Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Launch Pad 39A'.
Hello everyone, I want to share my newest project with you guys here. Inspired by the build of roma847 and some others I came up with the idea to build the Space Shuttle Discovery. The mission: Building MLP, Crawler, Space Shuttle and a Launch Tower, representing Discovery during STS-133 preparation. The ingredients: Space Shuttle with Booster from Revell MLP from Educraft (just as template) Crawler from Educraft (just as template) Launch Tower... Not sure yet! I haven't decided yet how to build the Launch Tower. Only decission made so far is to not use the one from Revell, due to the scale issues mentioned all over the internet. And of course because MLP and Crawler would look pretty strange next to the Revell Tower. Mission started: This shows you where I am at the moment. I bought a second Space Shuttle on Ebay to avoid opening the Revell Launch Tower one. The box was faded a lot, but the inside was in perfect condition. So I started right away with the Booster Rockets. most of the raised panel lines have been removed, as they are not present on the latest Shuttle missions. The Mailman brought me this on the 6th of december... A paperrole with the MLP and the Crawler model. This is the MLP. and this will be the crawler sometime in the future... I made some copies of the original paper drawings, so that I can cut out everything without destroying the original ones. Sounds a bit crazy, I know, and my wife told me already. But hey, you never know if you do not need the original drawings a bit later. And like I mentioned, the drawings will just be used as templates. My goal is to build it with plastic sheet, a lot of plastic sheet. So first thing was to order some, which has arrived already, but no pictures made from it (a lot of white plastic, so not very exciting). Next I started with the Blast Chamber of the MLP, to just start with something. Because I needed to wait a bit for the delivery of all the plastic sheets I also started with the Space Shuttle. So I opened the gap between those two "rudders" (not sure if this is the correct english word) Next step was to locate all the gaps. There are a lot of gaps, and not small ones. This is a view from the top... Looks the same on the bottom... You can basically look thru those wings! Solution??? PUTTY, a lot of it... Space Shuttle started the fight, I finished it! Next step will be a lot of sanding, as you might can imagine. In the meantime plastic sheet has arrived and I started with the MLP construction. At the moment there are only two huge plates with three holes in each of it, so not really something to show. Hope to be able to continue some of the work during Christmas break. I will try to post frequent updates, but as I am pretty busy with a lot of things, it could be that it take some time for updates. So sit back and relaxe.
Hi all together, I've seen great Real Space Modeling projects in your forum. Therefore I want to point out you on my major project. I decided for the STS-6-Mission with the Challenger (04.04.1983) as guidance version for my build, as you can see here in the following image of the Launch Pad 39A with the Challenger before the start to the STS-6 mission. Source: retrospaceimages.com To be built is the Launch Pad 39A with Launch tower, Shuttle stack, as well as Mobile launcher platform (MLP) and Crawler transporter (CT). Basic module for my project is the old Revell kit 4911 in 1:144. In addition of the launch tower FSS I will use the Detail kits of LVM Studios. The LVM kits contain photo etched parts (PE) from thin brass sheet metal, with which very finely detailed structures can be produced as well known. For building MLP and Crawler I use the cardboard-model kits by David Maier from EDU-Craft Deversions in scale 1:144. The kits consist in each case of 13 colored building sheets of cardboard (27.5 cm x 42.5 cm) as well as a building guidance on CD-ROM. If you are interested in the beginning of my progress report you can look here in the ARC Discussion Forums. Manfred