Its just sooooo much nasty green plastic...........

Afternoon all,

After a recent jet I'm having a go at this offering from Revell.

The kit seems to fit fairly well which is surprising given the size of the beast !

Might do some basic detailing inside, but I'm wondering about some battle damage, maybe half the rudder and some vert'stab' damage, an engine flare-out and possibly some wing damage.

If anyone has any tips on pulling this sort of detailing off I'd be very interested to have a nosey.

Box shot:-

100_2088.jpg

Initial dry fit of the airframe is fairly promising:-

100_2089.jpg

Might take a while this one !!

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

Nearly all of my models have been moulded in grey plastic recently. I'd forgotten that there were some nasty polystyrene colours around in the past!

Good luck with this one and I'm certainly watching... ;popcorn:

I have just started this very same kit (Currently in the middle of rescribing... first try at it!!) and was thinking the exact same so I shall be watching this build for tips!! Im sure a mate of mine said someone does damaged resin control surfaces but then again I could just be imagining it! Good luck on your build!! :thumbsup:

Just checked with said mate, it was meteor productions (cutting edge) so I guess they will be quite hard to find!

Edited by Craigievee

I've built many of these and a problem I've found with each and every one (be it Revell or Monogram) is a poor fit where the lower sides of the wings meet the fuselage.

Other than that they go together pretty well, especially when you consider the age of the moulds!

We should all go on a Revell boycott until they stop using crappy coloured plastic and revert to a nice neutral grey! I'm struggling with a 1/32 Alouette which is is a really god-awful dark blue!

Looking forward to seeing how you defeat this monster!

Edited by MakingModelsAgain

For battle damage have a look at the many photos there are to see what you want to replicate.In the past when I've shown rudder damage I cut away the area that is to be damaged plus a bit more say to the next internal rib.Then rebuild the rudder structure with evergreen or similar and cover the surface in either paper (if it's a linen surface) or tin foil or drinks can ali if it's a metal surface.Once it's been rebuilt to 'original' condition,then 'attack' it with various tools-I use a knife,bradle and small pliers to give the desired effect-gently though!

For wing or fuselage damage,I cut a panel out again bigger than needed in the plastic-but to match existing panel lines on the model.Add some evergreen around the hole from the inside for support of the new panel.Then cut out a piece of drink can,score the underside (it tears more easily when damaged then) and shape as required,then superglue in place.Finish and paint model,then drill small holes through panel.for bullet holes open out a bit with bradle or similar,the metal should then deform and rip as a real panel would and paint chips off with jagged edges.

Some people thin the back surface of the model with a dremel or similar and then 'damage' that to give an effect-easier to do but maybe not quite so effective?

HTH

Mike

Thanks for the tips on damage and the fit issues.

I'm not going to re-scribe it as that is one skill I don't have any confidence in yet, so I'll be doing my best to live with the rised detail. I do fancy having a go at this battle damage though, off to look for some pics !!!

Thanks for the encouragement chaps, some progress pics soon.

Cheers, Si.

That's a big one you've got there Simon !! :rolleyes:

'Ey-yup Steve, nice to see you posting and not just lurking :bleh:

Guess you recognise this beastie then ?!!

What do you reckon to some nice battle damage then? I've found some good references and this copper tape looks like a good scale match to simulate some flak damaged panels. I might even use a .177 rifle round for the large holes !!

I'll get some pics up soon, promise !

Cheers, Si.

Big plane indeed. Had the pleasure of seeing one up close last week ( in flying shape too) . What a plane. $ 450 for 40 minutes of flight time.....saving the money to go up.

will be watching your build.

Oliver

Eve all,

Been making a little progress today with the battle damage.

I'm going for a rear, upward attack with cannons, (poss a 190 ??!!!), across one horizontal stab, light damage to the fuse' waist section and possibly half the rudder and a good portion of fin damage depending on how detailed I can get the internals !!

So far I've cut part of the horizontal stab' away and separated the elevator:-

100_2090.jpg

100_2091.jpg

Made a section from copper tape to replace part of the missing section and soldered a first rib in so I can work with it:-

100_2092.jpg

100_2093.jpg

100_2094.jpg

Some of these off-cuts might be usefull too:-

100_2095.jpg

Making some more ribs up and drilling them, followed by some more intenal structures then will see about bending it all up to buggery !!

Not a traditional start for me anyway, and its looking like a proper WIP this time with pics of a proper cutting mat and everything !!!!!!!!

Having fun as usual, Si.

Hi Oliver,

I'm just doing this horizontal stab' first to see if my way of building is going to work effectively. Here are a few links to sites I'm using for reference, I've not been able to find any good colour or production line shots for the unmolested internal structure.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/...=23&t=17635

http://www.91stbombgroup.com/photo_history/photohistory.html

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/B17STUFF.html

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/contents.htm

I've made one of the main spares so far, will need to reduce the thickness of the plastic to accomodate it as it is the thinnest I can make with pliers !!:-

100_2096.jpg

100_2097.jpg

I need to find some detail photo's of the control surface linkage for the elevator and rudder so they can be shown all knackered up too !!

More soldering required !!

Si.

I've had an idea !!

I've made a very rough mock-up of a wing section from copper and I'm going to hit it with a .177 rifle round tomorrow....eeek!!!

I've just tack soldered it together at key points so it might just come apart with a bit of realism, either that or it will just dissappear !!!

I'll post the after shots tomorrow !

100_2099.jpg

100_2100.jpg

The good thing is that it doesn't have to be dead straight and square so the construction favours my technique !

Si.

This is really just me having a bit of a laugh shooting things but here are the after photo's:-

100_2101.jpg

The two little bits of twisted copper did make up the middle rib

100_2110.jpg

100_2106.jpg

I've a feeling that with a bit of paint on and some artistic license it could look pretty realistic, especially with some proper drilled ribs and spars.

Hummm..............

Si.

Eve chaps,

It's not what you'd call a 'real' gun BB, its a PCP air rifle, Rapid 17 Custom for those that know !!

I've painted my test section up with some ish-likely colours just to see if the overall effect looks right:-

4-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

Its in the ball-park, I just need to detail all the ribs , spars and little bracing bits as best I can then shoot it !!

Now having way too much fun !!!

Si.

Last bit of progress for tonight,

Finished building the proper part of the stab' that's going to get damaged.

Made up some ribs and spar then soldered them into the section. Test fitting looks good with the spars, leading and trailing edge line up and will only need a bit of filler.

Finally painted the inside with some XF-4. I'll paint the outer surfaces tomorrow then shoot it up a bit !!

100_2117.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2124.jpg

More soon, Si.