Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

421 Excellent

About mdesaxe

  • Rank
    New Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Location
    Caumont-sur-Durance, France

Recent Profile Visitors

1,146 profile views
  1. Bertrand du Guesclin was born not all that far from where I Iive now. The painting of the figure and shield are well beyond anything I could accomplish. Nevertheless, aren't the double headed eagle and bend rather anaemic? Maurice
  2. Tea is a really bad idea if you are concerned about longevity. Almost all tea contains tannic acid (some, especially herbal tea, can contain citric acid). Either will affect all natural rigging line over time, causing it to become fragile at best or disintegrate at worst. If you want to dye rigging line (or sails, for that matter) always use purpose-made fabric dyes. If that seems too extreme, you can get away with using wood stain instead. I recently retired after a 25-year career in maritime museum curation and saw many dozens of models whose rigging died from tea dye.
  3. Here's the photograph. The original scans for both images are much larger but would take up too much space on the site. I could possibly send them to you if you PM me. Maurice
  4. Any help? (From: Imperial Chinese Navy Ships, 1855-1911, a Chinese-language publication by Guong Chun published in Hong Kong 2013). This also has a very large photograph but it is across the gutter and too large to scan easily - I might try if you are interested. Maurice
  5. This is rather a tangent on this really excellent build. I have just started work on making a 1:250-scale model of one of Laird's 30-knotters from the 1895-1896 Programme. My subject, however, was named Griffon, whereas the next use of the name for a destroyer, the subject of this build, was as Griffin. This strikes me as very odd and I wonder if anyone has an explanation. Maurice
  6. From my experience working with paper models I can pass on a couple of things that may help make the join less obvious. First, do not cut on the printed black line at the join but cut on its inside, thus eliminating it. The difference in the overall length of the deck will be in the order of 0.02mm. Secondly, it pays to lightly burnish the cut edges on both the top and the bottom of the paper to eliminate the very slightly higher edge caused by the knife blade. The disadvantage is that the burnished paper will be shinier than the surrounding area but a coat of flat finish will fix that problem
  7. The photograph was taken in March or April 1991, very early in the actual manifestation on a more country-wide scale (outside Guangdong and Shanghai) of Deng Xiaoping's "capitalism with a communist face". Wearing crisp white business shirts had become a way for people to demonstrate their professional status after 40 years of everyone wearing washed-out blue Mao suits. Maurice
  8. I had to go through folders full of photographs to find those I took of these shining locomotives. Here is one showing the crew polishing their steed. This is just before a first scheduled morning departure from Xiamen. Maurice
  9. When I was working in China in the early 1990s, the rail system divided into three sections as far as motive power was concerned. The northern division used electric locomotives, the central division used diesels, and the southeast division still used steam locomotives. All the rolling stock was pretty shabby (I am being polite) and so were the diesel and electric locomotives. But every trip I took in the southeast was behind a gleaming black steam locomotive with its red wheels trimmed with white tyres - and the crews invariably spent quite a bit of time before starting from the terminal each
  10. Profil24 make both long nose (Le Mans 1955 winner) and short nose (Le Mans 1956 winner) D-Types in 1:24 scale. Resin kits and not cheap but really astonishingly detailed. Maurice
  11. For what it may be worth, I happened to be looking through my copy of the late David Lyons' book The First Destroyers. In the section "Colours and visibility" he notes "The protective compositions applied below the waterline of destroyers at this time seem usually to have been black in colour. For example, in March 1899 Hayes' black protective composition was used on Teazer, Wizard and Conflict." citing Cover 128A/228. He noted that C-in-C Portsmouth, Admiral Charles Hotham, wrote on 19 January 1901 to the Admiralty: "destroyers should be painted same colour and bottoms black before delivery f
  12. That is what they said to me after SADF drafted me and before I spent large parts of the next four years hovering over Angola. Maurice
  13. Steve Usually tight fits are good - they ensure accuracy and integrity of the basic structure. Maurice
  14. Steve This looks like a good choice for a first model. There is a build log for this kit that you may find useful on another site that also has a gallery by another model builder who chose it for his first wooden ship model project. I do not know if it is permissible to post the link on this site--perhaps one of the moderators can comment. Maurice
  • Create New...