Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

92 Good

About OneEighthBit

  • Rank
    New Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Have to admit, I always used meths (T-Röd here in Sweden) and it worked fine.
  2. Funnily enough it mentions in the article that accompanied the photo that the town was going to try and buy a Spitfire next.
  3. Wow. Thanks all for the input. This is indeed "Cheltenham Queen" so glad to get the confirmation of the V7774 serial. I'm thinking to pass the time at Christmas I might have a go at making a 1:48 scale model. It's most for my own amusement so I thought I'd use the Airfrix Mk.I kit. Not being a Hurricane expert I just wanted to check - going off the photo and date I'm guessing the dark earth, dark green and sky colour scheme? I noticed it didn't have the sky tail band either. It also looks to me like it's painted in the "B" Scheme? (I'm going off the Bridgewater/Combat C
  4. Think the picture is sharing now. Sorry about that.
  5. Found this picture (hope it embeds) in an old local paper dated March 1941 stating that the Hurricane which had been bought during a "Wings Week" collection was now in service use. Any consensus on the mark and serial? I read it as V7774 which was lost in Egypt, September 1941: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16997722 What little I've been able to figure out, if it is, V7774 is that it's a Mk.I built at Brooklands/Langley with a Merlin. III engine. I would assume if it went to Egypt it would have been repainted and fitted with a Volkes f
  6. Thanks all for the great replies. I wrote the extract as written in the translated report do the capitialisation of MUSTER through me off. I think an HE 46 towing a FW.56 seems about the most likely candidate in this case.
  7. All, I've been reading a translated French document from 1940 that describes some Luftwaffe experiments with towed gliders. There are no pictures but there is an interesting description that I'd love to see if anyone can identify the aircraft types from. "The Jarhbuch des deutschen Luftfahrtforschung draws attention to the towing of a FOLKE WULF [sic] by a MUSTER HE 46 [sic] aircraft. the FOLKE WULF, with it's propeller removed and weighing 850kk was towed at a height of several thousand of metres..." I'm taking a guess that the tow aircraft was an Heinkel
  8. That's an amazing result considering what a difficult kit it is to start with in terms of technical accuracy! You've done a great job and added some really nice details and the finish is excellent. I can't believe it's been almost 8 years since I gave you some details - I wish I'd known you were still working on it as I've uncovered so much more about the glider since then I could of given you so much more help! Regardless, excellent result!
  9. Didn't Edgar find the official wartime instructions on the factory paint finish? I remember it saying something about making sure everything was smoothed over to help reduce drag. I would assume this gave it some sort of "sheen" though I guess in most service pictures their a bit mucky and look more matt.
  10. I use the S.B.S Resin Bristol Blenheim engine detail set when I converted my Frog Miles Master Mk.III to a Mk.II GT. The Mercury engine was really nicely detailed, far better than anything I could have achieved from kit bashing.
  11. All, After a visit to Middle Wallop to meet up with @Aeronut and crawl all over their Horsa's I've been trying to get some clarification on pneumatic air tanks used on WWII RAF Aircraft. Generally it seems like there's two common size in use - 29.5" and 23.5" which equates to (if my math is correct) to about 874 cu/in and 675 cu/in respectively. The low pressure tank used in the Horsa Mk.I was even smaller being ~18.5"/500 cu/in What I'm curious is the markings for these. I've seen the same tanks in various aircraft, the same size with varying max psi pressures (200, 3
  12. Me I researched them all for him along with the Hotspur and Hamilcar schemes. Quite a few of them are based on photos I've collected over the years - including two all yellow ones. Good work so far!
  13. I'm also active on the F I'm active on the Flypast forum too so I'd probably have picked up on it there if not here. Aeronut who posts here occasionally works at the Museum of Army flying and they have a lot of records, certainly the same ones I do. I'm also a member of the Glider Pilot Regiment Society (AN off-shoot from the now defunct regimental association) so I can ask through those channels if anything comes up. As I mentioned in my post there are a lot of "lost" glider pilots because the records of who flew what glider and what they carried are basically gone. The ad
  14. Makes me think of the odd combo of a P-38 attached to the top of a GAL Hamilcar glider they tried in 1949.
  15. @James B - Brace yourself. I can't find any specific information on your Grandfather at Arnhem - I'm afraid it appears he's one of the "lost" pilots who aren't properly recorded due to the absence of the relevant glider loading and raid reports having been lost to time. He isn't mentioned in any of the records I have so the log book actually helps fill in a blank in that regard. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say he was towed by a Stirling IV from 190 Squadron from RAF Fairford. I'm basing this on G-Squadron 9 and 10 flight being aligned with 620/190 Squadrons. Sadly t
  • Create New...