Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Ka-27'.
HobbyBoss is to release a 1/48th Kamov Ka-27 "Helix" - ref. 81739 Source: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2804569608 V.P.
So I am trying to break my own record and attempting a third build for this GB. Inspired by Nigels Helix build I thought I would go for one of these I picked it up from my LHS for 15 bucks (about 7 1/2 English Pounds). I haven't bothered with a spru shot as most items were kicking around the box (probably why it was cheaper!) I did a quick check in the shop and it looked like all was there, so standby near the end of the build when I discover something important missing! I am not an aficionado on Russian Helo's and I won't be paying too much attention on the interior, as long as it looks ok that will be fine. The canopy is a bit chunky and thick so it wont show a great deal. I built up the cockpit and replaced the yaw pedals as they will be right next to a window. This was primed and painted, the seats were painted up with a leathery type effect I also removed the grilled areas on the fuselage, thinned it down and fitted my new favourite mesh material....not tea bags but wedding sugared almond bags! Does the job well! And from the outside looks fine This area was then painted black and boxed in, again inside painted black. I also fitted the cockpit at this stage, without the console. Next up I joined the fuselage and left that aside. Looking at the rest of the kit I saw these sink marks that would ruin the look of the rudders. I don't know how to fill these without losing the rivet detail......so opted to remove the lot! Unfortunately I don't have any more progress pictures. I thought I had uploaded more but alas no, so they will appear later. Finally I turned my attention to the handles all over the fuselage. Nigels build gives a good detail on how these are made. Most are like the 'one piece tube type' but there are a couple on the side that are made up of welded parts, so I thought I would see if I could replicate that. I cut loads of .4mm brass wire and rolled straight with a rule. I then positioned them accordingly on a ceramic tile like so......with a couple of practice pieces And then it was out with my new toy! YES! I have been suckered into getting a soldering iron! It seems to be the way ahead with so I plumped for it. Now being of mechanical sense I have no knowledge or experience with this so got one off Amazon with some solder and we'll start from there. After a couple of hours practice (and burning ones hand!) I managed to get somewhere abd tried to do the rod. I think it is too thin to solder but I did manage to get some adhesion. I haven't tidied the joins up yet so the jury is still out. A lot of trial and error (more error than trial though) and I may make use of it! Any way here is the final shot Not sure how it will go so stay tooned! Bob