Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jon Bryon

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Jon Bryon

  1. Thanks. The description of how I made the pull handles is at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii/. Essentially it's just cotton thread coated with PVA. Jon
  2. This is the final of four 1/48 Phantoms I built concurrently: Academy's F-4N in the kit markings. Yes, you read that right: Academy got it wrong and it's an F-4N, not the F-4B they mis-marketed it as. Aftermarket is Quickboost resin seats and Hypersonic resin tailplanes and AC intakes. Finish is Mr Color varnished with GX100 polished out with Micromesh. More words and pictures at https://jonbryon.com/academy-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4n-phantom-ii/ Comments welcome and thanks for looking. Jon
  3. Here is my third Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom that I've built concurrently: a USMC RF-4B from 1979 in the kit provided markings for VMPF-3. The only additions are True Details resin seats and a nose pitot made from Albion Alloys brass tubing. The paint is all Mr Color finished with Tamiya Semi-Gloss. A full build article and more pictures can be found at: https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-rf-4b-phantom-ii/ Comments welcome and thanks for looking.. Jon
  4. In the UK the Revell boxing has generally been available for a lot less than the ICM boxing. Jon
  5. There's gonna be a fight at your stand anyway, for the Canberra canopies Jon
  6. The Trumpy Flagon-A is more like an A than their F is like an F, if you follow me. My list of problems with the F is here: https://jonbryon.com/su15tm-html/ The list of problems for the A should be shorter... The Flagon-E was a Su-15T, not TM. The 'Boeing Killer' is now considered to have been a Flagon-A, not an F. Jon
  7. It's a mystery to me why 1/48 kits of this aircraft have always had such ridiculously high retail prices for such a simple aircraft. Jon
  8. My statistics were from Vol 40 #9. Your comment on value for money is fair enough, but part of your original claim was that '[modelling magazines] all seem determined to reduce to number of 1:72 kits to just about nothing.' That's patently false and 1/72 is still the best represented scale in a number of magazines. Jon
  9. What do you mean? This is a breakdown of build articles (not first looks, in the box reviews, etc.) from this month's magazines: Scale Aircraft Modelling: 1/48: 1 1/72: 9 1/144: 1 Military Airplane International: 1/48: 2 1/72: 2 1/144: 1 Scale Aviation Modeller International: 1/16: 1 1/48: 2 1/72: 5 Airfix Model World (aircraft articles only): 1/32: 1 1/48: 2 1/72: 2 I'd say 1/72 scale modellers have nothing to complain about (1/32 would this month!), but then I'm a 1/48-only modeller. In reality, the perception that 'our' scale is under-represented is a function of the hobby being rather wide and our interests rather narrow. Jon
  10. Thanks everyone for the comments! They were built together, so it's just painting and finishing time Jon
  11. Here's my latest Phantom: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-4G. Additions are pitot from Albion Alloys tubing and resin seats and pylons from True Details. The decals are from the kit and the paint is all Mr Color. A fuller write-up and more photos can be viewed here: https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4g-wild-weasel-v/ Comments welcome and thanks for looking. Jon
  12. Yep, but as far as I can tell, the only decals available are from Wingman and cost about 20 Euro...in which case the cost is about the same as buying the Wingman kit. I just want a vanilla Mirage 5 for under £40 all in Jon
  13. I just wish Kinetic would release a Mirage 5. I cannot justify the Wingman prices, and I want a French one anyway. Jon
  14. I don't think it's possible to make such a correction with a vac-form. You'd struggle to get the master out. Jon
  15. Yes, I meant the omega shape. I know no other kit is better; I was just adding to the list of problems with the Kinetic kit. It's solely because of this issue that I've not bought one. Jon
  16. The Kinetic canopy has the wrong cross-section as well, and that's pretty noticeable. Jon
  17. Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to have an F-4G done by the end of the month. Jon
  18. I'm still hoping they'll use their research to make a 1/48 Swift, but that hope is fading as the years roll by Jon
  19. Thanks everyone - it will remain unloaded! The markings are from the kit. Cheers Jon
  20. Hi all, In a fit of madness I decided to build four 1/48 Phantoms at the same time. Here's the first: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-4E from a 2001 boxing in the kit decals. Paint is Mr Color and applied freehand. The seats and pylons are True Details resin. The engine exhausts are from an Academy F-4. A full description is written up here: https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii/ Comments welcome and thanks for looking. Jon
  21. The writing errors annoy the hell out of me. But comparing things to the past is, IMO, just looking back through rose-tinted glasses. I've been looking through old magazines from the 70s, 80s and 90s, and except for the standard of writing, everything else was universally worse back then, IMO. Jon
  22. Ciro Models and Aires/Quickboost do resin intakes for the MiG-23 in 1/48. Metallic Models do a resin nose. Ciro Models do a resin rear fuselage to correct the errors with the airbrakes. Jon
  23. Yes. At the time the speculation was that it was in 1/32, but I think this was because people misunderstood how big a Buccaneer is in 1/48. Using the designer's hand as a scale it was clearly the same size as Airfix's 1/48 Bucc. Jon
  • Create New...