Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

53 Good

About vildebeest

  • Rank
    New Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne

Recent Profile Visitors

692 profile views
  1. Not directly relevant to the VAT issue, but recently sent a parcel to our son who is student in Germany. Pre-31 December, these took about a week to arrive. There should be no VAT issue as all second hand goods for personal use. Arrived at customs in Germany on 3 February, cleared customs 20 March, so over six weeks in customs, still waiting for delivery. Paul
  2. Modeldecal 108, available from Hannants will sort you out for Demons and other Hart variants, squadron markings at least. MD107 has the underwing serials. Paul
  3. If you are looking at Indian ones, in Scale Aircraft Modelling February 1994, there is a photo of K3163, 31 Sqn ,formerly 216 Sqn. It is described as being in dark earth and light sand with aluminium undersides. No code letters. The text says that other Valentias in the squadron remained aluminium overall. Paul
  4. Hi That's the one. The caption in Dust Clouds in the Middle East gives it as SH-Y. Paul
  5. Hi How is the model coming on? Have you seen this site - http://www.70squadron.roselake.co.uk/walkerjohngeorge.htm. It has your first photo, together with other photos of the same plane and other Valentia photos. Also, it confirms it is 70 Squadron stationed in Iraq. Also, photos appear on ebay from time to time. At the moment, there is a photo of a 216 Sqn Valentia in Iraq. It is a standard press photo which also appears in Dust Clouds in the Middle East, but the photo on ebay is much clearer than the one in the book. Unfortunately it is only of the centre s
  6. One slight difference is, as shown in the plans, on I think all MkII s, there is a tear-drop shaped fairing immediately behind the guns on both sides. That is not present on early Gauntlets. I do not know whether that is a distinguishing feature between Is and IIs or whether it was a modification introduced on later Is, but worth checking if you have a photo of the particular one you are modelling. Paul
  7. There is indeed a drawing in Interceptor, page 62. Paul
  8. In the MMP book Peter refers to there are a couple of decent pictures of the prototype which show the propeller quite well - blunt tip but whether the same as on production versions I have no idea. Paul
  9. The instructions with the Airfix VC set referred to above have a slightly different pattern, in particular, wavy rather than straight line on the nacelle/cowling. Paul
  10. Hi Keith, drop me a PM and we will see what we can do. Paul
  11. Thanks. Troy. VY-H and the hexagon were cut out of solid decal sheet. This is where I am beginning to have doubts. Did I actually see a photo of VY-H as I described, or did I see a photo of another Hurricane which was not H. but then decided that there must have been an H (with serials painted out) on the entirely reasonable grounds that H is a lot easier to cut out of solid decal sheet than, say, B is? Paul
  12. I wonder if anybody can help me with a nostalgia question. Thirty odd years ago I built the then relatively new Airfix Hurricane 1. Somewhere along the way, I messed up the propeller. So, new plan, I got an Aeroclub Watts two-blader and built from a photo in a book (unaware in those innocent pre-internet days of things like fabric wings and unarmoured canopies). The result was an 85sqn Hurricane in France. No serial number, coded VY-H. No fin/rudder stripes (but hexagon on fin), no yellow outline to the fuselage roundel and, as I say, Watts. The model, slightly battered sits before
  13. Keith I do not know whether you have resolved this yet, but the Aeroclub Gamecock had decals for three machines from 17, 32 and 43 sqn. So if it is just squadron markings you need, I can let you have one of them as I am not going to use all three. Not sure what state they are in as they are rather old. Paul
  14. RAF Bomber Command, Vol 1, Goulding and Moyes, gives the upper-wing diameter when converted from A1, as 75 inches but when applied as B in the factory as 84 inches. This relates to Whitley's coming put of the factory in 1939, so possibly it could have changed later. Paul
  • Create New...