Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'F-305'.
I’m pleased to roll out and present to you my latest build, which was intended as a quick space filler between others. In the end she took a bit more effort than I had expected as I discovered the additional features of these machines. The model depicted former Dutch RNEIAF F-51K Mustang “F-305” (ex 44-12754, H-305) as operated by No.3 squadron of the Air Force of the Republic of Indonesia (A.U.R.I.) around early 1958 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_Air_Force. I chose this machine as she stood out when I purchased the Dutch Decals sheet nearly two years ago. However, upon matching the only image I am aware of her (below) in this colour scheme against the instructions it was clear there were differences – errors. I consulted Max Schep. It was agreed that the scheme, instead of being a single green, was in fact a two-green camouflage pattern. THere is no red nose apart from the sinner. In fairness Dutch Decals allude to this possibility. I then noticed that this aircraft carried the No. Squadron “3” on the fuselage side, believed to have been in yellow. This is not in the Dutch Decals sheet. Note also that the serial and axe are oversize! Credit; Dutch Decals Sheet Later, while building the model, I saw that there were other differences. Firstly, the decal sheet shows the sharksmouth as having a red interior whereas the photograph clearly shows a very dark colour. You can match the red of the national insignia and it becomes clear. I opted for black as it matches other known black features like the eyes. The greens used for the upper surfaces are unknown too and so I have made a judgement call on what I think they were. Contrary to the decal sheet instructions I painted the undersides as natural metal rather than grey, citing the natural metal surrounds to the serial numbers. With help from other BMers, I chose black as my colour for the cockpit, citing the Dutch Air Force Museum machine as an example. I used an Aires cockpit set that was languishing in a box under my desk . I also had a F-51K prop ready but didn't need it. She needed new rocket rails and so I fashioned these from Plastruct rod using a photo of a machine in the Jakarta museum as a reference (below). Credit: @Troffa Apart from the above it was reasonably straightforward. I used some aftermarket to spice her up a bit and tried to enhance detail by, for example, drilling out the exhausts. You can see that I dropped the flaps too. The only issue, and it has occurred with all of my seven Tamiya Mustangs, is that the windscreen takes some careful fitting. The wing panel lines were filled with PPP. Other things to change on the Tamiya kit are: 1) deleting the strengthening patches above and below the wings, and 2) modify the main gear doors as they dont sit right when following the kit parts locating positions. The cockpit set was nice (no rivet counters please). It’s a shame that most of it gets buried! The aircraft is depicted as she was during the troubles in Indonesia in late 1950s, fighting insurgents. This story is best captured here: https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/blog/pby-catalina-26-invaders-p-51-mustangs-cia-rebel-air-force-attacking-indonesia-1958/. F-305 was damaged on 07th May 1958 during an attack by CIA-supported PERMESTA forces on Laha Airbase. What did I do/use? 1. Kit – Tamiya F-51D Mustang (54) in 1/72 2. Decals – Dutch Decals Sheet (72070). The “3” was drawn by @Giorgio N and printed by Arctic Decals. Likewise the replacement sharksmouth was printed from my revised drawing by Arctic Decals too. I used Xtradecal white and black striping for the flap angle indication. 3. Aftermarket – Aires cockpit set (7074 ), flaps from an Airfix kit (Thanks @rossm) 4. Paints - Colourcoats Green Olive Drab (ACUS19), USAAF Olive Drab 41 (ACUS15), Insignia Red (ACUS26) Matt Black and Tyre Black, Humbrol 27002 Polished Natural Aluminium and others. She has a final Satincote finish. 5. Weathering – Prismacolor Silver pencil, Tamiya Weathering Powders and Flory Dirt and Sand I hope you like her. Martin PS: Yes, I know it has a Hamilton Standard prop. It is correct, despite being a F-51K.