Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Nicolson VC'.
Found 1 result
Inspired by Alpha Delta 201's excellent rendition and kind encouragement, I decided to make my second Britmodeller build J.B. Nicolson VC's Mk1 Hawker Hurricane G-NA. The kit was Airfix's old-tool Mk.1, from their "V.C. Icons" boxing. GN-A was a significant aircraft, being the 'plane in which Flight Lieutenant Nicolson won the only Battle of Britain Victoria Cross and Fighter Command's only VC of the war, an exploit described in the following extract: Air Ministry, 15 November 1940. The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Victoria Cross on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery : Flight Lieutenant James Brindley NICOLSON (39329) No. 249 Squadron. During an engagement with the enemy near Southampton on 16th August 1940, Flight Lieutenant Nicolson's aircraft was hit by four cannon shells, two of which wounded him whilst another set fire to the gravity tank. When about to abandon his aircraft owing to flames in the cockpit he sighted an enemy fighter. This he attacked and shot down, although as a result of staying in his burning aircraft he sustained serious burns to his hands, face, neck and legs. Flight Lieutenant Nicolson has always displayed great enthusiasm for air fighting and this incident shows that he possesses courage and determination of a high order. By continuing to engage the enemy after he had been wounded and his aircraft set on fire, he displayed exceptional gallantry and disregard for the safety of his own life. Unfortunately Wing Commander Nicolson did not survive the war. For more on his career see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brindley_Nicolson As a build it was pleasant and uncomplicated and it came out looking quite like a Hurricane to my eyes, which is the main thing! Although not really a scratchbuilder by inclination, I was nonetheless moved to do some fairly rudimentary, impressionistic (and now completely invisible) cockpit detailing, put in a cockpit floor to fill the gaping void which would otherwise have been visible through the wheel-wells, and cobble together a pitot tube and a foot stirrup (the latter being made out of a twist of picture wire.) I also had another go at weathering with a combination of dark washes and silver paint on the leading edges, which were then overpainted with some gaps to simulate chipping/flaking. I also tried to do some exhaust staining, which I think was slightly more successful. My painting still leaves something to be desired, though, and I *very* swiftly regretted forgetting to mask-off the cockpit canopy before I sprayed-on the varnish...