Search the Community
Showing results for tags '58-1155'.
Hi everyone! Finally I have got D-10 ready for RFI :). It has been a long slog, aggravated but various factors, including a lack of available modelling time across the past months. Overall it has been very enjoyable, but challenging. As many of you will now know from my WIP, she is F-105D-5-RE 58-1155 (c/n D-10) operated as a factory machine by Republic at Farmingdale between mid-1960 and mid-1961 for fatigue and structural integrity testing . Very few images of her exist, particularly in colour. I found two of the latter with the help of this forum and a couple of stateside contacts. B&W images are essentially all shown in Lou Drendel’s book “Thud”. I have therefore used a little “modeller’s licence” to create the build as almost all images show differences. I have combined these to produce the model. Here is an example of her in her testing days: Having then spent time at Eglin AFB on further evaluation programmes she still exists, following a service career with the District of Columbia Air National Guard at Andrews AFB until 1981, and is displayed fictitiously as “59-1771” in the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, Florida. She looks like this now: My WIP is here: I will take this moment to express thanks to, and heap praise on, Giorgio N on this forum for his help and skilled production of the vinyl masks with his cutter that enabled the painting of the fuselage flashes and the background NMF outlines of the lettering and numbers and the Star-and-bars. The images for these were then scanned and used to produce the black outline decals. She was NMF, rather than the later overall zinc finish, plus the painted flashes so I’ve opted for a light panel weathering with Flory and some Tamiya powders. This also fills and accentuates some of the deeper features, such as the NACA nose inlet. So what did I use? Trumpeter F-105D Thunderchief 1/72 Aires cockpit set Aires wheel set Decals were old Microscale Thud sets for stencilling, lifting points,warning marks, etc, Xtradecal black striping, Xtradecal Star-and-Bar and Ebay-purchased clear decal sheet (for numbering, lettering, outlining, etc) Paints were Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium metalcote, 27001 Flat Aluminium metalcote, 27003 Steel metalcote, 33 Matt Black, 99 Matt Lemon Yellow, 147 Matt Light Aircraft Grey, 34 Matt White, 226 Matt Interior Green, 66 Matt Olive Drab, XX Grey Wash, Glosscote, Satincote, Mattcote, Testors Model Master FS28915 Fluorescent Orange-Red, Hasegawa Weapons Set I for the LAU-3 pods Plastruct rod and a Master MIG-21UM for the pitot, plus some other plastic from a Trumpeter F-100 ladder. Flory Dirt and Tamiya Weathering Powders for weathering Tamiya thin cement, Squadron fillers and a lot of Tamiya tape! I hope you like her! Martin PS: in reality the Orange-Red is more orange and close to the coloured images of her. It just blew the sensor of my camera
Hi all, I have finally summoned the courage to embark on the first of what I hope will be three Thud builds over the coming weeks. I'll send out my previous caveat that it will take a while as I have to fit it around many other things and time is short generally. None of that will dampen my enthusiasm, although I am impatient by nature and you may need to hold me back if I am rushing for the sake of finishing. The goal is a representative build and not a half-way copy. Many of you will have seen and been a part of my recent deliberations on WIP about this first machine, which is different to say the very least. As always she is being built in the Gentleman's scale - 1/72. Is there really anything else? I grew up with 1/72 and will stick with it. The follow on builds will be F-105D 59-1749 "Mr Toad/Marilee E" and then F-105B 54-0107 in her Phase 5 colours. So, 58-1155 looked like this: She was a test airframe that went on to operate with the USAF and then the Air National Guard and now resides in USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin AFB, marked erroneously as 59-1771/JV "Ohio Express". The debate on WIP has mainly been about the fin/rudder and nose "balloon" colour. A poor (in my view) image that is available shows this to be a pale yellow, like something you'd get from Dulux for your bathroom in the 1970s. It isn't my cup of tea but, of course, if that is what it was then it will be painted that way. My challenge is to prove this to myself. Other than that she was natural metal, International Red flashes outlined in black, (silver)-outlined lettering and Star-and-Bar, Olive/Green spine and a black anti-flash panel behind and in front of the canopy. You can see that she had a longer pitot with some test vanes and a ventral fins without arrestor hook. She also pre-dated the wire duct along the spine and the rear fuselage scoops normally seen on later Thuds. I have a couple more rewfernce shots but if anyone out there has more I'd love to see them, especially anything that confirms (or otherwise) those yellow areas ;). So far I am in the "gathering" stage - getting my bits together and starting to make a work plan. This is what I have so far: This includes an Aires cockpit for each, pitot (for Mr Toad), wheels, canopy masks, and more. Well wish me luck! I need it!!!!!! Martin