for something that would work only to find that I had another partial copy of the same sheet that I had used on a previous A-3 build, and that had all the EKA-3B markings intact. I tried these and they actually worked like normal decals should without the usual sticking like glue to the first position they touched and no rolling into a ball when moved. So here it is: Next up will be my attempt to build a Leonardo TH-73A using the Revell A-109 kit and parts from a die cast Agusta A119 . Wish me luck. Enjoy
I know I've just finished the Fw190 but I've been itching to start this one since I picked it up from ebay during the first lock down. Like many people stuck at home I spent far to long looking for the next project and ended up in bidding wars for several B24's before I finally one this one. The Academy/Minicraft kit is a 1991 rebox of the 1990 release by the same with new parts to change from a D model to H. As usual for a 90's kit the interior detail is lacking but I'll see what I can do about that. I picked up the Printscale decals for the Consolidated Liberator, Aviaeology Consolidated B-24/PBY-4-1 Liberators airframe stencil data and the Quickboost Consolidated B-24 Liberator turbo-supercharger cover resin replacements. The kit intructions are basic and all the interior colours are wrong but that's not a problem, I've had advice from Tom Probert. I was planning to build this as an M model I was planning to build this as an M model "Stripped for Action" but the M and H nose is different so I will go for "Taylor Maid" as the kit has the rear turret for the J model.
Dear fellow Britmodellers, my next kit finished is the 1/72 Amodel Yak-9U, a model I picked from the 'second hand' box of my local hobby shop this summer. The kit is typical short-run, without alignment pins, but generally good surface detail. Most parts need care and clean-up before assembly. I replaced the pitot tube with a piece of wire. Amodel's decals are among the worst I've ever seen, having a thick carrier film that's fraying around its edges and color mis-prints; what's supposed to be Red is actually Orange. I only used some instruction markings from the kit's decal sheet and replaced Red Stars, Bort number and nose art from a Print Scale sheet (72072). Much to my disappointment, I found out that some of the Red Stars on the Print Scale sheet are out of register, carrying white shadow lines. Represented is the aircraft of Georgiy Baevski, Hero of the Soviet Union (19 victories) from the 5th Guards Fighter Regiment (GIAP), Germany March 1945. Painted with acrylics from the Gunze/Mr.Hobby range, all photographs by Wolfgang Rabel. Greetings from Vienna! Kind regards from Vienna.