Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'CBX'.
Hi all, well it's been a while since I built a bike kit, so I thought I would drag this beauty out of the stash. 6 Cylinder, 24 valves double overhead cam, 6 carburettors, need I say anymore! I had been after a 1/8 kit of this bike for a couple of years, then about 6 months ago I managed to snag this very little started kit from a nice gentleman who had it for sale on eBay. All the parts were there, so I was happy to win the bid. First off, I have owned and worked on a few of these bikes, so looking over the kit it looked pretty accurate for its age. Plan is to get the hard part out of the way first, the paintwork. I am going for the Candy Glory red option. Apart from the box art, I have included some pictures of a later, A model that I painted for a client a few years back. As this is a US model, I might try to convert it to European lower Handlebars as they look nicer to my eyes. So, let's get started! I started looking at the front mudguard, maybe it's a limitation of the mould process in its day but the mudguard had a thick seam running around the outer edge, it was not like that on the full-size bike, so I had to sand that down and reprofile the front and rear of the guard to get a more accurate shape. The fuel tank is in 3 parts, but went together pretty well with minimum sanding and putty work. I gave all of the body work a few coats of black primer, followed up the next day with a light metallic silvery red basecoat and the 4 coats of Citroen Ruby red basecoat, which looked a close match to the original factory candy paint. A few coats of 2k clear were then sprayed on to seal in the colour. Decal stripes will go on next, but I have just noticed that stripes 1/2/4 and 5 on the decal sheet are for the silver coloured bike! So, it looks like some masking and airbrushing of the correct colours will be required. Bye for now guys.
Hi all, here are the final photos of the mighty Honda 6, a fairly straight forward build apart from the exhaust system which needed lots of test fitting and even then, I had to cut 3mm off each side of the lower collectors to get the foot peg hangers to line up correctly. I had run out of Molotow chrome on Wednesday, placed an order that afternoon and it arrived on Thursday morning. So, I could add the final coat of liquid chrome to the down pipes and collectors. I also added some silver solder to the seat to replicate the chrome trims and made up a few brake pipe brackets. I decided to leave the kit high handle bars and not try to lower them, as it wouldn't have been a straight forward job due to the fact that they are a cast alloy item on the original bike and the casting would be tricky to replicate. I think the throttles cables are a smidge too large diameter, but I had nothing smaller that looked any better, so I will leave them for now. Finally I've added some photos of the real bike that I restored last year for your comparison. I hope you enjoy looking at this 70's muscle bike, another one to add to my growing collection.