Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

88 Good

About lewis25049

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I haven't made a whirlybird yet, but have a few in my stash I've been wanting to attack. Please add me to the GB, I'll contribute with a 1/72 Black Hawk in RAAF Aircraft Research and Development Unit livery. Thanks!
  2. Latest off the bench is the Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18F Super Hornet. I built this kit using an Eduard detail set and RAAF decals from Ronin, as well as some bombs from the Hasegawa 1/72 U.S. Bombs and Rocket Launcher kit. This was my first time using an extensive PE detail set, which included cockpit, canopy and external details. I particularly struggled with the external details and canopy PE. If anyone has some tips for handling PE during the build process, please let me know. Whilst I think the results look good, I think my next few kits will be purely OOB for a breather. This particular scheme and loadout was based on a few photos of this particular aircraft on Operation Okra in the Middle East in 2017 (see below). Cheers First, the references: And my version:
  3. The detail is amazing for 1/72! Stunning! Please share your secrets
  4. Latest off the bench is the Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat (Weekend Edition). I used this build as a palate-cleanser after fighting with an Italeri kit for my previous build. I wanted a nice, simple build where I could focus on the finish rather than copious amounts of filler and sanding etc. Fit was very good, only slight sanding required to remove seam lines. I tried black-basing to see what effect this technique has under darker colours, but found it difficult to get much tonal variation. I originally finished it as a clean model, but wasn't entirely happy with it. After sitting on display for 24 hrs I decided to use it as a test bed for some post-shading and highlighting techniques with oils and pastels on the upper wing surfaces. Also attempted some exhaust stains with chalk pastels and chipping with a sponge. I generally struggle in the weathering phase, so any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Built OOB with the exception of antenna wire with EZ-Line. Cheers
  5. Greetings all, This is the latest off my bench - the Italeri 1/72 FW-189 A-2, and my first showing on Britmodeller, so hopefully this works! Perhaps it was poor design, or poor workmanship on my part, but I ended up with 3-5 mm gaps between the fuselage and the wings, top and bottom. This required A LOT of putty, and a lot of sanding to make it relatively smooth. At the end of the day, I operated on my usual "close enough is good enough" and cracked on. The landing gear components didn't together well either, requiring some last minute adjustments. They're a bit crooked, but at least its standing. I decided to try the Eastern Front winter camouflage scheme, using Vallejo Chipping Medium. This was my first time using it, and it didn't quite come out how I expected, but I think the end result is OK. I applied the decals as per the instructions, though I'm pretty sure stencils would have been under the white doping. Either way, I think it creates a nice contrast against the white. At the end of the day, this is one build that I'm glad is off my bench. Whilst the construction was a painful process, I think the end result has come out alright. Critique welcome.
  6. lewis25049


    Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm in Canberra at the moment, so whilst it's very smokey we are thankfully not in the thick of things. I hope your relatives are safe.
  7. lewis25049


    Hi all, I started building models relatively recently (mid-2017) at age 30. My focus is on 1/72 aircraft, though I have dabbled in other scales. I currently live in Australia with my partner and 4.5 mth old son. I've lurked these forums since I started, and have found so many excellent reviews, tips and hints, WIPs and complete works of art on this site. Here are a couple of my latest builds: Hasegawa 1/72 F-16D Fighting Falcon: https://imgur.com/gallery/YORnxFs Antares 1/72 Curtiss Seahawk: https://imgur.com/gallery/QA9IYGG Looking forward to being a part of this community and learning so much more from it! Thanks, - Matt
  • Create New...