Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Matterhorn decals'.
Hi guys, Here is the 1/72 Modelsvit Mirage IIIE converted to Mirage IIIS specification of the Swiss Airforce. For full details on the modifications done check this BM WIP IIIS thread here. The kit itself has some crazy details for this scale but can be a bit tricky to work with when modifying because everything is rather small, overall a nice one though. I used Alclad for the paints and required two attempts at it due to my daft ideas. I tried focusing on replicating the contrast between the varied panel tones and matt-ish finish of the wings compared to the more reflective fuselage and fin. I attempted to add some sort of wear and grain to the paint as the plain fresh Alclad looked a bit off by itself, it mostly looks ok in the flesh if a little overdone in bright sunlight. Still, it's no foil. I used Matterhorn decals which were very good, probably the most important aspect for me was that the film was super thin so it vanished into the NMF. I made 'J-2305', one of the very early Mirage IIIS deliveries and displayed it as was during the 60's before unit markings were applied on the fin. Unfortunately I managed to loose one my the Maestro Aim-26B missiles but I loaded the other anyways (lets pretend its awaiting the second missile :D) , I'm hoping Eduard Brassin comes to the rescue! The irony with this model is that whilst being the smallest one on my shelf, it took by far the most work! Thanks for looking and hope everyone is ok! David
I have recently completed this a 1/72nd Dassault Mirage IIIS, J2302 this aircraft was used for trials by the Swiss Air Force and at some point was fitted with a Photo Recon nose. The base kit was the new tool PJ Production Mirage V which is a vast improvement on the older kit and I used the PJ Production Mirage IIIS for the conversion. The decals are from Matterhorn for the Mirage IIIS and RS, initial impressions of the decals was good well printed and in register even the very small ones, but when introduced to water a lot of them just broke a part on the backing paper they are also nearly impervious to my preferred Microsol and Microset setting solutions to the point I ended up buying two sheets to finish the decalling. In the end I was just glad to finish it. C and C welcome Willy IMGP7878 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr IMGP7877 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr IMGP7876 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr IMGP7875 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr IMGP7874 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr