Italeri 1/72 Gulf War Tornado GR1 **FINISHED**

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

This is my first :speak_cool: GB on Britmodeller and am really looking forward to it! I'm hoping to build this beauty (scroll about 1/3 way down) Dahran Annie

Decals will be courtesy of the great people at Model Alliance Gulf War Tornados

Kit is this from my stash

Kits022.jpg

The plan is to build this mostly OOB - am only just back to the hobby after some years away so not aiming too high with this one.

Wishing you success with your own builds and look forward to seeing some great Tonkas here.

Happy Modelling,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

Hi Dermot,

Glad to have you on board. Looking forward to your build. If you want any help or info, there is the reference sections or just pop into 'The Mess' for a chat and someone there will help you out.

Steve

Hello all Tornado fans and some great builds in progress! Just a quick update on mine..

I started putting the office together and some of the stores including the tanks, ECM pod and chaff/flare dispenser. All are kit parts and fit ok. The tanks look a little undersize but I can live with that. Will raid some other Tornado's in the stash for the ordinance.

Italeri172TornadoGR1001.jpg

Italeri172TornadoGR1003.jpg

The cockpit is very basic and while it does have raised details, them appear to be on loaves of bread! Not to worry as once buttoned up and with the seats in, most of this won't be too visible. Also added more detail to the rear bulkhead.

Italeri172TornadoGR1002.jpg

The wheel bays sidewalls also looked devoid of detail so added some plastic strip there. Again, probably not 100% accurate and apologies in advance to any current/ex-Tornado crew at my modelling heresy!

Italeri172TornadoGR1005.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot

Thanks Phil, will post WIP pics when I can.

Good start Dermot.

Are you going to heavily weather your kit?

Steve

Yes Steve, plan to go heavy on the weathering - from some of the close up pics in the reference section, some of them had a tough life!

Cheers,

Dermot

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tornado-ers and some great work underway here - finally got around to doing some myself...and posting it!

First pic is the 2 fuselage halves, with the "loaves of bread" cockpit panels. I added some weight to the nose and decided to glue the working swing mechanism, even though it's a great little feature on the kit. The seats are poorly detailed and lacking in size but am going OOB on this build so just added some belts to them from masking tape.

Hobby001-1.jpg

And here's the end result. Will require some sanding on the sides/nose to remove the upper/lower seam. And since the wings now leave a mighty gap behind, have a plan in mind for that.

Hobby003-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling!

Dermot

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone - quick update on my Tornado.

Added the intakes (terrible fit those) and then filled and sanded.....lots.

Italeri172TornadoGR1.jpg

And took a leaf out of Phil's build (at least I think it was Phil!) and used foil to fill the gaps in the wing gloves.

Before..

Italeri172GR1glovebefore.jpg

After..

Italeri172GR1gloveafter.jpg

Hopefully off for primer coat this weekend.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling!

Best wishes,

Dermot

Nice work so far Dermot, looking forward to seeing some paint on it!

That foil idea works quite well I think, only thing I found was I pulled it off one side with the tape I used when rescribing some lost panel lines!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update before a week off with the family..

Quick coat of Halfords plastic primer (works nice)

TornadoGR1primer.jpg

Unfortunately I'm still beholden to the hairy sticks so this is brush painted with Revell's Desert Sand. Hmmmmmm.....The photo/light isn't great on it and to me it looks a little too sandy as opposed to Desert Pink on some of those Gulf builds here. Nose radome and anti glare panel will be tidied up.

Thoughts anyone? I couldn't be arsed stripping it back at this stage as I'll never make the deadline and I'm just hoping that washes, decals and weathering will tone it back a bit. Or am I fooling myself?

ItaleriTornadoGR1paint.jpg

Enjoy your modelling and maybe the week off will improve my mood!

As always, thanks for reading.

Dermot

Difficult to tell from pics, but it does look a little too yellow, I wouldn't let it bother you too much, the sun would have faded the paint colour anyway and I'm sure they were various shades at various points in the campaing!

Like you say after some weathering it'll look spot on!

Enjoy the break!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone and really inspiring work around these parts - it keeps me motivated! Here's a quick update (and question) on this build.

Have tidied up the nose and glare panel and painted some other small parts like the wing gloves and ordinance. Must be the light or my crappy camera but she doesn't look as sandy today.

ItaleriTornadoGR1paint2.jpg

Anyway, my question is (and sorry for being a numpty) are my next steps in this order?

Future

Wash

Decals

Weathering

Matt coat

Thanks for looking and big thanks in advance.

Dermot

Welcome back!

Looking good,

I think the general consensus is Gloss coat, decals, gloss to seal, then wash and weathering, then Matt, that way the decals get weathered too!

Personally I tend to use a promodellers wash straight after painting, as I find that especially in 1/72, the wash doesnt stay in the panel lines after a few coats of gloss!

I guess it's personal taste! I've not done much weathering but everytime I have I've don't it differently!

Sorry that doesn't help much!!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Dermot!

I see you have used the wine bottle foil method for the wing gloves as well! Am pushing hard with my own 1/72nd pink Tornado, so all things being equal we should have two Gulf War birds to pair up in the 1/72nd category!

Paul

So which one of you wants to win the Ultimate Lancaster Detail set?

Steve

Thanks Steve but to be honest, my 1/72 build won't be in the races when compared with HillStar's, Phil and Paul's so I think I can rule myself out of any prizes. She won't be "pink" enough, the finish isn't good enough (but getting better) and am still trying to rescue a decal disaster.

Besides, I've enjoyed my first ever GB here and am really looking forward to my next one which involves some American swing-wing naval fighter that's apparently popular among modellers.....Yeah baby

Cheers,

Dermot