Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Boscombe Down'.
As per my Sea Fury just posted this was finished only a couple of weeks ago. This is the 1/32 scale FGA.9 kit made up to be 601 in the proper colours in my view. This is how I remember it when working at BD and I never felt it wore the ripple paint scheme very well. So it was my intention to build it up as a TWCU aircraft with some nice shiney SNEBs, however soon as I started those voices said otherwise. The kit is as has been mentioned with the usual pit falls but mainly it a very underestimated kit and super value. The cockpit had the extra couple of instruments added and all along I intended to add a pilot (courtesy of PJ) and in this stance. I wanted to imagine that engine is running just prior to leaving the line. The Porton tanks were made using extensive references and I used my 3D printer for the flat noses. First time I’ve used it in anger and they were mated to the kit tanks. Then the very visual weld lines and the filling cap above the nose was added. The spray tube from round tube drilled out. I then added 10 thou plasticard wrapped around the body of the tank. I left a small join line on the sides and used decals to replicate the tightening braces on the sides. They were both then sprayed Gloss appliance white. The fuel tanks sprayed red and a little wear on the noses added by using the dabbing of a sponge method. Aircraft was then painted and some sun bleaching added to some panels of the red spine. The badge on the fin is of A squadron which they added on some of the fleet occasionally. The square non standard item under the cockpit in leu of the gun compartment is a TACAN system added some time ago, but over the years it had various colours added to it. Oh the worn white outline on the fin flash is on purpose!.
Hi all, I finally managed to take photos this morning of a build I finished a couple of months ago, having got a decent base which I received yesterday. The base is 45 x 45cm and is my generic base for Boscombe Down a/c in the 70/80’s. The colour is actually quite sandy and was sprayed with various shades of browns and some dirtying up. Equally of the period there are no follow me white line, just the white spots. I found a photo on the internet of the Swiss hunters parked up from the IAT, so took my join line references from that. I purchased this kit from a very good friend on mine that I’ve known for yonks and has always helped along the way. I built this as a therapy build having dislocated my knee cap whilst gardening. So whilst waiting for a operation this was to stop me going mad whilst mobility was restricted. it’s the Fisher Item and I’ve built his Hunter T7 conversion but this was my first full resin kit. Overall I enjoyed the kit with some fit issues but we got there in the end. Made up as the A&AEE aircraft (pre-crash) using reference photos from the internet and old colleagues from Boscombe Down with additional antenna on the upper wing and period RBF tags made up on a word document and scaled down. Not much else to say as others have already done so.
I've picked up one of these for £10 and having a quick search I realise I can't do a GR.1 without a lot of work, so can I make one of the 6 delevopement batch a/c prior to the pre-production GR.1s'. The ejection seat in the kit is with the large head box, when did this change from the earlier type. Cockpit colours look like gray. I need to fashion the two vents directly behind the canopy. I've just started to fill in the sink holes and research is ongoing but any info would be greatly received. Steve.
Hello folks, finally the rain has stopped so I've taken a couple of photos whilst there only a slight breeze!. My thanks on this build go to Andy Wood & Jaw. I've been dying to do this one for ages, As It was this at Boscombe I watched on many a school holiday and eventually worked on it! This the renowned re-release of the mk9 Revell Hunter with the Fisher T7 conversion. I started this on the 2nd Feb and finished it last week but I'm a slow modeller. The vents on the back have been relocated and the vent guards scratch built, also the "other" (technical term for I've no idea but I can see them!) circular vents. The Spin panel was made with some decals out of the stash as was the ETPS decals. The fuel tanks were overhauled finishing with plasticard fins. The white is Halfords Gloss appliance white but I had a bit of a nightmare; as my dirty wash stained the White and it would not wash off. A splash of isopropyl got it off. Now for some crappy photos: