Jump to content

jackroadkill

Gold Member
  • Posts

    1,737
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jackroadkill

  1. Now I know what's been missing from my life!
  2. True; I'm still here and I even annoy my dog.
  3. I assume you mean these little darlings?! I'm finding that as my decalling skills increase and my methods evolve I'm developing more patience, so more tend to go on now than did previously. I posted a similar thread a while ago and the consensus among the responses was "do what you decide is best for your model", and I took that and ran!
  4. Despite being sure that I'd got my airbrush working well I did a pretty naff job of the white elements of the black-basing, but at least it's on there now. I may well revisit this as I've unclogged my airbrush and ordered some new bits for it. Next stage - starting the splinter camo scheme!
  5. Or did I...? A pretty manky second stage to the black-basing, to be honest. I subsequently ordered a new needle and nozzle for the airbrush and then dug a surprising amount of cack out of it. I might have another go at improving the white on the black-basing, especially as I need to paint the entire fin white in any case.
  6. Absolutely; certainly when airbrushing, CC's enamels are far and away a nicer experience all round.
  7. @Luke1199, I'm looking forward to this one, seeing as you did a grand job on your first build for the GB. Thanks for the tip-off regarding the plastic and sprue gates, too.
  8. Thanks Bill, I am, too. There's been a good deal of fettling needed but I'm happy with the results so far.
  9. We're still recruiting, folks, so feel free to sign up. You're ll more than welcome.
  10. Blimey, that's turned out alright, hasn't it?! absolutely superb, sir. And what a great story, too.
  11. I managed to get some time in this morning to try and limit the damage on the Stuka. Nothing outrageous happened but I did finally manage to get a decent black-base applied to the upper surfaces. My entrant for the F-5 STGB is taking up most of the modelling time at the moment but the Stuka is hanging in there. Hopefully I can keep momentum up somewhat. Cheers, JRK
  12. After a week which seemed long on work and short of kit-mangling time I finally managed to get a crack at the F-5 this morning and did a quick bit of tidying up and got the black-base sprayed. I seem to have overcome the airbrush difficulties I was having and the new spray booth system is working very well. The black coat revealed a few small areas that need touching up, but overall I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. It's easy to see why the producers of Top Gun went for a black finish for the "MiG 28"; this airframe looks so sexy in a plain black finish.
  13. Stuck a cheeky bid on eBay and today this arrived:
  14. Ali, this is a nice kit (provided you follow what @Troy Smith says about the wheel well!) and it looks superb when built. I've done one and have another four (?) in my stash which I must get around to building soon.
  15. Going out on my friend John's birthday in 1997.
  16. That would be ideal but I’m not holding my breath!
  17. It may well be, but that’s not what came in it! A clue: a short-run kit made for / by a UK supplier who only make two kits, both of the same jet aircraft. For some reason this one was on sale because the box has no label.
  18. Okay, I'll admit it; I've done such a poor job of the painting so far that I've just done this: I've ripped off any paint that will come off the upper surfaces and I'm going to black-base them properly. I started masking for the RLM71 and decided that there was no point in continuing to polish the turd, so I'm going to do what I should have done all along - a proper black-base and some ALM vinyl masks. Cheers, JRK
  19. A wee bit of progress! Cruddy pictures, I'm afraid, and you can't really tell what they're of! However, that's a win for me because it means that I must have done a half-decent job of fettling the intakes onto the fuselage, as they really didn't fit. At all. No, really. Annoyingly, in the second picture you can also see where I need to use some more filler to run the LERX into the intake fairing, because the two parts did not want to make any sort of close acquaintance. Much filing, sanding and fettling was needed to get things anywhere near right. In this picture you can see that I've also fitted the strakes(?) to the upper surfaces of the wings. Naturally their profiles don't match those of the wings, so there will need to be a bit of alteration done to make them look like that haven't been fabricated onsite by a drunk in a darkened room using only a hammer and an old oil drum. Happily, the fin went on without any dramas and the airframe is beginning to take shape now. The next step (well, after the aforementioned fettling) will be to black-base the whole thing and see what sort of shape it looks. I'm not that confident about the engine fairings at the rear of the fuselage, because the raised panel lines and clumsy rivet detailing, combined with the fact that the fuselage upper is 0.5mm wider than the lower might make for some fun. Still, you never know, I might be able to pull something out of the bag. I don't know when this will be, as there's a busy week up ahead. Cheers, JRK
×
×
  • Create New...