Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

285 Excellent

About Svedberg

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Svedberg

    The Bridge on the River Kwai

    I have also been wondering. @Gorby, good if you can make some discreet inquiry.
  2. Svedberg

    Fly swat grass applicator?

    Looks good. Congrats!
  3. Svedberg

    Fly swat grass applicator?

    Yes, of course you are right! That is not a resistor but a diode. I was actually a little suspicious myself and had intended to have a closer look, and get a better understanding on how these things work, before doing anything. But thanks for the warning! It convinced me I hade to investigate further. This is what I have understood: Both the diode (A) and the resistor (B) are sitting on the high voltage side of a step-up transformer. The diode is there to rectify the voltage (created by some kind of oscillator circuitry on the low voltage side). Without the diode the capacitor would not charge I guess, and to remove it sounds contra-productive. The resistor is a bleeder resistor, making the capacitor eventually discharge when you are done with the device. So it is hard to see how removing the resistor or bridgeing the diode would up the output voltage. Such a modification is more likey to destroy something, or make the device potentially dangerous. Conclusion, I will not attempt to modify the electronics.
  4. Svedberg

    Fly swat grass applicator?

    Apparently I could not let this resistor business be. So I did some internet searches on what resistors to remove. A few pictures turned up, but they are only useful when your circuit board happens to have the exact same layout as the one shown, so not much help there. But eventually I found a textual describtion (in this post http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37186). It reads: "This is all you have to modify for the high powered version - Bridge the resistor in series with the capacitor (resistor A) with a bit of wire, and remove the resistor in parallel with the capacitor (resistor B ) entirely.". With this info it was easy to identify the resistors on my circuit board. Just to illustrate, here is a picture, which of course is as useless as all others unless you happen to have bought a swatter with exactly the same board as in the one I bought. I guess I need to make the modification to see if it makes any difference, but that will be for another day. Now me and the wife are going to watch the next installment of French spy TV-series "The Bureau". EDIT: Component 'A' above is not a resistor, as pointed out by @Circloy. You are probably safer not doing the modification as cited above. Do also see subsequent posting below.
  5. Svedberg

    Fly swat grass applicator?

    No I did not remove any resistor. I did not know that was an option. Yes I am. I think it works OK, but removing that resistor is not a bad idea. More power will not hurt (unless you touch the sieve ), assuming "power" in this case simply means a higher output voltage.
  6. Svedberg

    Fly swat grass applicator?

    I built one of these some time ago, from more or less exactly the same stuff. It think it was a rather straightforward build, so I don't have much advice to add. One thing I did was that I permanently soldered a metal pin to the loose end of the "ground" wire. That I think was a small but significant improvement compared to the usual alligator-clip-and-nail solution (which I have on another applicator).
  7. Svedberg

    pink foam priming

    I'm sorry if you got the impression that did not take this seriously, because I really am.
  8. Svedberg

    pink foam priming

    True. Some paint solvents react with the foam and literally eats it. Other stuff, like marker pen ink, bleed into the foam just like you say and is impossible to overpaint. How do I know? The latex paint avoids this and at the same time gives a good covering.
  9. Svedberg

    pink foam priming

    I'm not sure Nick. If the problem is that you need to seal the material, yes. But in this case I thought the problem was to find something that simply covers the pink colour. My experience is that extruded foam does not need much sealing, if any. Or perhaps I just misunderstood you. Here are some pictures of a diorama base of mine in some early stages. First the plain foam and then painted (one coat only) with a tan latex paint.
  10. Svedberg

    pink foam priming

    "Pink foam" is a kind of extruded foam. Used for building insulation purposes. Light blue is another commmon colur. In the model railroad community extruded foam boards are extensively used to build land forms. And there ordinary latex paint, the stuff you use when painting interior walls such as dry-wall, is used to hide the pink colour, before adding various scenery material. So pick up a can of latex paint at your nearest home improvement store. Much cheaper than any Vallejo colour. If it tends to hide your deatils, dilute with some water and apply several coats.
  11. I must say, I am really in awe of how meticulously you attack every aspect of this build!
  12. Thank you everybody. I am truely flattered! Yes, but as I said in an earlier post, those guys have already left for an early lunch
  13. Svedberg

    The Charger

    Nice touch with the mud spray on the car sides.
  14. Yes, that would be more like it. Not tea though. Rather coffee in paper cups. But in my scene they are all off on an early lunch, leaving the poor driver behind.
  15. Thanks everbody! No, I saved that detail for the trench dioarama that @Kallisti is about to build