Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

127 Excellent

About olympic1911

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Somewhere in Germany

Recent Profile Visitors

250 profile views
  1. Hi, how does this stuff behave when being masked? Do the masks leave stains after being removed? Is it better to dip the transparencies AFTER the frames have been painted (this would leave us with glossy canopy frames though)?
  2. Hi all, I often read about transparencies being dipped in "Future" to make them clearer. Apart from that I know nothing about it. Has someone here worked with it, and can you tell me where I can get it from? Thanks Peter
  3. You know that in German it is actually Die Abteilung and not Das Abteilung
  4. Thanks everyone for your kind comments and likes! Santa's been here! Yesterday I received the large sculpture that forms the taffrail: It isn't finished yet but I now have to do some trimming and fillng to fit it to the existing structure, then it'll be off to Berlin again for some fine-carving. The ship's wheel wasn't invented until around 1704, they only became common around 1710-15. Before then ships were steered by the whipstaff, here's the tiller with the crank to which the whipstaff is attached: And here the whipstaff:
  5. High time for another update! Here''s what she looks like today: The lower gun-deck still missing its guns: I don't do the sculptures myself, I have a pro doing them for me. He's far better at it than I am. They're not cheap though (and they don't look it either): Shrouds are wormed and served, just like the real ship: Cannons cast in bronze, still need cleaning up though: Sculptures are gilded with gold-leaf: Inside the great cabins:
  6. Well, I've got her off the shelf again, after more than a year. One thing I noticed is the top surface of the flaps don't fit properly. You can see the top surface of the nacelle protruding over the flap surface. Bilder hochladen I have seen a number of build-logs on the Airfix Mosquito but this issue seems to have never been mentioned. You can see here I have used the edge of the nacelle as a template to draw its outline onto the flap with a pencil. Bilder hochladen What would be best? Surely to trim the nacelle would be the simpler
  7. Thanks everybody. I haven't got a clue what it will weigh once it's done, but at the moment the hull weighs about 45kg. In the meantime the planking of the hull has progressed, only some small areas beneath the waterline need to be taken care of. While the hull is still upright I'm hammering wooden treenails into the hull. My sons now are on their School holidays so they can help me: foto hochladen I have finally decided how the paint the hull: with Oils. A tube of Burnt Sienna was mixed with a tube of Van Dyk Brown and this was thinned with turps. I'm pleased with the result: foto hochlad
  8. Wohoo! Kate Bush Album cover as an Avatar! Your my best pal already! I did some further research into the object we found back then but as it was about 20 years ago some details surely aren't present anymore others may be incorrect. However, now I'm certain that it was stamped A M (Air Ministry - obviously!) with a white crown underneath and not Crown Property as stated above. My best bet it was from a Halifax after all and it was this here: It is an auto-pilot speed steering lever so it would make perfect sense that there was a sprocket inside. The finds that this retired schoolteacher
  9. Work on the Cockpit is progressing well. I'm trying not to over-do the weathering as this can ruin a model The clear safety-cap was glued with PVA to avoid messy stains I might be able to glue the fuselage halfs together this weekend. Regards Peter
  10. Why would you want to get your boots between them? They are there to prevent exactly that. Peter
  11. Today I added details to the instrument panel. Though I have the Airscale instrument panel decal I decided to use the Airfix offering after all. Alle instruments received a blob of Model Master Glosscote. Peter
  12. First seatbelts are in place. Those Eduard seatbelts are quite a challenge! I found it far easier to thread the belts into the buckles BEFORE the buckles were cut from the fret. This made them far less prone to loss. Now for the bottom halfs! Peter
  13. I'm wondering if those really thin strips on the floors of them boats should have been the spaces between wider strips, and the strips themselves should be where the wide gaps are now. Makes me wonder if something went wrong in the PE-designing. You're doing a great Job though I drop in here after every update. Makes me want to build my Corvette which is still untouched in my stash. Peter
  14. Thanks for your comments and likes! As I'm from Germany we get WWII historical sites and Crash sites by the dozens here. Many years ago a friend of mine and retired schoolteacher did what he called Aviation Archaeology, he dug up remains of crashed WWII aircraft. I assisted him on his trips several times. I recall we went to a site near Dortmund what was said to be a MKII 51 Sqdn Halifax bomber, one with a Tollerton nose fairing. I remember the surprising large amount wood-splinters we found at the site (amongst many other things) and I asked my friend if he's sure we hadn't found a Mosquito
  15. Hi, here are some images of my 1:24th scale Mosquito. I started it last year, or perhaps even the year before that. I got it out again last Weekend ans since then progress has been good. I try to be careful with wash and weathering to avoid overdoing it. The scratch on the seat cushion will one day be covered with Eduard seat-belts. Hope you like the pics. Regards Peter
  • Create New...