Jump to content

Johnny1000

Members
  • Content Count

    96
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

186 Excellent

About Johnny1000

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Brooklyn, NY

Recent Profile Visitors

293 profile views
  1. Thanks @Biggles87. I do like some grime and wear as appropriate, and the Pacific wasn't especially hospitable to machines (or men) so it works out. I still have a few spots to dirty up (e.g., Corsairs were notoriously leaky, and I haven't really tried to represent that yet), but it's close.
  2. Bench time has been even more sporadic than usual, so not much procedure this time. I am getting close though. Re-did the bomb rack support bars with the next size down (.8mm) brass tube. Looks much more the part. Re-profiled the bomb, which was a bit too round, and then used the PE fins from the Eduard set and added mounting lugs. Odds and ends... identification lights. Punched holes in Tamiya tape with a MicroMark punch set, then sprayed Tamiya transparent red, green, and orange, followed by a few coats of Aqua Gloss. Landing ge
  3. Hi Dennis We have no quarrel. I was just expressing my enthusiasm for the topic which is one rife with mythology but not much immediately available evidence. I love the stories of field improvisation—"Pappy's Folly," the first B-25C converted into a strafer, for instance. The design of the Corsair center rack is so clumsy and kludgy looking that's it's hard to imagine a professional engineer or designer being involved. But it would be great to find a more definitive history of it's development. I bet there's a great story in there. I do hope @Dana Bell weighs in...
  4. From Aircraft Pictorial 8 F4u-1 Corsair Vol 2 Avail here: https://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Pictorial-No-F4U-1-Corsair/dp/0985714999
  5. The Bell book has that pic. I'm pretty sure he describes the above version as an evolution of the one I modeled, which was the design the first 500 odd units. I'll have another look tonight.
  6. I have that book and it's indispensable. Well done @Dana Bell! There's a bit on the evolution of the bomb rack, but not much on the initial development.
  7. Finding specific information on the Brewster bomb rack is fiendishly hard, at least online. I can't come up with a reference at the moment, but somewhere I found something that described how the design was so crude that crews assumed it came from the field, but really it came from good old Brewster. But maybe that's wrong? VMF-111, based on Makin Island in the Gilbert Islands was the first squadron to deploy it. VMF-115 (from which my model is based) followed soon after, with a visit from Charles Lindbergh in the back half of May 1944 during his tour of the South Pacific to help op
  8. The mighty bomb rack! Tamiya molds the Brewster bomb rack as a single part, with big solid chunks that you embed into the bomb. I’m sure it’s very sturdy. However, it’s not very representational. The rack should feel spindly and crude. There’s a misconception that these were produced in the field by the ground crew, but that’s not the case—they were designed and built by Brewster, who were not exactly known for elegant design (the F2A Buffalo?). I’m going to cut away the bomb holding chunks and replace with brass tubing. We need to get
  9. Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle! @Biggles87, thanks. It's harder than it looks, that's for sure. I’ll spare you the shenanigans, but I finally decided life is short and I kind of want to finish this build before I hit it’s year anniversary in mid-October. I’ve been traveling a lot for work lately, which makes bench time even more sporadic, so I’ll have to master the fine art of scratch building fabric control surfaces another time. I got another copy of the kit and started over with the rudder and elevators. Now that I had more clarity around how to approach this, cleaning
  10. Rudder on with trim tab, PE actuator (via Eduard), scratch built fairing from .020" rod, and rescribed panel. Also added copper wire for the long trim tab actuators on the elevators, which I had to cut when I removed from the horizontal stablizers. Looks okay. But after staring at reference photos for hours, neither the rudders nor elevators look quite right. It's hard to see with the black primer, but the ribs look a lot like the molded kit ribs, but not so much like a real Corsair, where they're super thin: I'm thinking the ribs might be b
  11. A bit behind in posting... Before we move on, it’s a quick trip back into the rabbit hole! Somehow the rudder antenna mast broke off. Rather than craft a new one from styrene, I decided to machine one from brass (I’m learning how to use a micro lathe, so am always looking for opportunities to play). First I turned to the diameter, then filed to shape. (I’m not very proficient with the lathe, so this took a few tries.) I drilled a hole and CA’d in. Black rubber infused CA from Bob Smith to fair over. But after all this messing about with
  12. Oramask 810 from https://anteupgraphicsupply.com/ I'm not sure I'd say I'm 100% happy with it, but it works pretty well. Not too thick/conforms to curves well, etc. Not super expensive.
  13. I got a little work in the other morning, so a quick update. The main struts, now with break lines, covers, and a dirty wash (Black Tamiya Panel Line Accent FTW). I also got the masks on the covers, cut with the Silhouette. Quickboost resin wheels. The rubber is approx 90% XF-1 to XF-2, followed with a light mist of Buff with a little black added. The treads then got Dark Brown Tamiya Panel Line Accent. The hubs get black TPLA. Starting to detail the panels on the wings: black for active panels (moving panels such as ailerons, or gun access cove
×
×
  • Create New...