Jump to content

Icabod

Members
  • Content Count

    11
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

11 Good

About Icabod

  • Rank
    Newbie
  • Birthday 12/28/1948

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Leeds UK
  • Interests
    All model aircraft, plastic, balsa, static, flying and occasionally figures
  1. No, I will not give up although I thinl the standard is going to drop through sheer exhaustion of the project. Engines need severe altering as the kit relies on putting them where they fit. There is no indication on the wings for nacelle location at all and where the do 'fit' makes them far too outboard. When moved in they needed cutting and hacking a lot. Painted now with Xtracolour Enamel RLM76 on the bottom and Lifecolor 61,62,63 on the top with coat of Kleer for protection. I am not sure about the Lifecolor green though. It looks a bit too 'Sage' for me. Photos were quick snaps with my Sa
  2. The masking tape has been on for a minimum of 2 years and I too suspect it may leave some adhesive but alcohol should shift it. The longest I had was on my Revell 1/32 Bf110C I converted to a G. It was on for over 3 and it cleared Ok with alcohol and that was masked with freezer sellotape (the dull kind). Thanks for looking.
  3. The Model was confined to the cupboard of shame for the last year or so. I have only now started to try to clear the cupboard as I cannot bring myself to look at it any longer. I am determined to finish its contents. This is what the model looks like now, partially primed in RLM65 to sort out the blemishes from the considerable filling and sanding around the engine nacelles and the nose section to suit the modified canopy. Sanding and finishing is currently the work in progress. Some of the glazing has been sanded smooth and the correct window frames made. The interior was started with a lot
  4. This is my first build thread on Britmodeller and I will apologise in advance if the images don't show. This is not the first Do 17E from Hobbycraft I have built. The first was a failure, sloping engines, no undercarriage and paint that peeled. The second never got finished. I tried using vacuum canopies from Squadron. The resulting mess ended up being dumped in the bin. This is the third attempt and was started before I joined Britmodeller. The photos show progress to date. The fuselage has been straightened to cure the banana shape of the kit. There is an 8 swg steel spine fitted into my
  5. Yes, I have the Do 17 book. It is very helpful but the 3 view drawing are undimensioned. I did scale one of its drawings using a dividers and ratios but I could not be certain the 3 views were scaled anyway. Now I am back home I have checked the work done so far and found the 'guesstimates' I used have given me a distance of 101mm. Distance should have been 104mm. This puts the engines out by 1.5mm each. Technically wrong but they do look right. When I figure out how to post a picture I'll put it on the posts and start a build article. After the debacle of my first build of this model a lot of
  6. The drawings are very helpful for this project, thank you Pawel. I have already made a start using the plans I have. It will be interesting to see if I have got it right. Back in UK next weekend hopefully. I'll check then.
  7. Ahh.. at least the plans I have are likely to be correct. The problem is the Hobbycraft Do 17E model has no moulded nacelles on the wings, unlike the Do 17M/P or Do 17Z. When the wings are marked with the correct locations the engine nacelles do not fit at all and where they do fit, the engines point down about 10 degrees. All the web reviews concentrate on the banana fuselage which is fairly simple to fix, but none mentioned the engine locations and the major surgery needed to make the kit engines fit. I must say though that the overall dimensions appear to the be almost spot on and I have
  8. I have plans for the Do 17E/F and the later Do 17M/P. The E/F plans have the engines positioned inboard of the M/P plans. The M/P plans have the engines in the same wing location as the Do 17Z. This suggests that the engines were moved outboard when they were changed from the inline BMWs to the radial BMW 132s. It seems unlikely considering the wing construction but the plans look good. Moving the engine position outward isn't mentioned in anything I have read.
  9. Well, reading your article has prompted be to get my stashed Trumpeter Stuka off the pile. I doubt it will be as good as this though. Great work.
×
×
  • Create New...