Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Hobby Design'.
Here is my latest bike. Really enjoyed it but took a long time and by the end a few mistakes were made, luckily not too noticeable unless you have very good eyesight. This is a great kit from Hasegawa and very impressed with the details, although the fairings were a bit fiddly. Learned a few things, some good and some bad. Tried my hand at heat rings on the exhaust, works ok but something I will have to practice on to get it much better.Mr Hobby GX100 was a bit to harsh for some decals but I learned with careful sanding and polishing how to rectify these mistakes reasonably well. It is a very nice gloss but I'll only use it for certain projects in the future. On the whole the decals by Cartograf and Hobby Design are brilliant, although the Cartograf ones for the fluorescent red sections were too different to the Mr Hobby paint colour that they weren't used and masking was a better choice. Completely fouled up the yellow decal for the front number so that had to masked and painted as well. Worked well just don't look at the white border too closely. Colours used: Mr Color 171. Tamiya LP2. And other Tamiya Lacquers for the metals including mixes for steel and burned steel. Anyway, enough blather. Thanks for looking and all the best. Not sure what happened to the red as the photos I took were really clear?? Okay, changed settings on HPH.
This is a trip back to my youth. I bought 3 non-running S1/KH250 when I was 17. I managed to piece together a working KH250 and this was my first bike after ditching the L-Plates. It also started a journey where I owned a KH400, KH500 and an H2 750 before I moved onto the Suzuki stink pots which in turn culminated in an RG500. Of the Kawasaki triples, the 250 was my favourite, the 400 was more powerful but not as much fun, the 500 kept breaking down (ignition issues) and the 750 just wanted to kill me. This is also my first Hasegawa bike kit, and it is a beauty! The build and fit so far are superb and the separate parts are going to make the build a lot easier. The plan is to build it as my KH looked, so mine was Candy Cobalt Blue and completely stock, albeit with flatter handlebars. I also have the Hobby Design PE kit for it and I am going to add the bits that are missing, as I still have the Haynes Workshop Manual, so this will include the auto-lube cables and a stab at the wiring loom too amongst other things. So far, I have made a start on the cylinder barrels. The fins have been thinned to remove the joins and the crankcase has had the access way for the oil pipes opened up and the moulded engine bolt removed and replaced with an alloy tube. This shows the before and after on the barrels, the right is without any work: This is the crankcases: From the box: Oil lines are some MFH fine brown pipes with thin wire threaded through so that I can shape them to route along the crancase below the carbs, the bolts are MasterClub 1.0mm resin bolts through some 1.2mm tube: And this is them placed for dry-fit purposes. The molded bolts are removed and drilled out, also the original holes for the clutch and oil lines are plugged so I can use thinner wire than what comes with the kit: This is the case halves assembled with the replacement bolt: I also have been working on the wheels. There is a lot of chrome in the kit, and if you want some sprue-shots I can post them. I have removed the chrome from the hubs by creating a plasticine well for keeping the bleach away from the rim. I also am planning to next write a separate WIP on the methods that I used. But this is the rear wheel before, during and finished for comparison. These are the wheels with the hubs stripped of chrome, just dry fits: I started by removing some of the spokes and replacing with 0.5mm piano wire with 0.8mm aluminium tubes cut to 1mm lengths for the furrels, these are on the left side. The hubs have been painted with AK Xtreme Metal Matte Aluminium: Just steel spokes and now quite flimsy: Finished: I have some tyre valves on the way, so that and the brake and rear sprocket need to be added at a later stage. Front wheel is next and then if the weather allows, some paint on the engine parts. Thanks for looking. Tony