Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'MiG-17F'.
Hi all, Not such a long text this time I present the first of my builds to roll off the line as part of the Africa GB. It represents the sole MiG-17F acquired by the newly re-named Burkina Faso in 1984. Reports state that it was acquired from Algeria while the same source oddly suggests that she was “delivered” to Ouagadougou by a defecting Malian pilot. It seems unclear. What is known is that only one was received. At that time, and since, the long running feud between Burkina Faso and Mali over the Agacher Strip (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agacher_Strip_War) has produced a fair degree of action and, presumably, “01” was involved. I have therefore painted here to represent a slightly worn colour scheme. It may be correct, it may not. There are photos of her in storage much later and eventually set up as a preserved machine. My assumption (as it suits my story) is that she was re-painted . The kit is the troublesome Airfix offering. Those watching the GB will have seen that I threw my toys out of the pram with my first attempt. This one seems better but it needed care in assembly. It also has many inaccuracies, some of which I have attempted to fix. These include the lack of “T” antennas, no small pitot on the nose, etc. If you build the kit in these markings do not put any roundels on the wings. The GB build is here: So, what did I do/use? Well: 1. Kit – Airfix MiG-17F “Fresco-C” (A03091) 2. Decals – Xtradecal (X72313) 3. Aftermarket – Master wingtip pitots and cannons, Pavla KK-2 seat, Eduard PE set (SS 695 and 73 695) 4. Paints – Humbrol Desert Sand (H250), Colourcoats Pale Blue Grey (ACSM01 ), Colourcoats Blue Grey (ACSM03 ) 5. Weathering etc – Tamiya Powders, Flory Sand wash, Prismacolor pencil I hope you like her. Martin
For this GB I’m going to build three models, which given my success rate in the Heller GB may be a bit ambitious but, the three builds are going to be the same kit so hopefully, I can set up a production line effort. I’ll be using the Airfix 1/72nd kit and decals from Berna giving me three different marking options, Angola, Guinea-Bissau and the Malagasy Republic (Madagascar). I’m still waiting for one set of decals to arrive, I’ll post some pictures of those once I get them. I’ve found a good picture of a Malagasy aircraft here, a so-so picture of a Guinea-Bissau aircraft here but I’m struggling to find a picture of an Angolan aircraft in the blue scheme so if anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be grateful. Anyway, here are the kits... ...and some reference material... I took copies of Ya Gabor's critique of the Airfix kit when he was on here, still undecided as to how far I want to go with that. I've also ordered some Neomega ejection seats for these, more pictures when the goodies arrive!
It's been a while since I built one of Airfix' newer releases. I was curious to see how far they'd come in recent years and I liked the kind of esoteric subject they'd picked, not too many MiG-17s on the market. It turned out to be a relatively quick build but the kit does have a few oddities. Best documented I think is the issues around the intake area; the intake ring diameter is too small which either results in a step around the whole circumference or a gap at the bottom. I opted to deal with the latter, which just needed a bit of plastic card to sort out. The splitter plate is also too small vertically, this I solved by filling the gaps top and bottom with Perfect Plastic Putty and wiping the excess off with cotton tips. There is also a bit of fettling and filling required to get the gun panel to fit correctly but nothing too serious. Don't forget to put in lead in the nose compartment as indicated in the instructions. You need to fill it to the brim, I did so on mine and it's still only a few milligrams away from being a tail sitter. Most problematic for me was the canopy, partly due to hamfistedness on my part. I cracked the windscreen while masking it, fortunately it doesn't show too much. Then I found the sliding section did not want to fit over the ejection seat; I couldn't find out why it would be too high so I cut it down slightly to get the canopy to fit. Then I used Perfect Plastic Putty to fair it in as there were still gaps all around. I opted to go for the more interesting North-Vietnamese option rather than the natural metal Soviet example. Humbrol Polished Aluminium for the underside of the wings, Gunze paints for the camouflage on top. I used the equivalent Gunze colors for the Humbrol codes provided by Airfix but found the darker green mottling too similar to the base green, I darkened it quite a bit to make it stand our more. Decalling was rather quick as I dispensed, at Airfix' instruction, with the stencils on the camouflaged parts of the plane. The '3020' on the nose had some trouble conforming to the compound curves in that area, even with setting solution they creased. I cut the creases with a sharp knife and most of them capitulated after applying more setting solution. Kudos to Airfix for the way they have engineered the airbrakes and landing gear parts; for the most part they are ensured a very solid fit at the right angles due to the way Airfix have moulded them. Very helpful. The gear and airbrake parts are the best part of this kit, very nicely detailed. The exception are the front gear doors; they are very thick and had I realized this earlier I would have thinned them quite a bit. Final job was to replace the cannon barrels with Albion Alloys tubing. There we are, a simple kit with nice colors that doesn't take up much space - slighty more than the Dragon MiG-15. Well done Airfix
Third entry for this GB. I'm doing Pakistan and India which to be fair are pretty large Airforce's, so I am off setting with one of the Worlds smallest. Burkina Faso. I would love to know whats going on in that picture!