Jump to content

alancmlaird

Members
  • Content Count

    324
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

437 Excellent

1 Follower

About alancmlaird

  • Rank
    Established Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Stirling
  • Interests
    British civil aircraft. WW1.

Recent Profile Visitors

961 profile views
  1. Ha! Just putting the pair of them on my 'Shelf of Done' and noticed.....'ZBN, has black walkways, 'ZSC hasn't. But it should have! Not finished yet, dashitall. Meant to mention the new extended exhaust pipe on 'ZSC, just like 'ZBN. Made from a piece of sprue from the kit, the short pipe must be a Texan thing.
  2. Finals... And last but not least, 'ZSC posed alongside a civvie Harvard I built about 50 years ago! Registration letters by Letraset dry transfer (remember those?) and dayglo paint 'borrowed' from a fellow modeler!
  3. Ta! Not my usual pace, i can assure you. Thanks for the confirmation of my guess! In all the photos I could find of 'SZC, not one gave a hint of the interior colour, so I made a guess at int. green - though it nearly ended up 'default' matt black. I've held off glueing on the canopy in case definitive evidence turned up.....it just did!!! The range of knowledge of BM members is astonishing.
  4. Still working away slowly, and impressed that the Dekno chaps have such faith in my ageing eyesight that they produce separate components like this intake for me to release from the sprue and attach it to the cowling with superglue without me losing it under a fingernail or whatever! And yes, that is the tip of a scalpel blade! The fuselage floor was a bit distorted (unless it was designed by de Havilland to be slightly concave!), and didn't sit too square when installed. The 'Gorilla' 2hr glue was very helpful in allowing a a bit of movement before going rock solid - it beco
  5. Just a quick progress report.... Curse this fine weather detracting me from important modelling stuff (only managing the occasional hour at a time) Most painting done. Should really have had three coats of white gloss, but two was very nearly enough, just filler slightly showing through in a couple of places underneath. Home-produced transfers went on without a hitch, though still haven't decided on sponsorship logos or not. Various kit parts were left off or removed - all armament and their moulded in pegs under the wings, also small intake (part no.39) above mai
  6. That's good to know, although I'll have a go at printing my own. I'm going to try and reproduce one of his sponsors' logos by the cockpit - perhaps the Budget Rentacar is the most amusing, and easy to get artwork too!
  7. Well, since its an American airframe carrying Japanese roundels, the correct response would be 'Halt! Friend or faux"
  8. Got on with the kit quite well - corners cut by painting the interior and assembling while the paint is still tacky! Seems like 15 years of progress wasn't wasted since Airfix's Harvard was released - have models shown such an increase in quality in the subsequent 40 years? I'll let the glue set a bit before the (small amount) of filler is applied. One odd thing is that the radio aerial and pitot tube are moulded into a fuselage and wing half respectively. What's the chances of those staying attached while the rest of the assembling goes on.
  9. Naturalement mon petit Minnionette! (Please excuse the furrin reply, MM, I'm focussing my schoolboy French for the task ahead )
  10. With a bit of a pause between my current GB and my looming next GB, I thought I'd go for a quick build of this.. Acquired sans decals and with instructions in French, despite which it should be a straight forward job....still how often has that been said before! The white plastic hinted at an unusual and simple scheme.
  11. Magic de-achiving Steve, thanks Regarding the registration letter, I intended to make my own the way I did on the civil Anson (below).....drawn up myself (I'm a retired graphic designer), printed onto clear decal paper in black with an outline as a guide, then stuck on to metallic silver self-adhesive paper, trimming out the letters with a scalpel, then positioning them on the model - worked a treat but was an unbelievable pain to do! (apologies for the off-topic photo) So I am very interested and grateful for your offer - I might pick your brains though on what equipment
  12. ...and some not-so-routine progress. I really don't know how manufacturers expect us to fit flangeless windows flush with the fuselage with maybe 0.4 to 0.1mm of an edge to glue on to the similarly thin surround and not have surface tension bleed glue on to the visual surface. This model is no exception, as experimenting with various cut bits of vacform packaging as well as a kit window proved. Aside from these difficulties, the resin windows supplied have a distinct 'bathroom window' frosting to them, even though they seemed pretty clear at first. So after a bit of experim
  13. Some routine progress... Interior with some rudimentary paint slapped on. In the absence of any knowledge of the scheme the subject might have used, I followed the general colours a friend's pre-war Riley car carried! The seats, as well as ribbed cushions, also had moulded in lap belts, but they resisted all my attempts at painting, so the fall-back of some strips of masking tape should be fine through the not-very-clear windows. Cabin walls and ceiling were painted overall maroon to match, with grey inserts i the doors. I expect most of this to be invisible once the fuselage is clo
×
×
  • Create New...