F-16E Fighting Falcon

Paul A H

F-16E Fighting Falcon

1:72 Hasegawa

f16eboxtop.jpg

A true global success story, nearly 4500 examples of the F-16 have been manufactured, making it one of the most produced jet fighters in history. The type is in service with 25 national air forces worldwide and counting. The F-16E (single seat) and F (two seat) variants are based on the F-16C/D but feature an improved AN/APG-80 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar, greatly improved avionics and the powerful GE F110-132 engine. This variant is also compatible with conformal fuel tanks (CFTs), which when fitted to the upper fuselage give the aircraft a much more substantial and purposeful appearance (in my opinion at least). The United Arab Emirates was the first customer for this advanced variant.

Hasegawa’s F-16 has been around for a few years now. In that time has appeared in a variety of boxings with different sprues added to enable different variants to be built. This edition continues the bloodline by adding new parts for the CFTs , tail and other differences between the D and previous versions.

The kit’s 95 parts are all nicely moulded in light grey plastic. Surface detail is typical of modern Hasegawa kits – precisely and delicately engraved, with no softness of fading of panel lines. That isn’t to say that the kit is without fault, however. The cockpit tub is very simplistic and lacks any kind of raised detail. Decals are provided to represent the instruments instead. A reasonably decent ACES II seat is included, but all-in-all this is one kit that would really benefit from some resin or photo etch treatment.

f16esprue1.jpg

f16esprue2.jpg

f16esprue3.jpg

Unlike Revell’s F-16, the fuselage halves are moulded in one piece without a separate cockpit area. This eliminates the need to clean up an awkward join line but on the other hand the wings are moulded separately so there may still be a little cleaning up to do. The undercarriage bays have a basic level of detail; not great, but just enough to do the job. The potentially tricky engine intake is moulded in five parts and is nicely detailed, although it is not full-depth. The surface detail on the new parts such as the CFTs and tail match the older parts perfectly, which is just as well. The undercarriage is nicely detailed, although the nose wheel is moulded in one piece with the gear leg and none of the wheels are weighted.

f16esprue4.jpg

f16esprue5.jpg

f16esprue6.jpg

A decent set of ordnance is included, comprised of AIM-9L/M Sidewinders, AIM-120B AMRAAMs, two 370 gallon fuel tanks and one 300 gallon fuel tank. Some other bits and bobs are also included but are not used and so may go into the spares box until they are needed one day. The canopy is nice and transparent but is not tinted. This distinctive feature is left to the builder to capture.

f16espruedecals.jpg

No fewer than seven different aircraft are represented on the decal sheet, albeit aircraft which are virtually identical apart from their codes. All belong to the UAE Air Force and feature a pleasing two-tone grey camouflage. The decals are nicely printed but as with most Hasegawa decals they are rather thick.

Conclusion

Although not without faults, overall this is a nice kit and it should look impressive once built. The surface detail is excellent and a definite high point, while the basic cockpit is probably the weakest area. Whilst this is not a cheap kit, any extra money spent on an aftermarket ‘pit would probably be a wise investment.

Review sample courtesy of logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg

Ive been strongly toying with the idea of picking one of these up, but the IAF version, i must admit your review and the kit really does look good, only thing that puts me off is the high price.

Still, a great looking kit.

Isn't that the case for pretty much all Hasegawa stuff? I've seen a few Hase kits at the local shop for the different F-16's and the F-4's and they really do look quite good, but at a third or fourth of the price I can get a pretty damn decent Revell boxing which with some work will be just a nice (like the Belgian Tigermeet F-16 I just finished).

Sorry about the tangent.

Thanks for the review.

The Revell F-16 is very nice too - check out my recent reviews of the F-16MLU and F-16C versions. Both kits have different strengths and weaknesses. Of course the Revell kit isn't available in F-16E or F-16I guise, so the comparison isn't really valid if that's the version you have your heart set on building.

Nick, if you're after an Israeli F-16I, you also have the choice of the Kinetic kit in 1:72. Again it has strengths and weaknesses compared to the Hasegawa offering. Surface detail isn't quite as crisp as the Hasegawa offering, but the detail in the cockpit and landing gear bays is better. It also has a superb selection of ordnance - enough to kit out the F-16I and an Israeli F-4 or F-15 as well. RRP is around £17-18, putting it between the Hasegawa and Revell kits. You can see my attempt to build the Kinetic kit here.

• 3 years later...

I managed to get one a couple of months ago (at some expense, I might add :confused: ) because of an article I read in some Key Publishing magazine dealing with the UAE Air Force. I also got inspired by Mike's Kinetic build here on the forums, but thought that 48th scale is a number too big for me. Anyway, better chances of scoring a lower price in the 1/48th category than finding [and willing to pay for] a Hasegawa 72nd scale example :)

Anyway, can I be of any assistance regarding this kit?

• Like 1

I managed to get one a couple of months ago (at some expense, I might add :confused: ) because of an article I read in some Key Publishing magazine dealing with the UAE Air Force. I also got inspired by Mike's Kinetic build here on the forums, but thought that 48th scale is a number too big for me. Anyway, better chances of scoring a lower price in the 1/48th category than finding [and willing to pay for] a Hasegawa 72nd scale example :)

Anyway, can I be of any assistance regarding this kit?

thanks mate i acually got a 1/72 kit yesterday for £20.00 ... but more would be nice !

thomas