Jump to content

NZSpiderman

Members
  • Posts

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    New Zealand

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

NZSpiderman's Achievements

Newbie

Newbie (1/9)

19

Reputation

  1. This model turned out to be a very slow long build that started in 2003 and finished in March 2021. Part of the reason for the length of time was a move from the UK to New Zealand which resulted in the build being stuck in storage for 8 years. Before I go into the build I want to point out I consider myself a very amateur modeller with limited and rather ham-fisted skills. The finish is far from what I would have liked and is a reflection of my lack of skill! I wanted to create a more dynamic build and started with creating CAD drawings of the trailing edge and leading edge flaps from OEM data which I then modified to work on the Revell kit. As I was working on the type for a living, I was in a good position to get images and drawings to correct the kit as best I could. The original kit was the Lufthansa livery. I supplemented this with parts from the British Airways livery kit. Kit upgrades included my 3D printed flaps and leading edges, 3D printed ‘engine cores’ which were for roller bearings and 3D printed compressor fans and spinners... ...photoetch detailing for rain gutters, antenna and pitot tubes, and a heap of additional and home printed decals. Virgin Atlantic paint was kindly supplied by Virgin Atlantic (the paint they used for display models). The wings were painted in Tamiya acrylic (a mix to get closer to BAC707 grey), Alclad 2 duraluminium for the leading edges and engine inlet lips, and alclad 2 magnesium for the in-spar coroguard painted areas. Originally I was clear varnishing with Xtra Colour acrylic clear gloss but after my move to NZ I used Alclad 2 flat, matte and gloss lacquer clears... the gloss has always remained slightly uncured for some annoying reason and the model is only handled wearing latex gloves!! The diorama was painted with acrylics and expansion joints picked out with B2 pencil. LEDs were white, green and blue 3mm. Appologies for the background of my garden and garage!!... this is the finished display.
  2. This model turned out to be a very slow long build that started in 2003 and finished in March 2021. Part of the reason for the length of time was a move from the UK to New Zealand which resulted in the build being stuck in storage for 8 years. Before I go into the build I want to point out I consider myself a very amateur modeller with limited and rather ham-fisted skills. The finish is far from what I would have liked and is a reflection of my lack of skill! I wanted to create a more dynamic build and started with creating CAD drawings of the trailing edge and leading edge flaps from OEM data which I then modified to work on the Revell kit. As I was working on the type for a living, I was in a good position to get images and drawings to correct the kit as best I could. The original kit was the Lufthansa livery. I supplemented this with parts from the British Airways livery kit. Kit upgrades included my 3D printed flaps and leading edges, 3D printed ‘engine cores’ which were for roller bearings and 3D printed compressor fans and spinners... ...photoetch detailing for rain gutters, antenna and pitot tubes, and a heap of additional and home printed decals. Virgin Atlantic paint was kindly supplied by Virgin Atlantic (the paint they used for display models). The wings were painted in Tamiya acrylic (a mix to get closer to BAC707 grey), Alclad 2 duraluminium for the leading edges and engine inlet lips, and alclad 2 magnesium for the in-spar coroguard painted area. Originally I was clear varnishing with Xtra Colour acrylic clear gloss but after my move to NZ I used Alclad 2 flat, matte and gloss lacquer clears... the gloss has always remained slightly uncured for some annoying reason and the model is only handled wearing latex gloves!! The diorama was painted with acrylics and expansion joints picked out with B2 pencil. LEDs were white, green and blue 3mm. Appologies for the background of my garden and garage!!... this is the finished display.
  3. Hi Gimme Shelter, I am hoping you monitor this as I would love to hear back from you. I am the guy that drew up the flaps and leading edges you used. I would love your feedback on how it went installing them. I only realised recently, the extensive installation instructions I had put with the two sets of part had disappeared from the shop site. I have since replaced these, though the images still wont load which is very annoying. Based on the fact you have done this 'blind' you have done a pretty great job. Below is an image of a Virgin -400 i am currently working on. The leading edges i have not really started to install and I prefer to fit them once the pylons are on to get the positioning.
×
×
  • Create New...