Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Kiwidave4

  • Birthday 12/26/1945

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    New Zealand

Recent Profile Visitors

6,943 profile views

Kiwidave4's Achievements

Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member (4/9)



  1. What's the difference between a cavalry horse and a draught horse? One darts into the fray. The other delivers beer.
  2. Very nice. You are building up a fleet! As a young apprentice lad I worked on some of the Skyliner conversions. The end result was quite something in the day, especially the re-modelled interior which made it look more like an airliner and less like a railway carriage.
  3. I know that the little lights on the wingtips are called navigation lights because the pilot gets to where he is going by steering between them.
  4. What a lovely Goldie! Opting for a race bike was a good decision, you have really captured the look of a typical 'Clubmans' machine from the period.
  5. I no longer believe anything I see in the newspapers....unless its fish and chips. And then I take it with a pinch of salt.
  6. I knew you would say that! As David says in his original post there are plenty of photos of Conquerors that clearly do not have DBG extinguishers. That does not mean that DBG was not the official colour, it simply means that there are other 'right' answers. I have no doubt that the period when bull was fashionable could have contributed to the use of colours other than DBG. The point is that other colour/colours were used, and there is plenty of evidence to support that fact. As a civvie building armour I have always taken great pains to get things right, and have discovered by doing so that 'right' is not always the 'official' way. If I was to build a model of a specific Conqueror, at a specific time, using reference photos that clearly show red extinguishers, should I paint them DBG because that's what the regs said? Or should I make an historically correct replica? Thats the real question.
  7. Having just recently completed three different Conqueror builds I have spent a fair bit of time poring over contemporary photos. There were of course different extinguishers on Conqueror (and other Post War tanks). The Graviner methyl bromide extinguishers fitted to the front bins of the Conqueror may have been DBG at some time, but most of my ref photos show them to be a different colour to the tank, and the contemporary colour images show a bright red; - even an orange colour, but we must take into account the colour film of the time and years of image reproduction. The neck was natural brass, although I know from first hand experience that in aviation use these extinguishers also had (non-passivated) cadmium plated necks well before the time Conqueror was in service. The Pyrene carbon tet extinguishers fitted to the rear bins were brass bodied and from my civilian experience left the factory in matt black finish. Seems reasonable to assume that when supplied to the MoD they would also be in matt black or perhaps the contract would specify DBG? Like most 'correct colour' questions there is probably many right answers!
  8. If you watch 'Jaws' backwards it becomes a heartwarming tale about a shark that gives disabled people arms and legs.
  9. Having my ears syringed was one of the most painful things I've ever done. I can now hear my wife.
  10. Heard a 'different' engine note this morning and just got to the window in time to see a Percival Proctor pass immediately overhead. Believe there are two or three airworthy examples here but only personally know of the one based at Hood. May have been it as we are not a long way from there as the Proctor flies. Makes an old man happy to see an aircraft that I can instantly recognise!
  11. When I started this thread I did mention that I was not sure if I had another model in me. After my last update in January I tackled the sideskirts but by the time I had them sorted and was confronted by the tow cable clamps I suddenly lost interest. So the poor little thing has been sitting neglected waiting for the day when I can muster up some enthusiasm. Unfortunately the jobs that need doing are ones I dont want to do! The engine deck mesh covers, the aforementioned tow cable bits and the headlight assemblies are the major jobs. The other stuff is really just fiddly bits like the drivers hatch stay and guides, rear view mirrors and the like. I have gathered six potential crew members and a choice of heads/headgear but I am hoping to get some definitive evidence of the gear they would have worn before tackling them. So I decided to assemble the bits I have got in the hopes that it may just give me a push in the right direction. Decided the Tamiya driver deserved change from being stuck to a sprue so let him give it a go but resisted the temptation to go Brrmm, Brmmm!
  12. Thats nice, and my favourite Victor scheme. As a young aircraft mad boy growing up in St Albans we lived under the approach path to Radlett. The Victor captured my imagination then and is still my favourite military design. It looked pretty futuristic to a small boy, and six decades later looks pretty futuristic to this old man!
  13. The title of the thread caught my eye as the RNZAF operates NH90 and we do have a bit of a history with bad purchase decisions. According to Wikipedia we have the highest hour NH90 due to the types high serviceability rate!!!!
  14. For much of my adult life I've been obsessed with Herons but never seen one. I've read about them, watched films about them, I've walked the rivers and estuaries for miles, spent weeks in hides, still not seen a Heron. Finally this week I decided I would abandon my fruitless pursuit of Herons and move on. Still, when I look back on the Heron period of my life....I've no Egrets.
  15. The Beastie Boys have written a five part anthology. Parts A to D are free, but you have to fight for your right to Part E.
  • Create New...