Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

31 Good

About R_harrison

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  1. Hi guys with all the super turbo charger talk earlier I thought I would put this link out there for anybody interested. Greg's channel is great in general for lots of in depth discussion on the performance of WWII aircraft, his series on the P47 in particular stands out. Anyways, awesome looking build. Threads like this are an amazing source of ideas and knowledge for people like me who are just getting back into modeling, so thank you for posting.
  2. Hey guys, just another update. I mixed up some oil paints to do some streaks on the bottom and near the fuel tanks. I was pretty happy how the oil streaks on the bottom turned out, along with the fuel streaks on the external tanks, The wing tanks didn't really work, The fuel stain on the wings aren't really visible, which is okay because I was trying to go real subtle with these anyways, but the white spirits I used to shape the fuel stain seemed to mess with the acrylic gloss coat I had on the plane. It looks like there is a bit of hazy film left behind where I used the white spirits around t
  3. So this was my first attempt at adding exhaust or smoke effects, I am still struggling a little with creating really fine lines and "daggers" but I think its more just a need for practice then anything else. For the shell ejectors and engine exhaust I used Tamiya Deck Tan -> a Dark Grey I mixed -> Smoke. I am pretty happy how they turned out. The gun exhaust I just did the dark grey then smoke. I didn't mind this too much on the bottom of the plane but I really struggled to see it on the olive drag on top, so I ended up putting down more then I intended and it looks kind of chunky. I thi
  4. Tonight I got a little time to redo the panel lines, I don't know if it really made much a difference as the olive drab is already pretty dark, but I find doing panel lines weirdly satisfying so I enjoyed myself! You can see in the first picture, the propeller dome doesn't want to sit quite flush to the cowling. Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this other then push harder? I was thinking of trying to drill it out just a tiny bit, but then I am worried it would be easy to make the hole too big and then the propeller dome would look ou
  5. Alrighty, just put in a couple of hours doing chipping and working on trying a silver wash on screw heads. I did some chipping with a sponge first, using Tamiya Flat Aluminum and Mission Models YZC. I did this before the screwhead wash, I think next time I will do it the other way around screwheads and then the chipping. I think I would be able to space my out the effect more to my liking that way. Also I will do the chipping with an enamel paint next time so that I can clean it up with white spirits. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I could clean up the Tamiya Flat Aluminum in a way t
  6. So far the only weathering techniques I have used are making a thin mix of oil paints and white spirits for the panel lines and doing some chipping. So I started off with my panel lines, the one step of weathering I actually feel like I have a handle on. As well you can see some of the real basic scratch building I tried out in the wheel well. This is at best really loosely based on reality and was really more me just trying to get some practice in with these techniques vs trying to make this look like the actual wheel wells. The little bottle
  7. So after moving on from the build it was time for paint. The top half would be done in Tamiya's olive drab, the bottom in the natural grey and the front of the cowl and spinner in Tamiya's red and white (unfortunately no flat red to use), as well I decided to paint on the white striping instead of using the decals as I just couldn't imagine those decals would look great and I figured the stripes would be manageable for me. As well this was my first time using a black basing technique and I have to say I really liked the result! I had tried lining the panels on the 109's and didn't really like
  8. Alright so I am currently in the weathering stage of the build but I have been taking some pictures as I have moved along with the kit, this first post is just going to be the back log of what I have worked on so far but honestly the info in this one might be a little sparse (at the time I started the kit I wasn't sure if I would be confident enough in this one to start posting or not) The first few pictures are of the cockpit and instrument panel. On the two 109's I had used decals on the instrument panel and really hated how they turned out, so for this kit I tried to hand paint
  9. Hi everyone. I am brand new to posting on the forum (I have been lurking for a while learning lots from all the great posts on here). I have just got back into modeling the last few three or four months after something like 15+ years away from the hobby. I grew up making lots of model airplanes, but always in a fairly limited capacity. As in red tube Revell glue and trying to brush paint everything by hand, limited capacity! Well after my long hiatus and watching modeling videos on YouTube for a year or so I finally decided to take the plunge and get back into things at a bit of a deeper level
  10. I don't know if this will be super helpful to you. But I saw a video suggestion from somebody recently. I unfortunately can't find the link but the process they used and I have once now with success so far is. - Measure out some reference point on your model and on the paint scheme instructions in your manual. - Scan the paint scheme instructions into you computer - Using the ratio of your two reference measurements resize the scanned image to match your model (GIMP works well for this and is free) - Print the resized paint scheme and then cut out the relevant sectio
  • Create New...