Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

101 Excellent

About CarlR

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I never noticed - did she drive? I wasn't paying attention to the cars... seriously though, an excellent job on her transportation!
  2. CarlR

    Pegasus Nautilus 1/144

    excellent work - you're making me consider building this kit too... (in addition to all the others I'm going to build)!
  3. very fine work - looking forward to seeing more
  4. It's been almost 40 years since I purchased this kit and I've been lugging it around all this time telling myself "I will build this kit!" My daughter's interest in all things related to the deer family supplied the necessary motivation and here it is - finally!! Considering how old this kit is, it builds into quite a respectable model. The biggest hurdle I had to overcome was eliminating the seams. Where they met the joint wasn't level and getting them to the point where they were flush resulted in having a lot of the fur detail removed. Fortunately I was able to borrow a woodburning kit which had a number of fine tips and a temperature control so I put it to good use to restore the fur around the seams. Painting was done with Vallejo model color. For those who might be interested, here are the instructions...
  5. I'm more than a little late to the party but I am very pleased to add this commemorative scheme to my collection of Canadian demonstration hornets. The decal sheet was released by Fishbone Inc (https://www.facebook.com/Fishbone.Inc/). Unfortunately, as per the latest information from him, the Canada 150 decals are no longer available. (But he does have the RCAF CF-18 DemoTeam "NORAD 60th Anniversary" decals currently on offer). The Canada 150 sheet is not 100% accurate but to me it is close enough to be more than acceptable. The only real shortcoming in terms of accuracy is that the maple leafs on the outside of the tails do not recline as on the actual hornet. The decals are well printed and are strong enough to withstand the transfer from the backing paper onto the model. Where I had difficulty with these decals was convincing them to conform to the contours of the model - particularly the large maple leaf on top. Decal softeners (Micro-sol, Tamiya markfit strong, Mr Hobby Mr mark softer and Walthers Solvaset) had little to no effect. I was finally able to get that decal to do what I wanted by applying GENTLE pressure repeatedly to the decal with a small folded cloth that had been dipped in boiling water. It is recommended that you hold this folded cloth with a set of locking tweezers and shake off any excess water before applying the (very) hot cloth to the recalcitrant decal(s). Using this technique enabled me to get all of the decals to lay down properly and it seemed to assist the decal softeners to do their job too. The base model is the Academy 1/72 kit.
  6. another of Bandai's excellent Star Wars kits... an easy and pleasurable build
  7. After building two of the Bandai Star Wars robot kits earlier I thought this time I would turn my attention to AT-ST. As seems to be the norm with Bandai kits, construction/assembly went very smoothly giving one the opportunity to make painting and detailing the main focus. I am happy with how the vehicle turned out but my efforts to complete the Chewbacca figure to my liking were less than satisfactory. Now, to decide which kit I'll build next...
  8. Thank you all for your positive comments! Jbot's website (http://www.jbot.ca/welcome.shtml) indicates he is not currently taking orders but it appears he will be starting Oct 01. According to the website Jbot decals are printed on TANGO PAPA clear decal paper using ALPS MD-1000 and MD-5000 printers. They are more delicate than the commercially produced ones but a good coating of Microscale decal film and a gentler hand when applying them should make their application successful. The Perris dh6 decals include the side windows,cockpit windows, door outlines, shark's mouth and eyes and black striping that separates the white/grey areas. Also included are the prop manufacturer logos. I had to source the white propeller stripes from other sheets I had on hand. The trickiest part of this build was masking and painting the grey areas correctly so that when I applied the black stripes, they would match the outlines.
  9. This is the old Matchbox kit released under the Revell banner which comes with decals for the CAF and West Coast Air. I may yet build another kit in the CAF scheme but this time I opted to go with the Perris Skydiving colors when I found the decal sheet was available from Jbot Decals.
  10. This is the AMT/Ertl kit released way back in 1999. The scale indicated on the box is 1/48 which is supported by an entry in the book Incredible Cross Sections Episode I that states the "real" craft is 50ft long. The figures that come with the kit are closer to 1/72 scale than 1/48 though. The kit was assembled out of the box. The inserts with the side navigational lights and the attachment points of the "flexible electromotive drive fins" required a lot of extra attention to achieve a proper fit. Even this kit is nowhere near as sophisticated as the current crop of Bandai kits, and now that It's finished, I'm glad to have this kit in my collection.