Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 11/19/2015 in all areas

  1. 13 points
    Hi, everyone! My recently finished LaGG-3... I used Eduard's PE and resin gunsight by Quickboost. All the markings painted using Montex masks. Painted was done, as usually in my case, using Tamiya and Mr.Hobby acrylics. Hope you enjoy
  2. 8 points
    The Henri Farman HF-27 was not built in any great numbers, but it saw service in a great many places, ranging from the Channel Coast to the Northwest Frontier, by way of the Aegean, Mesopotamia, Arabia, and Russia. Its first operational use was in German Southwest Africa, by South African airmen, and indeed, the fielding of a South African air contingent in that campaign, and the early production of the HF-27, were tightly entwined. Henry and Maurice Farman were pioneering pilots in the heady early days of heavier than air flight in Europe. In 1912, they combined their separate aviation ventures into a single company, with their elder brother Richard handling the business end of things. Within the fraternal firm, Henry and Maurice pursued their own lines of design, Henry's being marketed under the French spelling Henri (they were all sons of an English father and French mother resident in Paris). Henry in his designs favored rotary motors and a wing structure with an upper wing of much greater span than the lower. Maurice favored stationary motors, and a wing structure with an upper wing only slightly greater in span than the lower. Both employed the early 'propulsion' (pusher) configuration in their designs. When the Great War began, Farman aeroplanes equipped over half the front-line escadrille of the Aviation Militaire. The Henri Farman machines, however seemingly suitable in peacetime, did not stand up well to service in the field, proving too fragile for hurried operations off improvised fields, and delicate to fly in any sort of adverse conditions, owing to their maximum speed being only very little greater than their stalling speed. They were withdrawn as soon as doing so became practical, and when the French drew up a plan of standardization and expansion for their air service in October, 1914, Henri Farman designs had no place in it, though Maurice Farmans became a standard reconnaissance type, and were built in great quantity. Henry Farman set out to recoup with a fresh design. It employed steel tube for all major structural components, and employed a sturdy four wheel 'perambulator' undercarriage arrangement, with oleo shock absorbers on its rear legs. It used a Canton-Unne water-cooled radial motor, providing nearly double the horse-power of the rotary Gnome employed on his earlier products, and carried motor and fuel and crew in a simple nacelle very similar in appearance to nacelles of his brother Maurice's designs. The wings were of equal span, and the struts connecting them, of steel tube with wooden fairings, were quite long: the greatly increased gap between the wings made both wings more efficient in generating lift. Only the longeron arrangement and tail surfaces retained the familiar aspects of earlier Henri Farman machines. On occassion English documents refer to the type as an 'HF Voisin', and save for the great gap between the wings, from most angles it does indeed look very much like a Voisin. There can be little doubt Henry Farman was at least 'inspired' by the very successful Voisin III/V series, constructed with steel tube and employing the powerful Canton-Unne radial, with equal span wings and a four wheel undercarriage, in drawing up the HF-27. While Henry Farman was laying out the lines of his new aeroplane, half a world away South Africa's invasion of German Southwest Africa was collapsing in a muddle of half-measures, defeat, and rebellion. At the beginning of the Great War, English troops had been withdrawn from South Africa, leaving military affairs there to the Union Defense Force, a numerous but poorly organized body, whose largest component was a reserve known as the Active Citizens Force. It was the Royal Navy, not the South African government, which wanted German Southwest Africa invaded. The Navy wanted to prevent German cruisers loose on the high seas receiving any aid from several long-range wireless stations in the colony. Going to war against Germany on behalf of England was none too popular with the Boers of South Africa. Many harbored bitter memories of the recent war against England, in which Germany had lent the Boers appreciable support. Balanced against this was the desire for more land and greater influence which conquest of the neighboring German colony would bring. Nor would invading German Southwest Africa be an easy proposition, though it could prove quite profitable. Diamonds had recently been discovered there in commercial quantities, and the northern interior of the colony was a large expanse of dry grassland well suited to cattle-ranching. But the Atlantic coast of the colony, and its southern reaches down to the Orange River, consisted of extremely inhospitable desert. The German Schutztruppe defending the colony was far smaller than the Union Defence Force, even allowing for mobilization of men from the colony's ten thousand or so German residents, but it was highly professional, and well-adapted to desert operations. It was also almost exclusively white: German policy towards the native population had been murderous over the previous decade, and there could be no question of raising a local force of askari. South African forces were exclusively white as well, making this one of the few instances in colonial war of the period in which both sides fielded forces even predominantly European. (Schutztruppe camel detachment) General Botha, the South Arican leader, wanted to mount a three-pronged offensive. Its major component would be a force landed at Walvis Bay. This was a modest indentation on the north coast of the German colony, where a small enclave administered (but not garrisoned) by South Africa remained from an earlier English claim on the coastline. Next door, the Germans had established the port of Swakopmund, at the mouth of the Swakop River, and here one of the wireless stations was located. Gen. Botha envisioned this force striking inland to the colony's capital, Windheok, where another of the wireless stations was located. A second force would be landed at the port of Luderitz, not far north of the mouth of the Orange River on the southern coast. Luderitz was the site of the third wireless station. This force would advance into the interior along a railway line. A third force would be conveyed by sea to Port Nolloh on the South African coast just south of the mouth of the Orange River. It would march inland, cross the Orange River, which was the border between South Africa and German Southwest Africa, moving north with the initial objective of seizing the wells at Sandfontien, tho only reliable source of water for many miles north of the Orange River. This force was to be supported by a body of troops mustered locally. In the event, however, the Royal Navy was unable to provide enough transport for the scheme, and it was the northern force Gen. Botha had seen as the leading element of the invasion that had to be left go, with a naval bombardment of the Swakopmund facilities substituted. The troops from Capetown, commanded by Gen Lukin, began arriving on August 31 at Port Nolloth, while local troops were gathering at Upington, headquarters of the district commander, Col. Maritz. On September 14, Swakopmund was bombarded from the sea. The wireless there was wrecked. Simultaneously, Gen. Lukin's force seized the fords of the Orange River south of Sandfontein. (Fording the Orange River) Next day the Commandant of the Active Citizen Force component of the Union Defense Force, Gen. Beyers, resigned his commission. That evening, driving with a famous fighter of the Boer War, Koos de la Rey, Gen. Beyers encountered a police roadblock, part of a dragnet hunting a fugitive murderer. He did not stop, police opened fire, de la Rey was shot dead. Many Boers believed it deliberate assassination of a bitter opponent of English rule. On September 19, troops were landed without opposition at Luderitz, and Gen. Lukin advanced a small force to Sandfontein. The German Schutztruppe concentrated against Sandfontein, and though the post received some re-inforcement, it was overwhelmed on September 26 by German forces with a decisive advantage in artillery. (Schutztruppe field guns) Colonel Maritz at Upington had been surreptitiously in communication with the Germans for some time, and had given them details of the plans and forces at Sandfontien. He had refused orders to move to assist the beleagured force. He soon moved on to open rebellion, proclaiming the independence of South Africa early in October. There were soon some twelve thousand men under arms against English rule in the former Orange Free State, and in the Transvaal, where Gen. Beyers raised the standard of revolt. (Col. Maritz at his headquarters) Led personally by generals Botha and Smutz, loyal elements of the Union Defense Force turned to suppressing rebellion. Though after the first couple of weeks the outcome was not much in doubt, this task was not completed till early December, by which time Col Maritz and his last followers had sought refuge with the Germans, and Gen. Beyers had been shot off his horse and drowned in the Vaal River while fleeing from a loyalist column. Even as rebellion flared that October, the South African government decided the Union Defence Force required some aeroplanes, and soon. The decision at that point to see to this quickly as possible may well have owed something to the activities of two aeroplanes operating in support of the German Schutztruppe. These had, by mid-October, flown over South African troops encamped south of the Orange River, and assailed South African troops landed at Luderitz with field gun shells dropped as bombs, and leaflets urging them to join the rebellion against England . This sort of thing, widely reported, damaged prestige, made South Africa look second-rate, and in times of trouble, appearances can mean a great deal. (Roland 'Pfiel' biplane, one of the two German aeroplanes) There were a half-dozen Union Defense Force officers trained as pilots then serving with the Royal Flying Corps in France and England. The task of acquiring aeroplanes and equipment for them to employ in German Southwest Africa (under the grand title 'South African Air Corps') was allotted to the oldest among them, Lt. Gerard Percy Wallace. Born in 1885, he was the son of a Sussex clergyman and tutor. Only ten when his father died, he had followed the footsteps of his elder brother, a regular Army officer, to southern Africa. There he joined the Union Defense Force, and acquired the aeronautical bug. He was one of ten men who embarked on flight training at government expense at the Paterson Aviation School at Kimberly in August, 1913. At the time, this boasted two aeroplanes, copies of an early Farman design, though one soon crashed, killing an instructor. Wallace was one of seven who passed the course in December. He received a probationary commission as a lieutenant, and with five other graduates of the Paterson course travelled to England for further training and certification by the Royal Aero Club, which he received in early June, 1914. In November, with a probationary rank of captain, G. P. Wallace arrived in London. Told at the War Office all was in hand for his task, he discovered that in fact nothing was arranged, or even readily available. England and France were engaged in expansion of their air services, and everything in production was spoken for by one body or another. Pressing his inquiries, Capt. Wallace learned of the new type being worked on by Farmans at Paris, that would feature a steel structure most suitable for the desert conditions he and his fellows would be operating in. He met personally with Henry Farman, who was glad of an order for a dozen of the new machines before one had even been completed. In January, 1915, the first 'sample' HF-27 took to the air at Etamps, flown first by Henry Farman, and then by Capt. Wallace with Henry as a passenger. He found the machine quite satisfactory, and looked forward to delivery of the first examples at the end of February. February, however, ended without delivery of a single machine. The enterprising Capt. Wallace detailed an officer to the Farman factory to hurry on the business, and himself arranged for the acquisition of needed steel tube in England and its shipment to the Farman factory. In the middle of that harried month, he learned of the death of his older brother, killed at Nueve Chapelle. At the end of March, three HF-27s emerged from the Farman factory. On April 3rd, titanic packing crates containing their disassembled components were loaded onto the small merchant steamer SS Umvota. They were too large to go into the ship's holds, and had to be lashed down on deck. Two other aeroplanes, donated by the Admiralty, were aboard the vessel, along with Capt. Wallace and two other pilots, when it departed Portsmouth, setting sailing towards German Southwest Africa and Walvis Bay. Walvis Bay was now securely in South African hands. With the rebellion suppressed, and adequate transport available, Gen. Botha had landed two infantry brigades and a cavalry regiment in Walvis Bay on Christmas Day. Shortly after New Years Swakopmund had been seized. Botha himself arrived in Walvis Bay early in February, 1915, with still more troops: two cavalry brigades, several infantry battalions, and sufficient artillery to establish two field batteries and a heavy battery. (South African cavalry advancing in the interior) As this massive force began advancing inland up the Swakop River, the German defenders had little choice but to disengage in the south of the colony, lest they be surrounded and pinned in desert themselves. But the troops from Luderitz and the Orange River fords were close on their heels. By the end of April, the Schutztruppe was concentrated in the north before Gen. Botha's advance on the colony's capital at Windheok, and the several South African forces were all close enough to one another for effective tactical co-ordination. The German defenders had no prospect of defeating their numerous opponents now, but the South African columns, whose difficulties with supply of forage and water for their horses hampered their manouverability, had little prospect as yet of trapping their agile opponents. (Swakopmund viewed from the sea) In the night of April 30, the SS Umvota and its cargo arrived at Walvis Bay. Once that cargo was brought ashore and examined, it became clear that heavy seas encountered on the voyage had badly damaged major components of two of the Farmans. The pair of B.E.2c machines donated by the Admiralty were easier to handle and assemble, but performed very poorly in the hot air, and in any case were badly damaged in accidents within a week of their test flights. They were left unrepaired, as completing assembly of the first Farman was the highest priority. This was achieved by the last week of May, with the aeroplane being flown successfully on several occasions. On May 25, the first assembled HF-27 was flown by Lt. van der Spuy from Walvis Bay to Karibib, a town north of the Swakop River. By this time, the colony's capital Windheok was in South African hands, and the German Schutztruppe was retiring northwards, with South African forces following. Gen. Botha desired a reconnaissance to be flown over Omaruru, some thirty-five miles further on to the north, to determine if the Germans were making a stand there. Winds of 60 miles an hour blowing above 3,000 feet on the 26th made a flight to Omaruru impossible; that same day, the last German aeroplane still in working order crashed when attempting to take off from Kalkfeld to reconnoiter the rail line north of Windhoek. On the 27th, Lt. van der Spuy finally was able to fly north to Omaruru, returning to report the Germans were abandoning the town. Assembly of a second HF-27 was completed at Walvis Bay, and this was flown up to Karibib on June 12. Two more crated Farmans had arrived on the 7th, and night shifts were put on in a successful effort to assemble these quickly; both were ready for service by June 18. South African columns were advancing north, and between June 18 and June 20 the four serviceable Farmans, and attendant ground crew, concentrated at Omaruru, where the Germans had maintained an aerodrome. One of the Farmans, No. 6, was damaged past field repair when it clipped a tree coming in to land on the new field. South African columns on the 20th began moving north over a wide front, with a flying column under Gen. Myberg hooking wide to the east to get behind the retreating Germans, while a force under Gen. Lukin advanced up the rail line from Windheok towards Kalkfeld. Reconnaissances flown from Omaruru over several days revealed strong German forces initially in Kalkfeld were retreating north. Capt. Wallace was instructed to prepare a bombing attack on Kalkfeld on June 24, using field gun shells as bombs. He flew over the place for a final look beforehand, and discovered a column of South African cavalry already there, who identified themselves by laying out white cloth strips in a large 'V' as he circled overhead. To keep up with the rapidly advancing columns, Capt. Wallace ordered his men and machines on to Kalkfeld that very day. Flying in to Kalkfeld on the 25th, van der Spuy found himself landing with a tail-wind, and ran his aeroplane into a tree at the far edge of the field, resulting in great damage to the machine. The unit was soon on the move again, to Otjitasu, another thirty or so miles north by west, where the two Farmans still serviceable landed on June 28. On the 29th, reconnaissance was mingled with bombing, each aeroplane carrying eight field gun shells to be dropped on the Germans retreating up the rail-line towards Otavi. They took off from Otjitasu but landed at Brankpan, a salt flat Capt. Wallace described as 'a magnificent natural aerodrome' which he had reconnoitered by motor car the previous day. From Brankpan on the 30th a Farman was dispatched to try and locate the flying column of Gen. Myberg, which for some while had been out of touch with Gen. Botha's headquarters. On the return leg of the flight, the motor stopped, and the aeroplane was forced to land. A party sent out by truck found the machine, intact and with crew unharmed. A spare engine recently brought up from Walvis Bay was trucked out and fitted in the field. The other Farman took off on the 30th to bomb Germans near Oltavi, and the next day Gen. Lukin's column caught up to them there, and though outnumbered, hustled the Germans out of their positions into a hurried retirement to Khohab. Later that day, they were bombed by the sole remaining serviceable Farman, which this time carried two 112 lb bombs. This was pretty nearly the last hostile act of the campaign. On July 3, the German Governor sent an emmissary to Gen. Botha proposing hostilities cease, with German forces to accept internee status and retain their equipment. This Botha rejected, and as part of his demonstration he meant to continue the fight, one of the Farmans flew a reconnaissance over Khohab on 5 July. On the sixth, Gen Botha imparted his terms to the Governor's emmissary. They were generous as regards personnel, but required all weapons and equipment be surrendered, and he agreed to extend an armistice while the terms were considered. This prevented the two repaired Farmans, finally serviceable again, from being flown up from Kalkfeld to join their fellows at Brankpan. The Germans surrendered on Gen. Botha's terms on July 9th. Capt. Wallace's report on the campaign was most favorable to the HF-27, and its Canton-Unne motor. He felt the aeroplane's great weight (a ton and a half or more) moderated the effects of turbulent air over the desert, and considered its steel framing essential for operating in desert conditions. He noted the only structural element of the Farman which was wood, the struts connecting the longerons, warped badly in the heat, so that replacements had had to be continually made by carpenters in the field to keep the machines braced true. He praised the reliability of the motor, noting there had been only one instance where engine failure had forced a landing. One item of interest, touching on a 'craft' consideration largely forgotten since, was his note that, after no more than a few weeks of operation under desert sun, the fabric of the first two machines assembled had deteriorated to the point that in another fortnight they would have required complete re-covering. Further service of the HF-27 in English hands confirmed Capt. Wallace's view. The Royal Naval Air Service acquired some seventy or so of the type. Several were sent down to German East Africa, where they assisted in the reduction of the German cruiser SMS Konigsberg in July, 1915. These machines were later shipped north to Mesopotamia, where they reinforced an RNAS detatchment assisting in air-lifting supplies into the beseiged garrison at Kut-al-aram in April, 1916, finally being transfered to 30 Sqdn, Royal Flying Corps. The RNAS employed the HF-27 in the Aegean, starting in July, 1915, first in support of the effort at Gallipoli. These were generally fitted with a machine-gun, mounted on a tube frame, to which the observer in the rear seat stood to fire over the pilot's head; the gun was usually a Lewis, but one photograph shows a Vickers so mounted. Their duties ran from ranging fire for ship's guns to bombing. The redoubtable Cmdr. C. R. Samson in December of 1915 flew his HF-27 from Imbros to Constantinople carrying a five hundred pound bomb, which he aimed at a barracks in the city. A more usual load ran to a pair of 112 lb bombs, or one such, and half a dozen or so smaller missiles. Later in 1916, some HF-27s were relegated to training duties, putting the polish on newly fledged pilots just arrived in the theater. R.N.A.S. HF-27s operated on the Channel Coast as well, from Couderkirk, during 1915. They flew anti-submarine patrols, carrying two 65 lb bombs. Pilots on two occasions reported sighting and attacking a U-boat, one claiming his target had been 'blown in half', though this was never confirmed. When a force of three Zeppelins was returning from a raid on the night of June 6/7, 1915, Flt. Sub-Lt. J. S. Mills in an HF-27 sighted one of the dirigibles, followed it back to its base, and bombed and destroyed it in its shed at Evere. This was the same night Flt. Sub-Lt. Warneford bombed and destroyed a Zeppelin in the air; shortly after he was awarded the Victoria Cross for this, he died crashing an HF-27. The Royal Flying Corps acquired a batch of some twenty HF-27s during 1916. 31 Sqdn, formed for service in India, received some of these, and employed them, along with B.E.2cs, on campaigns against various Pathan tribes during 1917. One 31 Sqdn HF-27 was modified to swap the crew's places, putting the observer in the front seat and giving him an efficient machine-gun mounting, but generally the HF-27s in India caried only bombs. Several of 31 Sqdn's HF-27s were detached for service in Aden late in 1917, where they would remain in action till the end of hostilities; one was brought down by Turkish fire. 31 Sqdn passed on a further portion of its HF-27s to 114 Sqdn, when that unit formed at Lahore in November, 1917. With the close of the campaign in German Southwest Africa, the South African Air Corps was disbanded, and its pilots returned to England. There they became the nucleus for a new unit, 26 Squadron RFC, commanded by Maj. Wallace. This was shipped to German East Africa, to join in the campaign there against the German colonial forces led by Gen. von Lettow-Vorbeck. Arriving in December, 1915, 26 Sqdn fielded a mixed equipment, consisting of B.E.2c machines, and the six original Henri Farman HF-27s. In the course of operations in German East Africa, one Farman, the same one which had clipped a tree coming in to land at Omaruru, broke apart in flight, killing its pilot. The surviving Farmans were retired in January, 1917. Maj. G. P. Wallace received the Distiguished Service order in 1916. That same year his younger brother, who had obtained a commission in the Indian Army, was killed in Mesopotamia. The Russian air service acquired a number of HF-27s, though it is not known just when, or how many were purchased from Farman direct. Fifty were built on license by the Dux factory, and more than a dozen were still in front-line service in June of 1917. These were armed, mostly in manner similar to the way the RNAS armed its machines in the Aegean, though some featured a 'swapped seats' arrangement similar to that of the 31 Sqdn 'gunbus'. A variety of machine-gun types were employed.. It is claimed the crew of an HF-27 piloted by A. K. Tumansky succeeded in shooting down a German aeroplane. This model is scratch-built, in 1/72 scale. It represents one of the original Henri Farman HF-27s operated in German Southwest Africa. It is based on photographs appearing in the memoir of Keneth van der Spuy, who had a long career in the South African Air Force, literally from its beginning (he was the first of the trainees to receive Royal Aero Club certification as a pilot). Here are several pictures taken with flash and/or magnification, to show some details.... The finish is conjectural. Henri Farman employed bleached linen, and early rotary types generally used a varnish incorporating linseed oil, which stood up better to the mix of oil and exhaust fumes thrown off by such motors. This had a distinct yellow cast. It seems reasonable to suppose the same finish was employed on this new type, as it would have been on hand in quantity. Photographs of early examples show nacelle and fabric in very similar grey tones. This could indicate employment of a paint on metal or wood panels matched more or less to the color of the fabric. This became a very general French finish later, but early examples of it can be seen in photographs from 1915. Still, it is possible the nacelle is grey-blue (also a common practice, especially in Maurice Farman machines), and that it is only by chance this shows, in orthochrome photographs, a similar grey tone to the fabric. It is also possible the fabric and nacelle have both been given a coat of off-white paint (the apparent practice of the Voisin firm, and sometimes employed by the Caudron brothers, another large manufacturer of the time). I have seen one illustration of a South African HF-27 depicted as lacking any national markings whatever, and suspect this was in fact the case. English practice regarding such was in flux at the time, and Farman certainly would not have applied either roundel or Union Flag at the factory. In the campaign there was no need for nationality markings, since the aeroplanes were radically different in appearance from the familiar German pair, and in any case, by the time the South African aeroplanes were in operations, they were the only things flying. I want particularly to thank Doug, of the South African Air Force forum, who provided me several pictures from the the memoirs of Gen. van der Spuy, which made it possible to build complete this model as a South African machine, and do so with reasonable accuracy as regards the motor mounting. If you need to know anything about the SAAF, try here: http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/index.php The account given here of the activities of the 'South African Air Corps', and of Capt. Wallace in procuring aeroplanes for it, is based on his report of same, a copy of which was sent me a gentleman who signs himself 'Nieuport11' on the Great War Forum, and I greatly appreciate his doing so. The Great War forum is largely a 'remembrance' site, but people there are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php Earlier stages of the build can be traced starting here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989782-henri-farman-hf-27-steel-farman-scratch-build-in-172/
  3. 5 points
    DAPS duly detailed and almost ready to be installed permanently; all that remains to be added is a pair of wave-off lights at the base. Looking at the Jacobin plans (on which it is sitting in this picture, but you cannot see the relevant bit) I am not convinced that Airfix have got the geometry right, but this is going to have to do - there are limits to how much of this ship I am going to scratch build!
  4. 2 points
    I don't think I need to post a pic of the box and contents of this one, I'm sure most of us are familiar with this oldie! I haven't yet decided on a scheme but since the kit decals are not too accurate colour-wise I'll replace them with after market ones, and if I can find enough reference pics, I'm considering Roland Garros' machine. I chose this from my stash because I wanted something relatively quick and simple after the hassles with the Short (which WILL be finished, I just need a "change of scenery"). Since I got off work early today I decided to dig it out and start checking it against the DF plans.... Not bad! The span is almost exactly right, and although the chord is about 2.5mm too deep it's not a major problem to correct. So far so good, until.... errr....Houston, we have a problem!! The fuselage is a whopping 11.5mm too long! It is also the wrong shape at the tail (round instead of rectangular section), and about 1.5mm too deep (top to bottom) at the cockpit! So, start with the easy part - the wings! The trailing edge was relieved of 2.5mm of lovely thin plastic and re-thinned to an acceptable edge, and the tip trailing edges were re-shaped. Shown here with the offending excess after removal! Much better! Now the tricky bit - how to go about correcting the awful fuselage. I decided to chop the 11.5mm out of the cockpit area. This would also remove the area which was too deep and bring the fuselage to the correct depth. I measured 45mm from the tail and marked the first cut, then a further 11.5mm and marked that. Masking tape was wound round the cut line and further marked with a pencil. Marked up ready to cut: After cutting the fuselage just a little inside the tape, I simply sanded the ends to remove all the pencil marks - I now knew I had the edges exactly where they were marked and had the correct length! The problem of the plan shape was solved by adding spacers between the fuselage halves - 2mm at the rear tapering to 1mm at the top front and .75mm at the bottom front The front end spacers were added separately as I didn't realise at the time that the front would need widening too! After closing the rear part of the fuselage I added the front pieces that were removed earlier: Much better! That's all I've done today as I want to let the fuselage harden properly before any further work. There are still other problems to deal with: The cockpit decking has been reduced in height to match the new shape of the fuselage but it will need shortening by 2mm and narrowing a little so that will be done later. The wings also sit about 1mm too low so I will remove them from their fuselage moulding, lengthen them slightly to allow for the curvature of the fuselage and keep the span correct, then pin them and add them as one piece before I add the cockpit combing. The spinner also needs attention as it is too pointed and not wide enough.... So much for quick and simple! Fortunately I love this kind of modelling so today has been a very therapeutic rest from the trials of putting together the Short's wings! Thanks for looking in! Ian
  5. 2 points
    I must not say anything, I really must not. Nigel
  6. 2 points
    Did a bit more work on this today. I started by filling the locations for the pylons under the wings, there were a number of ejector pin marks around these and I filled those with cyano before giving them a quick clean up. Next up will be a dusting of primer to check them over to see if there are any gaps and I can see that a couple of the pin marks will need some further sanding down before I assemble them to the fuselage. After I had cleaned up the fuselage seams I temporarily fixed one of the engine exhausts in place so that I could determine the length of the smoke generator pipework. The next step was to fit some plastic rod to one end of the tube so that I could fair this end back into the fuselage later, the other end was set flush with the end of the engine exhaust. I will fit a smaller section of tube into this towards the end of the build and I can bend this into correct position in the exhaust. Once I had glued this in position, using Tamiya Extra thin for the plastic and superglue for the brass rod, I removed the exhaust pipe for painting later. All of that needs a bit of a tidy up now and then I can see if I can add some of the detail between the exhausts.
  7. 2 points
    Stephen - that's very useful - many thanks. Without further ado - pics, prefaced only with the caveat this is rough sanded, and unglued: Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Jonners
  8. 2 points
  9. 2 points
    Etienne, Thrilled that my book inspired this magnificent piece of work. Good for you for going for the complex dorsal ASV array - looks perfect. Robert
  10. 2 points
    Hi all it arrived today, and knowing Heller I managed to get my missus to let me check the sprues don't want the disappointment of the La Reale build with missing sprues. there are in excess of 35 sprues to this kit, it is mahoosive and no mistake. anyway here are some pics
  11. 2 points
    OK no time like now. Gave her a black wash of the wheel bays. Rear one first. Not to bad, the main bays.... Maybe a hairy stick job ? The engine was given one too. Also a first for me.... I masked and sprayed the windscreen and canopy. They did not turn out to bad. All comments welcome. Simon.
  12. 1 point
    Mig-23BN Flogger-H 1:48 Trumpeter Designed from the same basic airframes, the Mig-23 and Mig-27 share a lot of parts, with a strong familial resemblance, and when the Mig-23BN ground-attack variant started to experience negative feedback for its performance, the further development was redesignated as the Mig-27, perhaps to eschew the reputation. The Mig-23 was originally to be a fighter interceptor, but during the development process the need for a fighter-bomber was identified, and the Ground-Attack variant of the Mig-23 was born as the B, or Flogger-F as NATO call them. The large radome was replaced by a sloped nose to give better pilot vision, and ground-attack systems were installed in the new forward fuselage, which earned it the nickname Platypus. The Mig-23BN was the half-way house between the 23 and 27, and was produced in large numbers in the 70s and 80s, with over 600 built in total. It was a modernised version of the B, equipped with the latest engines and hardware, plus newer navigation and attack systems to help it carry out its role, but it was still too much of a fighter for many. It was built alongside and eventually replaced by the Mig-27, which had a cut-down featureset to simplify maintenance and running costs, plus a digital navigation and firing system. The Kit Trumpeter have been working their way through the Mig-23 range for a while now, and this is the latest variant to arrive, and of course there are a sizeable number of common parts to be found in the box as you'd expect. There are seventeen sprues in mid-grey styrene, two in clear, a fret of Photo-Etch (PE) brass, three decal sheets, instruction booklet in landscape A4, and painting guide on a double-sided sheet of A3 glossy paper, plus another single side of an A4 page, both in full colour. Of these sprues, only two of the airframe parts and a clear sprue are different from the M we reviewed a few years ago, and four of the weapons sprues, as you'd guess. There is a lot of detail packed into each sprue, and a fair usage of sliding moulded to obtain more detail, ease construction and reduce the part count. There will of course be quite a few parts left over after construction due to the modular nature of the sprues, but they may well come in handy elsewhere one day. Construction begins with the KM-1 ejection seat, which is also found in the Mig-21, and this is built up from seven parts into a nicely detailed unit, which is installed in the cockpit tub after adding the rear bulkhead, control column and rudder pedals. There is a decal for the side of the headbox, which is always nice to see, as it adds realism to the finished model. The main instrument panel and two tiny sub-panels are supplied with decals with the instrument faces printed on, and with careful painting should look well. There are two inserts for the cockpit sidewalls that install in the fuselage halves, with more decals provided to spruce them up after painting. The rear part of the engine is next, as it will need to be inserted between the fuselage halves before they are closed up. You get the rear engine face, plus a nice well-moulded and slim rendition of the flame-holder for the burner ring. This fits inside a two-part cylindrical trunk, inside which the two single part aft trunk and exhaust petals fit. The nose gear and intake trunking are the final sections to be assembled before the fuselage is closed up, although the main gear bay is later inserted through the hole in the top where the upper fuselage and wing-glove parts fit later in the build. A pair of nice slide-moulded intake trunks are supplied on separate sprues, with the inner surface and splitter-plates added inside, and a PE insert for the boundary-air grille. Some other small parts and PE bits are added, but may be better left off until later due to their size. The aforementioned main gear well is built up from panels, before the wings and their swing mechanism are built into the upper fuselage insert. These have two cogs that mesh with the teeth moulded into the wing root, and small détente depressions ensure that the wings sit at the standard three points of pivot. How long the little bumps will stand up to repeated use is anyone's guess, but mine would be "not long", so don't fiddle with them too much! All these assemblies are then brought together and a pair of cockpit armour panels are added each side of the pilot's station. A pleasingly sharp-edged rear cone is installed around the engine exhausts, and you have a choice of open or closed air-brakes by using one set of parts or another. The large tail and elevators are also built and added to their respective slots and holes. Coaming and canopy can be glued in at this point, and the clear parts are thin with good transparency, but don't make the mistake of using the windscreen on the sprue with the other clear parts, as it isn't appropriate for the BN, which had a higher pilot's position and deeper canopy than the fighter models. The main landing gear is quite complex, and has a couple of captive bay doors, one of which is PE, so these will be fun to decide on building an painting order, but take your time and everything should turn out ok. They fit on pegs into holes in the main bay, as does the simpler nose gear leg. The tyres are nicely detailed and come in two parts with plenty of moulded-in detail, but would benefit from a swipe with a sanding stick to weight them slightly. The remainder of the gear bay doors are captive to the fuselage and have separate actuator struts. The primary job of the Flogger-H is ground attack, which is why it wears the distinctive radar-free droop-snoot for enhanced visibility, which is separate to the fuselage, and has a number of probes and antennae added to and around it, plus the gun-pack under the belly with two slide-moulded hollow 23mm barrels peeking from inside the aerodynamic fairing. The other aspect of ground attack is the complement of weapons that it carries. It shares some sprues with the fighter incarnation, but has four additional sprues that contain all the ground-attack related stores. In the box you get the following: 2 x R-13M Advanced Atoll A2A Missiles 2 x R-13M1 Advanced Atoll A2A Missiles 2 x FAB-500 bomb 4 x R-60 Aphid A2A Missile 1 x PTB-800 centreline fuel tank 2 x wing-mounted drop-tanks 12 x FAB-100 bomb 12 x FAB-250 bomb 2 x KMGU-2 Cluster Bombs Pylons, multiple-ejection racks, adaptors and sway-braces are all supplied, and the last page of the instructions shows what could be mounted on each of the nine pylons, although you would be best advised to check available references if you are looking to depict a realistic war or training load. Markings As you may have already gleaned from the number of decal sheets, there are a generous six decal options in the box, with varying camouflage schemes and operators. From the box you can build one of the following: Czechoslovakian 9139 in green/sand/dark green camo over light grey and an eagle head motif on the nose. Czechoslovakian 5140 in green/sand/dark green camo over light grey. German Democratic Republic red 15 in dark green/tan camo over light blue. Soviet red 63 in light brown/green/medium green camo over grey blue underside. Soviet red 51 in light brown/green/medium green camo over grey blue underside. Ethiopian 1270 in sand/mid green/dark green/brown camo over grey blue underside. The decal sheets are broken down into three sheets as already mentioned, one of which contains stencils for the weapons, another for the airframe and cockpit, while the larger sheet contains all the aircraft specific decals plus the national insignia. The sheets are printed internally, and have good register, colour density and sharpness, although the Ethiopian roundel proportions are a little off because the yellow band is slightly too wide. If that bothers you, you'll need to either source or print some of your own. Conclusion Whether it's another one to add to your brace of Cold War Soviet metal, or just an impulse buy, there's a lot of plastic in the box, nice detail and a plethora of weapons to use or store for future projects. As the BN was used in harsh conditions, you'll have plenty of opportunity to show off your weathering talents, but if you're clumsy like me, you might want to nip off those moulded-in static wicks and put them back later to save the annoyance of losing them during handling. Highly recommended. Review sample courtesy of UK Distributors for
  13. 1 point
    Was given a last minute opportunity to snap the lizard jet before she goes to paint and comes out grey. Another first for the 1d as it was to be a night shoot! A16Y0828 by Tom Sunley, on Flickr A16Y0829 by Tom Sunley, on Flickr A16Y0833 by Tom Sunley, on Flickr A16Y0835 by Tom Sunley, on Flickr Hope you like... Planned for repaint tomorrow
  14. 1 point
    Touche, M. Hendie! It could indeed, but it's a lot littler! Then again it has a lot fewer parts too! How much detail is there to add to something that had a prop with bullet deflectors....and no electrickery? Ian
  15. 1 point
  16. 1 point
    Gordon's is just round the corner from us and you are correct they did have some kits, in fact about 2 months ago they must have had a visit from the Airfix rep because they suddenly had an enormous selection of starter kits, lower series kits and a few larger ones, it was a very well placed display just as you walk in the door and extremely well merchandised. Whether they did it themselves or whether it was a rep I don't know but it worked because within weeks they had nearly cleared the stock (and there must have been a good 80 odd kits to start with), with Alford being a small village I thought that was pretty good going but when I last when in (a couple of weeks ago) still no stock replenishment!! Again, I don't know if this is down to the Airfix rep, lack of one or the shop themselves but for me it sums up the problem. I took my son back round to look for another kit (he wanted the Gnat he saw when he bought the previous kit) and there was nothing to choose from, he ended up buying Lego the next day at Tesco's. I can try to teach patients but he wanted something to do at the weekend and wasn't going to wait until the big H delivered a Gnat on Tuesday ha ha. More sales reps, more feet on the ground pushing local retailers and they'll get the sales from kids!!
  17. 1 point
    I can't quite visualise that pylon on a Victor, or a VC10 for that matter Isn't the leading edge angle 'wrong'?
  18. 1 point
    Wow (again) Very impressed with your patience & dedication. I would have given up a long time ago. In fact, I probably wouldn't have started.
  19. 1 point
    I think there were too many GBs in the mix this year and the votes spread too thin.
  20. 1 point
    Hello,General - I offer my salutes to you on a very interesting story and splendid build of this awesome looking concept.The 'P42' was another visionary prospect from a country with a world leading aviation industry.All the very best,Paul.
  21. 1 point
    I don't know how to add images through the phone haha
  22. 1 point
    Etiennedup That’s a great looking model. You’ve really captured the ‘look’ and the weathering is beautifully balanced. Very pleased the book was able to give you inspiration and the technical information you needed for your model. I’ve been hoping someone would put those scale drawings to good use! :-) Juanita
  23. 1 point
    Excellent Duncan, really like the way you have done the propeller and hub, and for all it's faults it still looks unmistakably like a 109 to me
  24. 1 point
    Well, aint she purdy. A true joy to behold. Cheers, Mike
  25. 1 point
    Thank's Rob,the issues seem to be around the intakes and there are AM pieces available,but I'm happy to build as is.
  26. 1 point
  27. 1 point
    Massive credit if you tackle that paint scheme Tim, probably the most tricky I have seen yet. At least with Viggens there are masks available!
  28. 1 point
    Nice, Rick. Great checkerboard masking, I like your "station" Simon.
  29. 1 point
  30. 1 point
    welcome aboard...and OH WOW! I really like your choice even if the painting is going to be a bit of a challenge! I'd be tempted to try the liquid mask option first, it may be the easiest. But test it out first, you'll need to keep the masking fluid nice and thin but still want a good coat. Else if you can find masking tape in a sheet (or just use the cheap stuff and make up a sheet) and draw/copy on the patten it. Then cut it out and apply to the model like that. Anyway, good luck with the build, if you can pull off this paint job she'll look stunning!
  31. 1 point
    Cheers Paul Im glad you like them. Peregrine is in the works again but Mallard has had the chassis with the Ultra scales all fitted now. There is another thread on here with it all on looks way better with the shiney wheels. sadly the Decoder died so I need to get that fixed then make a video. I have another Mallard im thinking or doing weary and well worn as she was in service with the LNER I love A4s as much as Vulcans
  32. 1 point
    Nice to see another 1/48th model from you . Mr. Franciszek plane looks great.
  33. 1 point
    Nothing like leaving it last minute.
  34. 1 point
    Hello,Rob - This horrible weather and shorter daylight hours make us turn our attention from Runways to Railways and I love all you've done here with the magnificent 'A4's. Your whole fleet is magnificent and the LNER Garter Blue really suits the type so well.Sir Nigel Gresley would smile with pride at your tribute to him and you deserve to do so too.We both love the 'thrust and thunder' in the sky but it's so relaxing and enjoyable to watch the model trains go by..Great stuff.All the very best,Paul.
  35. 1 point
    Thanks Mark, coming together well. Need to get my skates on if I want to finish this and the BUFF by the deadline!
  36. 1 point
    No, this was when high level missions were thought necessary. The Valiant suffered from its metallurgy, the choice of a poor alloy which wasn't used on the Vulcan or Victor. However, with its long wing the Victor would use up its fatigue life quickly at low level. Having been caught out by the Lancaster, Sir Fred was determined that his bomber would carry more than Avro's, this time around. I suspect that the RAF/MoD had no particular requirement for more, but weren't going to object if it came as a free option.
  37. 1 point
    Oh it's definately a Victor and the pictures of the Victor on the desk. I just could not resist putting in a voice to beg for a 1/72 VC-10 it would be something that
  38. 1 point
    God I really hope we get a VC10 soon but I reckon the refilling pod in the pic is more likely to be on a victor. Having said that, there is something about the pod and its pylon that doesn't quite look like it belongs on either. Unless it's my old eyes lol
  39. 1 point
    Turning into a very nice looking "Jug" Simon, the canopy is excellent
  40. 1 point
    Of course the original idea was to power it with Chevy small blocks....
  41. 1 point
    Aaaand we're on the home stretch. P. S. The one year thing... I sent a card....
  42. 1 point
    Thanx! Such painting scheme was proposed by Montex. To be honest, I did not investigate the topic deeply... Now I know, that this intepretation of BW photos was probably wrong, but it is too late to repaint. I thinh that LaGG looks great in this scheme, even if it is SF
  43. 1 point
  44. 1 point
    Hi Bish Looking good, (being an ex crewman) One point of note no crewman would ever stow his bergan(never used a bergan on a tank ever) on the rear deck like that. Darren
  45. 1 point
    Like this Matt??? (the brass rod supports are PS'd out) Yes they are contraprops - exactly the same Kuznetsov NK-12 engine as fitted to the Tu-95 Bear and An-22 Cock I did quite a few mods to the nose intakes and cockpit - the Revell/Zvezda kit is way out in this area. My build is here Here's how big it isn't - compared to the other 2 Aleksayev designs...... (all in 1/144 scale)....with a Bear for size comparison Linky to more photos. Happy Modelling Ken PS - The real thing is now a museum in Moscow....
  46. 1 point
    Sometimes, it's pot luck. At night they wander far and wide.
  47. 1 point
    Thanks again all, Probably not Wizard as it was designed as part of a series of proposals looking at the effects of hypersonic flight, (particularly kinetic heating) on aircraft systems, engines and airframes. It would have been a research aircraft from the outset, (much as the Bristol T.188, which also studied the layout of the proposed Avro 730 bomber). Quite a few studies were made around the P.42 proposal, (believe it or not this was one of the more restrained designs !), this just happens to be one of English Electrics projects, EAG 3280. The aircraft was to use highly modified RR RB.168 Speys using an advanced bypass system, the intakes designed to control shock wave development much the same way as the XB-70, the problem being that it was all unknown territory back then and it was thought unviable to proceed so the projects were abandoned. Another proposal for this version was to use it as an air breathing satellite launch system which would have required a lengthened fuselage and new engines, (possibly RR FPS.146 Turborockets), but was very much on the drawing board. An amazing time, just about anything went and we were world leaders in the field....just look at things now ! Great stuff John...haven't seen drawings for that particular aircraft, P.37 (EAG 3212) before, though it might well have morphed later into the EAG 4426 design which shared a great deal of commonality with this design but was to be armed with BAC Tychon stand off missiles and a 'glide bomb' designed to be released at hypersonic speed and use kinetic energy to cause massive damage, (so called 'rods of the gods')... ..... There are shades of Luft '46 about this one and F-117 in plan view. I have quite a few of these drawings, some pretty bizarre projects. Phil Buttler's excellent British Secret Aircraft, (hypersonics, ramjets and missiles) has a raft of info on these designs, all fair game for us 'If only' modellers !.
  48. 1 point
    Is that a Teaser on the Airfix Facebook page today? Second photo has the 3D design of a HDU...
  49. 1 point
    They are just jealous Julian cos they haven't got a little thing to play with in the bath Originally Fairplay I was stationed in Rotterdam, Fairplay III in Antwerp and X in Hamburg. As you say they pack a punch, 5000 HP with a 70 ton bollard pull. Kev
  50. 1 point
    I thought you would like to see this General John
This leaderboard is set to London/GMT+01:00
  • Create New...