Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Fireball'.
The search index is currently processing. Current results may not be complete.
Once upon a time in the sixties, for five Lyons Maid? ice lolly wrappers and a postal order for 10/6d you could receive a model kit of the then TV wonder, Fireball XL5. (Apparently moulded by Airfix). Now that was a fair amount of money back then, and I for one lusted after this thing but it was not to be. Fast forward about fifty years to a couple of months ago and the local car boot sale. Oh look, a box of old model kits, Oh golly (or something similar) stay cool, it's a Fireball! One pound fifty later, I walked away trying not to grin in a stupid fashion! The nose cone, (Fireball junior) was missing, but hey, it's a start, I'll scratchbuild one. I mentioned my find on here and was contacted by a BM regular who normally scratchbuilds large scale cars. He too had always wanted one and mentioned using resin.I ended up sending my find to him and he did the deed. I recently got my kit back, plus a resin copy and another resin Fireball junior. Here is what he describes as a 'garage kit' and it looks like it will be a challenge in places but I will give it my best and we'll see what emerges. Not shown above are the resin fins for 'junior'. You can see a metal washer and small magnet so 'junior' can go off on it's own. Here's what I got at the boot sale. It was painted & assembled but had to be stripped down for copying. So this too will be on the build desk and I will end up with two of these beauties! I have some original Airfix aircraft stands which I will be using for them both. The resin copies are available on the bay and I've not mentioned any names above in case there are any issues with copyright etc, but BM regulars should be able to work out who it is. This will be a slow motion build as life is interfering with the model desk for the next month or so at least, but I will do what I can, and post whenever I get the chance. In the meantime maybe someone else will be overcome with lust for one and will purchase & build one faster than I can! Pete
Hello, Here are some finished photos on my latest build, a Ryan FR-4, which is a conversion of the MPM 1/72 Ryan FR-1 Fireball; the FR-4 being 100 mph faster than the FR-1. The FR-4 differs in that the intakes for the jet engine were removed from the wing roots, and added back in the form of NACA ducts, on the front cowling sides. Without further ado: Next, some comparison shots between the FR-1 and the FR-4 (foreground). The FR-1 is the Pegasus model, and it was a tough build, mostly because the intakes on my copy were molded as blobs, and I had to basically rebuild the wing. Also, in these pictures, I just noted that about 12-15 years ago, when I built the model, I also put the stars ON THE WRONG WINGS! This model has been in the case for THAT long, and I just never noticed. Duh! But, I lucked out, and some kind chap on E-bay was kind enough to offer an instruction sheet (which I didn't need) and an original Pegasus decal sheet (which I do) for a modest price, so I snapped them up! This problem will be corrected soon! But, here are some comparisons: This was a tricky, but interesting build, and one that I'd never seen tried before. This model may very well be unique, but I hope some of you out there will give it a go! Here is the link to how I did it:W.I.P. Thanks for looking! Ed
Hi all, got this blast from the past, plenty of room to add lighting. This is a vac formed kit that was made around 1987, so definitely not a "shake and bake" kit. Not sure of the scale, it may be around 1/28 but I would be guessing. I wasn't too impressed with the cockpit and yellowed canopy, so I decided to see if I could scratch build something better, I ditched the canopy idea and went for an open frame so I could show more details. I built up a new floor and seats and added fibre optics around the cockpit, some of them would flash off and on and some on the back wall would be constant. I wanted to build Robert the Robot in control of the ship, I built him out of various sized fibre optic strands, glued his arms and legs with pva glue, trouble was he was almost invisible at this scale, so I put a warm white smd under his butt! LOL! At least he can be seen now, I made the canopy frames out of solder, cynoed together, then wiped over with 5 min epoxy for strength and yes I had lots of breakages, but got there in the end. I was going to leave the frames open but towards the end of the build I brushed some micro crystal clear pva glue over the frames and after about 4 days it did clear pretty well. However I decided to experiment and I 2K clear coated over the pva and it did improve its clarity, not perfect but better than the original kit part. I would like to think that Gerry Anderson, if he'd had the budget and the technology he would've added lighting to his models. Enjoy the retro trip guys!