Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Qel

Members
  • Content Count

    7
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

44 Good

About Qel

  • Rank
    Newbie

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    United Kingdom

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. OK, thanks. Guess I'll give it a few months and see if production/distribution picks up a bit and prices come down, I see Hannants have a couple listed as Backorder so perhaps I'll wait for that as knowing my luck I'd get hit with import duty from Japan.
  2. As I've for some reason gotten the urge to do some SW kits in some expanded universe schemes I've been looking at these. Are the 1/72 kits from the older films (Y-Wing, A-Wing, standard X-wing etc) not in production anymore? Only seem to be available from sellers in Japan at the moment and the Revell kits that are otherwise available aren't exciting me, plus their scales are all over the place.
  3. I've always had a certain fascination with the Horten flying wing ever since playing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe as a child on my parents PC wayback when. As you can see a pair featured on the boxart and stood out as a unique design for young me, although I seem to recall I enjoyed flying the P-47 Thunderbolt more in the actual game... Having seen several great builds of Horten aircraft on here I thought I'd have a go at the Revell 1/72 kit. Overall the kit went together OK. I'm not very experienced as a model maker and had some trouble getting the outer wings attached to the fuselage without leaving huge gaps or the wings sitting at funny angles. After plenty of time filing and dry fitting the parts I then managed to create more problems for myself when attempting to fill the gaps that remained so the finish in those areas is far from what it could have been. I also had trouble with a couple of the decals, especially the large red walk way markings decal on the left wing which didn't bed down properly in places despite the gloss surface and this unfortunately stands out in the light. I'd have liked to have a better finish but I think the camo came out as well as I could have hoped and I was just keen to get something finished in the end. I've been looking at some of the Zoukei-Mura Horten kits available now so in a few years if my skill level has improved perhaps I'll have another go at this subject with one of them.
  4. Looks great, always been interested in these since playing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe far too many years ago, the box art featured at least two of these taking on allied bombers. I had seen this kit online and considered buying, but if it was that bad to put together perhaps I'll hold off for now.
  5. Thanks for the comments and feedback As for what's next... well as much as I'd like to buy some of the lovely kits available online I do have an Airfix 'Victoria Cross Icons' set someone bought me a while back sitting in the corner, so I suppose I should do some of that before buying more. From what I can see these are all pretty old kits so I may just have a go at the Blenheim Mk IV or one of the others, I imagine I'll get plenty of practice filling and sanding at least.
  6. Longtime reader but first time posting here, this is my first finished model in about 20 years, Airfix's Spitfire Mk.1a A01071B from 92 Squadron, France 1940 . This is also my first attempt at airbrushing, masking or varnishing anything so it was quite the learning experience for me but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out in the end, certainly better than my attempts with enamel paints and brushes all those years ago. Kit went together mostly OK but had a little trouble getting the fuselage to fit into the assembled wings, the canopy was also a poor fit, I did trim the back of the cockpit a little but still couldn't get it to fit perfectly. As I mentioned, first time airbrushing and masking, the green went on a little thick in places so you see some ridges, particularly where the line passes under decals. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to smooth this out somehow without having to respray everything so decided to leave it and just try to improve on it next time. The decals, particularly the lettering and red squares on the leading edge of the wings were a bit of a nightmare at times but I think they came out OK. In the end I decided not to attempt weathering or panel line washes on this as I just wanted to get something finished but perhaps I'll try that on my next model. Enjoyed the process a lot, nice to do something that doesn't involve a computer screen for once, now I just need to find somewhere suitably safe to put it...
×
×
  • Create New...