Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Alley Cat tin wing'.
In a previous modelling life (ie first time around!) I developed a love of Hurricanes. One of those was (I believe) a Revell kit to which I added a scratchbuilt interior and main gear well using the Airfix "Classic aircraft and how to model them" book. A couple of years ago I found it in my Dad's attic and brought it back to the US to finish off. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I liked to remember so I bought an old Airfix MkI/IIB kit to use the interior in. I also bought PE flaps and a resin gear well. Then the new tool kit came out, so I bought that too....Then I realised that the kit was a rag wing, and Alley Cat had just released a "tin wing" conversion, so that too was added... The only problem now was that the wing is a solid 1 piece item so the flaps cannot easily be cut out (scrap the PE flap!) and the gear well was very nicely reproduced too (scrap the resin detail kit). Thanks to my trials and tribulations with the 2 Sopwiths, I decided I needed a relatively quick and simple build - out came the Hurricane! Totally out of what has become my comfort zone (WWI aircraft) and no rigging! This will be built as one of the subjects in the Xtradecal Battle of Britain sheet, I'm not sure yet which one..... I think most are familiar with the new tool Airfix kit so I won't post pics of the kit itself. Since most of the interior is mounted on the wing assembly i thought that would be a good place to start, so out came the new airbrush. Thanks to a post on here with pics of the Finnish MkI Hurricane, I have painted the interior the usual green, with all the framework/seat/wheel well etc in aluminium. As far as the Alley cat wing goes, it's pretty straightforward...the only possible gotcha being the fact that the Airfix instructions show the view looking down on the lower half of the wing... but because the Alley Cat wing is one piece, you will be looking at it upwards towards the upper half...consequently you will need to reverse the 2 parts A5 and A6 , so they fit properly. Don't forget to sand off the little tabs on the rear edge of them either! My wing had quite a bad warp on the inner front edge, where it mates to the lower fuselage, but nothing that couldn't be easily resolved with a little hot water and clamps. The fit is pretty good too but did need a little fettling - I gently filed inside the grooves on the upper rear to reduce the thickness of the resin there, and also filed the lower parts of the fuselage to both thin them and raise them very slightly. Most of the work was required on the underside at the front, where it was too deep and left a large lip under the fuselage. A little sanding there also sorted that problem, although final close fitting will be left until it's all mounted. The last thing I did today was add a lip to the front and sides of the seat, and that will be sanded down to the correct shape when it's dry. Actually, the last thing I did today was order an interior PE set with seatbelts as I realised I didn't have any, so those are on their way from Hannants! Ian