Jump to content

Hawker's Hound

Members
  • Posts

    41
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Hawker's Hound

  1. Congratulations to the lady. Thank-you everyone. It was a brilliant excuse to model again after so long.
  2. A nice range of subjects and all very well done in the gallery! It's been fun making another model after so long. Thanks for having me involved!
  3. I'd be making aeroplane noises and strafing the workbench.
  4. Thanks! I thinned it down a lot. I think I got bored of painting it at 5 coats.
  5. EDITED WITH UPDATED PHOTOS. Build thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999801-de-havilland-vampire/
  6. Is that a bristle stuck under the paint? I think it is! The thread has been quiet while I paint. Not a lot happening except coat on coat of silver and a lot of days off. Rushed to get the decals and the remaining fiddly bits like gear doors (and gear) on last night and I'm happy to say complete. I'm glad RobG didn't take photos for me too close. Anyway, time is short, so, without further ado, here is my vampire: Just ignore the ugly bits and she's gorgeous! For the final display photos, please look at my post in the gallery. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999096-gallery/?p=2330426
  7. To save lots and lots of annoyance in the near future, try pushing a thin wire down your glue applicator tube when you're finished with it for a while or the glue may tend to dry in the tube and block it up real good like.
  8. Not everything in life is black and white. I think this is pretty Good, NorwegianWood.
  9. You're ego's writing cheques your body can't cash! Even if you don't like the Tomcat you still gotta love it. Legend. Sad to see it go.
  10. The glue is way nice. It's thin and has a needle applicator.
  11. I may not have broken the pitot tube yet, but a butterfingers incident a few days ago means I did break the tip off the starboard vert stab. The search continues. Thanks speccy Yeah I think it turned out alright. I don't know about you, but I found the glue does okay at filling joints if you give it a few layers and cut/scrape/sand off the extra between. I think I focused probably more on just getting the lines a consistent width and depth on both sides than filling them smooth. I don't mind a bit of extra chunkiness to the detail. I don't think it has to look bad, per se, but yeah, no, it's no substitute for real putty.
  12. You can see from the two of us which has been keeping up the hobby over the past years (And you responded with incredulity when I said I wanted to try to pick out the rails on the throttle quadrant in silver. You did it better than moi! Haha) And joke's on me. I haven't posted a toolset yet.
  13. At least you used some weight. It's one more thing I did, er, unconventionally. But by not including any nose weight in mine, it'll make rotation at V2 easier... Right?
  14. Sure thing. I'm not certain I'll try it yet, as if I makes a dog's breakfast out of it that's my largest brush gone. And I'm not truly convinced it's in the full spirit of the build.
  15. Haha. I see she followed the instructions and put the main oleos in when putting the booms together. I wish I could read.
  16. There's nothing can't be accomplished with a Lord Kitchener kitchen tray.
  17. The children have to learn to take care of themselves some time. You need to hold things in place while they set up.
  18. Is modification of tools from the box allowed? Can I flatten the ferrule on my round brush to attempt to make a flat fan?
  19. I fitted the wing and then I highlighted the horror with some washed-down yellow. After a lot of knife-work and slicing and shaping and sanding and betting on the paint to fill the gaps, it comes to this. Mass balancers and drop-pods. Ready for paint. I'm a little bit scared. For reference, here's the first dry-fit. Please mind the gap. I suspect most of the ill fit is/was caused by my warped fuselage section. I still haven't broken the pitot!
  20. Chop it off with a bit of sprue, glue it in and trim the extra sprue off would have been my serious suggestion
  21. Wow the differences are noticeable between your kit and mine. I have two different brushes (#0 & #4). My fuselage halves were warped and needed a two-step gluing. I think forcing them into place has created some gaps where there wouldn't otherwise be. My paints have been surprisingly good, although varying a little in thickness, they've all been smooth except for one of the metallics which was very globby, but this mixed together smoothly with some love, also. If I built this kit again, I'd assemble the wings to the fuselage first, before positioning the intakes, which is reverse of the instructions. It fits, but there's a large gap and not having the intakes placed would have allowed for adjustment or modification in my case. I wished very hard for some white, too. Can't wait to see how yours goes!
  22. Curse those tiny pots! They're also very top-heavy with the lid sitting open. I've been petrified of spilling one.
×
×
  • Create New...