Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'FR XIVE'.
The search index is currently processing. Current results may not be complete.
Here's my Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR XIVe, completed as a 402 Squadron (RCAF) machine, March, 1945. As I understand it, 402 was one of two Squadron's to operate the "bubbletop" before the end of the war in Europe. I found the Airfix kit to be good, but required careful assembly and a fair amount of shimming. The paints I used are Tamiya acrylic, weathering with Humbrol enamels and pastels, and the decals are a mix of XtraDecal codes, Aviaeology serials, and Barracuda stencils. I'm quite happy with the result, and I hope you like, Colin Link to my accompanying "Highback" build - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064455-148-spitfire-f-xive-highback-402-squadron-rcaf-march-1945/
I'm working on a Spitfire XIVe highback by converting the Airfix 1/48 Spit XIX without kitbashing. I realize there are easier ways to get there, but I purchased the kit and parts when these were the only options, so I may as well use them. I'm also grateful for all the info I've been able to get from this website, many excellent modellers have gone down this road in various ways, and I value the knowledge they've been willing to share. Thank you, all. I'm using the Airfix 1/48 Mk XIX, Barracudacast 4 spoke wheels, and cylinder head covers (to correct the short kit covers), Ultracast's Sitfire seat with late harness, access door, and Mk XIVe cannon barrels. I'm also going to use Quickboost's Gyro gunsight. I've filled the unwanted panel lines and blisters/intakes and camera ports with Zap glue and talc, Millput, or scrap plastic. I shortened the ailerons, scribed the appropriate panel lines, and added the blisters from stretched sprue, reprofiled Eduard FW-190 bombs, and cannon bases from aluminum tubing. I've scratch built the inner fuselage lower section to cover the wing root cavities, drilled out the lightening holes in the cockpit frames, opened up the rear bulkhead, opened the access door, built up the aft fixed canopy sill, replaced the cylinder head covers with the Barracudacast parts, and drilled out the exhaust, torque links and tie down point. It's the long way to go, but, as I said, at the time it was the only option … … and the work continues.