Search the Community
Showing results for tags '787-8'.
Found 3 results
After a break from Sci-Fi and prehistoric builds, I have returned to my preferred subject of Civil Aircraft and have 3 kits in 1/144 scale almost off the end of a 3 month production line in my workshop. All 3 kits are in the final stages of decals, paint and build here. Kits used - Revell Dreamliner 787-8 for the BA livery kit Zvezda Dreamliner 787-9 for the Virgin livery kit Eastern Express MD-11 in American Airliners livery An array of decals have been used from Draw Decals, F-Decal, Nazca and good old 26Decals. The Eastern Express MD-11 kit was a bitch - different width fuselages, poor fitting wing roots, rear bulkhead a different width the forward fuselage - the list is endless. Any - I like how it is turning out despite the many hours of filling Despite quite a bit of research on the correct shade of grey to use on the Virgin 787-9, I followed the advice of one of my friends who is a Virgin engineer at LHR who kindly gave me some touch up fuselage paint - unfortunately despite the colour being 100% correct - it seems that difference between 1/1 scale and 1/144 scales don't work as I am sure the real things that fly past my front door in Iver everyday loo quite a bit lighter in shade - perhaps a trick of the light …. Bye - John
Well, I realise it's a bit late in the day to start a WIP on this one, but technically it's not finished yet, so here goes. I picked up this kit quite cheaply from Creative Models and I am quite pleased with it. 1/200 is not a scale I've built in before, but for aircraft of this size it still gives a fairly sizable model. On the whole, this is a good kit - fit is generally very good, with a couple of minor exceptions (wing halves). It looks pretty accurate to me, and unlike the Zvezda/Revell version includes separate parts for the Trent 1000 and GEnX engines (although to be honest the differences are quite subtle). The only error I have noted is the APU intake being moulded on the wrong side of the fin. Panel lines are a little on the heavy side, particularly on the fuselage. I had originally planned this as a LOT Polish Airlines aircraft, but having got two sets of decals (both laser printed) wasn't really all that happy with the resolution (being particularly picky really), so I've gone with the kit decals. Coincidentally, I also saw this aircraft when it visited the Farnborough Airshow back in 2010 when it did a flypast with two Spitfires (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boeing/Boeing-787-8-Dreamliner/1745320/L/&sid=a9351297298616bba1b5f732614e8323). This is meant to be a quick (for me) build, so I've dispensed with the landing gear and done it in flight. It's painted in Tamiya acrylic spray and Alclad laquers for the leading edges/APU exhaust. Engines and stabilisers are still to be done, and it's still awaiting a clear gloss coat of some description: Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr Untitled by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr I still need to tidy up the tail decals a little. The kit decals are alright, if a little thick and on the matt side. Hope you like it! Cheers, Andrew