Hurricane Mk.IIc (Expert Set) 70035 - 1:72

Paul A H

Hurricane Mk.IIc (Expert Set) 70035

1:72 Arma Hobby

hurricaneiic_01.jpg

Although somewhat less glamorous than the Supermarine Spitfire, it was the Hawker Hurricane that proved to be the backbone of the UK's air defences during the summer of 1940. Designed in 1935, the Hurricane was relatively advanced compared to other fighters in service at that point. It featured a fully enclosed cockpit, retractable undercarriage, eight .303 inch machine guns, a powerful liquid-cooled V12 engine and, most importantly, a cantilever monoplane. Despite its modern appearance, the design and manufacturing techniques were thoroughly conventional. This proved useful when it came to manufacture because the aircraft was easy to produce, repair and maintain. The Hurricane's first kill was achieved on 21st October 1939 when 46 Sqn found and attacked a squadron of Heinkel He115s over the North Sea. The Mk.IIC was a much improved version, armed with four 20mm cannon and equipped with the Rolls Royce Merlin XX engine, capable of developing almost 1,500hp. These aircraft were generally used for ground attack and night fighting duties as, despite the improvements, it couldn't quite compete with the best the Luftwaffe had to offer. 

Arma Hobby hail from Warsaw, Poland. Although a relatively new name to the hobby, I've been mightily impressed with their products and in particular the way they manage to combine fine detail with ease of assembly. The moulded plastic parts are as well-made as anything I've seen from the big names in the hobby, with crisp panel lines and a finesse of finish that really helps their kits to stand out. This makes for appealing kits that you really want to build as soon as you handle the plastic. As this is an Expert Set, you get extra decal options, paint masks and a small fret of brass parts too. The decals look excellent and the full-colour instructions are equally impressive. 

hurricaneiic_02.jpg

Although this kit follows on from Arma Hobby's earlier Hurricane Mk.I, as the kit is presented on a single frame of parts it is to all intents and purposes an entirely new model. Construction starts with the wing and the main landing gear wheel well. This is assembled and sandwiched between the surfaces of the single span upper and lower wing. With the wings assembled, construction moves on to the cockpit. Some of the parts, such as the rudder pedal and control column, are added onto the floor that is moulded as part of the upper wing, while the remaining parts including the instrument panel, seat and structural framework are sandwiched between the fuselage halves. The small fret of photo etched parts comes into play at this juncture, providing the seat harnesses, instrument panel, compass and throttle control.

Once the fuselage halves have been joined, the previously assembled main wing can then be added, along with the vertical and horizontal tail. The rudder is a solid part, while the elevators are moulded separately. The tail wheel and main wheels can now be added. Flat spots are moulded in place on the main wheels, and as this is part of Arma Hobby's 'Expert Set' range, pre-cut paint masks are provided for all of the wheels. Once the landing gear doors have been added, the radiator and carburettor intake can be assembled. Again the photo etch comes into play, providing parts for the latter as well as the landing lights, exhaust flame shields and pilot's footstep. The tropical air filter for HV560 can also be added at this stage. Last but not least, the four 20mm cannon barrels, the propeller and spinner and the aerial mast can be added, as well as the two-part canopy for which masks are provided. 

hurricaneiic_03.jpg

hurricaneiic_04.jpg

The decal options include:

• Hurricane Mk IIc, BE500/LK-A, 87 Squadron RAF, Spring 1942, flown by Squadron Leader Denis Smallwood. This aircraft is finished in overall black;
  • Hurricane Mk IIc, BE500/LK-A, 87 Squadron RAF, Operation Jubilee, Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942, flown by Squadron Leader Denis Smallwood and Flight Sergeant Henryk Józef Trybulec. This aircraft is finished in Dark Green and Ocean Grey over black;
  • Hurricane Mk IIc, Z3899/JX-W, 1 Squadron RAF, November 1941. This aircraft is finished in Dark Green and Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey; and
  • Hurricane Mk IIc trop, HV560/FT-Z, 43 Squadron RAF, Maison Blanche, Algieria, December, 1942, flown by Squadron Leader Michael "Micky" Rook. This aircraft is finished in Dark Green and Dark Earth over Sky Blue.

The decals are superbly printed and a full set of stencils is included. 

hurricaneiic_05.jpg

Conclusion

I'm always glad to see an Arma Hobby kit in my review boxes as, in my experience they really kit the sweet spot between detail and buildability. The care and attention they take with the design and production of each model is a key feature of their kits, and this is no exception. The amount and quality of detail on offer is easily on a par with their competitors, but the kit is not over-engineered and should be easy to build as a result. The decal options are excellent too. Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.jpg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 12:29 AM, Solar Panel Phil said:

My first impression is that the nose is short for the MK. IIc and looks like a Mk.1 - I await the Hurricane Expertens' views!   

Your first impression seems to be mistaken. I just compared the Arma Mk.I to the Arma Mk.II and the Mk.II is not only longer but the added length is in the right place i.e. the section of fuselage between the windscreen and the engine bay. My references say that this section was lengthened by 4 inches to accommodate the longer supercharger of the Merlin XX. 4 inches works out to 1.4 mm in 1/72 scale. I measure the actual difference to be about 1.6 mm but this was with a straight rule, not calipers so I could easily be a couple of tenths of a mm off in either direction. From the cockpit back to the rudder post, the Arma Mk.II matches the Mk.I exactly. The Mk.II spinner is also longer than the Mk.I’s which should result in an overall scale length change of 6 or 7 inches. The Arma Mk.II seems correct.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 5/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, Solar Panel Phil said:

VMA131Marine, thanks for the correction and the checking - good to read all is in order! 

I did the check but, to be honest, I would have been shocked if the kit had been wrong. In their releases so far, Arma have shown great commitment to getting the details right. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, Antoine said:

Excellent review, Paul, as usual.

Looks like its a fine kit, but they've missed something with the boxart

Half a century ago, Matchbox's was much more accurate

Agreed! This aircraft performed in the night intruder role over occupied France, not as a night fighter as depicted on the box art.

128582-13652-88-pristine.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine

• 1 year later...