Jump to content

Squibby

Members
  • Content Count

    499
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Squibby last won the day on September 13 2017

Squibby had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

1,450 Excellent

5 Followers

About Squibby

  • Rank
    Established Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Wellington, New Zealand

Recent Profile Visitors

923 profile views
  1. Hi All, After finishing up my long winded P51D build I've decided to keep the momentum going and crack on with a new project. Somewhat simpler and more straight forward this time I hope... The subject in question is Tamiya's excellent 1/72 scale Mosquito Mk VI kit, which I'm going to finish in the kit provided markings for the Coastal Command bird 'NEoD'. I think this scheme will give me a nice excuse to weather the paintwork a bit and I was not really keen on masking camo anyway I'm not going to go into exhaustive step by step detail in this
  2. Cheers all for the comments, I'm really proud of this one. @Toryu Cheers, I just ended up using Tamiya XF-5 flat green straight out of the jar. In the end though from photos I've seen the green varied quite a bit, probably since they just repainted it with whatever was available at the time. @RadMax8 Cheers mate, it was tough and really sapped my mojo at times hence the long build time. I finished off heavily detailed areas like the cockpit and just lost the will to continue for months. I'm glad I did finally dust it off (literally) and finish it. My daughter is a
  3. Looking good, I think I saw the real thing once in Japan.
  4. Fantastic work, nice and grubby, really like the tape lines.
  5. Great job with the build. The weathering looks great.
  6. Wow that's some impressive weathering and a great diorama to boot. Love the moody photos as well, really sells the look.
  7. Hi All, I finally crossed the finish line with this build which took the better part of 2+ years on and off with a long hiatus in between due to the arrival of my daughter... I had long started the build before she shattered our idle existence so the scheme I selected turned out to be quite prophetic In any case the plane is built from the highly regarded old Tamiya 1/48 scale kit, and to be honest there are better kits out there now that are far more detailed out of the box. I made significant modifications to the kit cockpit and scratch built a lot of additional deta
  8. Cheers all, @Biggles87 The little vice is made by 'U‑star' I got it from a online store in Aus, https://www.bnamodelworld.com/clamps-vices-hobby-tools-supplies-u-star-ua-90631?zenid=8eb849dfc5a7185b4a90dd99efbe6a4e I'm sure you'd find something similar in your neck of the woods. Really useful little thing.
  9. I spent the past couple of days fidding around with tiny added details, lights, and paint touchups but I think I've run out of parts to fix and bits to add. I'll have to call this one finally done. I'm currently working on some proper RFI photos, but here is one WIP shot to show it all together. Thanks to all who followed this long and meandering build, I must have lost a few of you along the way since I started in '17. I hope it's been informative and potentially helpful for the P51 STGB currently going on. I think I've picked my next target.
  10. Happy new year to you all (I think you lot on the wrong side of the world have made it by now right?) @giemme thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll just leave it be, I'd have to remove it to mess around with it and it looks convincing enough as long as you don't look at it too closely I moved onto the last bits and pieces and tackled the prop. First up was to fix the excessive flair on the prop cuffs, I just took to each prop with a file, the following photo shoes how much I took off. While still probably a little too flared, I can't take them down too much or they'
  11. I whipped up the rear view mirror using the rounded end of a sprue runner tacked onto a bit of square styrene rod. And here is the finished bit, painted up and fitted to the canopy. I ended up trying to a paint a mirror finish using chrome but it didn't turn out too good due to the roughness of the surface which I couldn't really smooth out. I was thinking of sticking on a disk of reflective foil but the mirror is too large for my punch set and too small to cut with a circle cutter (also I don't want a hole in the middle). This may have to do unl
  12. A small update on progress of my work over the last few days. Hope you all had / having a good Christmas day... I finished up the tires and the tail wheel first. The main tires had one side of the hub molded on while the other side was supplied as a separate piece, so no escape from masking here. I got to use my circle cutter for the first time to whip up some masks for the hub. It went well enough but I had to do a little touching up around the rim. A tip when painting the tail wheel (or hand touching up the rim of the main wheels) use very thin paint to carefully pin wash ar
×
×
  • Create New...