Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

93 Good

About fastterry

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Perth, Western Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

196 profile views
  1. This book also made quite an impression on me when I first read it some 60 years ago and inspired a flying model (control line) and a complete rebuild to a reasonable standard of the AMT 1/48 Tempest both in Clostermann's markings. In the ensuing years there was questions asked particularly about his claims and I have a copy of the reply from him to readers of, I think, Scale Aircraft Modelling addressing the issue. About 10 years ago I managed to collect all four volumes of 2nd Tactical Airforce by Christopher Shores & Chris Thomas and in an idle moment went through Clostermann's book and
  2. Not the easiest kit to start your new journey, but you've killed the seat and cockpit. TRF
  3. The plywood fairings were new to me too, just when you think you've got the subject covered along comes some more info. TRF
  4. Can't add anything about the colour of the wing root fairings but according to a poster on an excellent Large Scale Planes K-4 build, the fairings were plywood from January 1944 on Messerschmitt G-6's. As production of the K-4 started somewhere around July 44 they should've had plywood fairings also. I mention this so that one shouldn't use a silver pencil to show wear in this area on a late 109, presumably G-10's as well. TRF
  5. One other thing that I forgot is that the wing is too far back by about 2mm which is a similar problem to the 1/48 SH Spitfire kits. TRF
  6. Hi Tokyo Raider, there will no doubt be a few more BMers along in a minute but I will relate my experiences with this kit, Pretty much as soon as it was released the kit fuselage was criticised for being too deep, the radiators are too small, the spinner was too big and the props were the wrong shape and not long enough. Daco Products released a resin kit set which included a new nose, spinner, props, radiators and rudders as well as some smaller details. I bought two sets, one each for the Mk XIV C and XIV E that I had in the stash but I didn't proceed with the builds due to the fuselage dept
  7. Hi Werdna, I have three photos of this aircraft that I have saved from various sources on the internet. My take on your questions are: 1. It does look like there might have been a rough coat (from a brush?) of 81 (darker than 82 I think) applied over the top of the engine cowl. 2. The stbd side of the under cowl is certainly 76 however the port side is definitely different, with what could be yellow, again roughly and lightly covered with a dark colour. Could be a replacement half of the lower cowl from an aircraft with yellow in this area and being toned down for ground camo purpose
  8. Thank you very much Bob, I was starting to think that as a WW2 kind of guy that the jet guys were giving me the cold shoulder. TRF
  9. One thing that occurred to me in an idle moment last night is that there are two 'C' wings, one set with one radiator (Mk V) and the other set with two radiators (Mk VII, VIII, IX etc). The armament layout is the same for both wings but does the Mk V C wing have the forward raked uc of the twin radiator C wings? Just thinking out aloud and too lazy to go through the books. TRF
  10. In a related matter I have just finished a build of an Academy 1/48 F-4B and I thought I might use the spare stabs not used in the build to fit to one of my unstarted Hasegawa F-4s. The Academy stabs are longer (by 3mm) and wider (by about 1.5mm) than the Hasegawa ones. Are there any dimensions available to check which ones are correct or am I up for some Hypersonic ones as well? TRF
  11. Ok the extra radiator probably seals it and the fact that the 60 series Merlin with the mass further forward would require the extra rake of the u/c standard on the C universal wing. Thank you for your replies. TRF
  12. Thanks Alex that's the beastie in question. TRF
  13. I don't have a photo hosting service so will refer you to www.absa3945.com/PertesBritagne/CotesArmor/12juin/moffat_wilson-GB.htm to see the photo of the aircraft in question. As stated previously MK471 is the aircraft in which Moffat-Wilson was killed and would have been a standard lateish Mk IX with a C wing and aero vee carb intake as per the Montex profile. The aircraft in the photo the pilot is standing in front of only has the single cannon barrels on either side and a short carb intake so my contention it is a different aircraft to MK471. According to 165 squadron records they had BR601,
  14. On another forum a poster wishes to build a 1/32 model of a Mk IX Spitfire flown by P/O Donald Moffat-Wilson. The aircraft is featured on a Montex mask set as MK471 coded SK-N from 165 sqn. and is shown as a standard Mk IX with C wing and aero vee carb intake. The poster also adds a photo of the pilot standing in front of his Mk IX aircraft which appears to show a B wing and an early short carb intake and for good measure it also has a torpedo drop tank fitted. According to Morgan & Shacklady the first 100 Mk IXs were converted from MK V aircraft and featured both B & C wings in the BS
  15. fastterry

    ICM kits

    There is a comprehensive rundown on the ICM Tiger Moth compared to the old Matchbox/Revell and Silver Wings offerings over on Large Scale Planes. The ICM Tiger is far from perfect. Not knocking ICM as I have their Gladiator and I-153 and have the CR42 on order. TRF
  • Create New...