Bristol M1C Bullet

stevehed

Anyone remember this?

Quite enjoyed the recent MS J so I thought I'd run another monoplane alongside the DH9 conversion. Have had a copy of the Airfix mag Sept 1981 since it came out and in it is an article by Chris Ellis on a Bristol conversion using an Airfix Gladiator which he stressed was the best version to use. As it is in the shops again and the Bullet is not easily obtainable I thought let's have a go, after all it's been a to do project for 30 years. Going to try and modify the methodology concerning the nose/engine area but otherwise have so far followed CE's formula.

Regards, Steve

PICT0047.jpg

That's cool. You'll be cracking out the PC12 paint then, or will this be a training squadron version?

Look forward to seeing this one progress. I am certainly going to have to get hold of some old airfix magazines and have a look myself. Does anyone know of an index to these volumes which would identify these regular conversion articles?

Will

Thought about PC12 but the article quotes PC10 for aircraft in the Middle East. Have always preferred brown to the more greener tints for PC10 so will probably stick with this. Unless someone can say when PC12 became the norm for these regions???

Cheers, Steve

PICT0049.jpg

A little farther advanced. Hard to see because of the similarities of colour but the leading edges have been increased by 1.5mm. Used Evergreen strip and filed to shape. Quite a bit of filler used to eradicate the Gladiator panels and aerilions, not forgetting the small gaps beneath the wings. More filler was used to blend the engine/cowling to the fuselage. Cockpit rim was the gunner's ring from the Harry Tate which became the Oeffag. Proof of the old adage of never throw anything away. This also needed a bit of filler. Ribs on both wings and fuselage were scored with a sharp knife where required. Stabs are from the 504 but required a small addition to the tips and fin/rudder will have to be cut from card. Have sourced an mg from a Strutter kit and the u/c and rigging post will be plastic rod and the rest from the spares. Undecided about the huge spinner as I believe it was left off when temperatures soared.

Regards, Steve

Nice job, Steve! Now that's not one that would have occurred to me - turning a Gladiator into a Bristol Bullet. I converted one into a Gauntlet, but that was easy compared to this. I've always liked the Bullet so I may have a go myself, following your build. It's too bad the Imperial High Command were so blinkered when it came to monoplanes that they sent the Bullets to Palestine. It would have been interesting to see how they did against the Germans. You've no doubt thought about this, but I'm sure you could find a spare bomb or fuel tank that would fit the bill for the spinner.

Regards,

Learstang

Edited by Learstang

That's cool. You'll be cracking out the PC12 paint then, or will this be a training squadron version?

Look forward to seeing this one progress. I am certainly going to have to get hold of some old airfix magazines and have a look myself. Does anyone know of an index to these volumes which would identify these regular conversion articles?

Will

Came across a thread on the Aerodrome that reckoned 72 squadron Bullets were PC12. Previously concocted a mix of Revell Matt Brown 84 and Revell Rust in equal parts but have ran out of the rust. Three parts Brown 84 to two parts Humbrol Matt Red 60 seemed to give similar results. The link is to the Airfix Magazine index.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/uk/airfix_magazine80.htm

Cheers, Steve

Nice job, Steve! Now that's not one that would not have occurred to me - turning a Gladiator into a Bristol Bullet. I converted one into a Gauntlet, but that was easy compared to this. I've always like the Bullet so I may have a go myself, following your build. It's too bad the Imperial High Command was so blinkered when it came to monoplanes that they sent the Bullets to Palestine. It would have been interesting to see how they did against the Germans. You've no doubt thought about this, but I'm sure you could find a spare bomb or fuel tank that would fit the bill for the spinner.

Regards,

Learstang

The credit all belongs to Chris Ellis from nearly 30 years ago. Have another article of his that used an Avro 504 front end and RE8 rear section to make a 1 1/2 Strutter. No longer necessary thanks to Eastern Express etc but handy to have if the supply dries up. As for the spinner I've made one by laminating 60 thou card to a jet wheel and some energetic filing and drilling. Doesn't look too bad to my eyes so may use it after all. Thanks for the prod. As for the aircraft I agree wholeheartedly. A cracking design seriously undervalued.

Now that we are more aware of the possibilities of using the Gladiator the similarities between the Bullet fuselage construction and the Vickers FB 19 appear more obvious. May be possible, perhaps using one of the more refined versions such as the Matchbox/Revell. Any thoughts?

Regards, Steve

A Vickers F.B.19? Now that would be interesting. I have to admit I don't know too much about this particular aeroplane as WWI aircraft aren't exactly my bailiwick - Soviet and 1930's onwards British 'planes are where my questionable knowledge lies. However, if you do one, be really obscure and do it in Bolshevik markings. That will have people saying "What's that?". In terms of refined Gladiator kits, I've always liked the Heller/Encore Gladiator - that's what I converted into my Gauntlet, and which parts, such as the engine, propeller, and decals I'm going to use to make a Latvian Hind (talk about obscure!).

Regards,

Learstang

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachmen...mp;d=1098607675

Hi Learstang,

Like the sound of the Latvian Hind. Persian AF used similar in the 30's powered with 640hp Mercury. HTH.

As for the Vickers a few did end up in Russia so a Bolshevik version could prove feasible. Time will tell.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you for the picture, Steve! I don't think I've seen that one. Not to get off topic but I just got the Mushroom book on the Hart family. Very nice indeed. Since I intend on doing the entire Hart family (or a goodly portion of it!), this book shall prove invaluable. The one I'd love to do is the Persian Audax with the P&W Hornet - it looks like the unholy offspring of the O3U Corsair and the Hawker Hart. Oh, well, whenever I start on that massive project I'll no doubt start a thread of my own. Now back to your Bullet.

Regards,

Learstang

Edited by Learstang

Just about finished. Errors aplenty but at least it's recognisable. Rigging was simplicity itself and hardly worth a mention in CarlT's thread except it couldn't be done in one piece because it ends in the lower fuselage sides so the lower wires are separate wires. Cockpit was created by filling in the gap between the wing and fuselage. Painted wood and instruments added likewise. Forgot to reshape the trailing edge next to the fuselage but it's only a very short section so I can live with it. Inadvertently made a hybrid by positioning mg to left. C has wing cutout in each wing, Le Rhone engine and central mg. B has only starboard cut out and off centre mg. Never mind it made it easier to locate the windscreen. I'll just have to call it a field modified Bullet stationed somewhere in the Middle East. An enjoyable build and for the curious I cut a section from the vertical panel line behind the rear cabane strut holes and the panel line just in front of the gun troughs. The nose remaining was used to extend the fuselage once the wings were installed and the engine and cowling were added to it. I'm going to end by quoting the author of the article that inspired this attempt. Chris Ellis said .. " this does not produce a 100% accurate model but in 1:72 scale it successfully captures the dimensions and character of the M.1." I think he's right.

Cheers, Steve

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

Edited by stevehed

Looks like a Bullet. Nice. Just out of interest, what is your preferred putty/filler when doing these bashes?

Will

Thanks Will.

I use Revell Plasto. No particular reason other than it is readily available at my local Modelzone.

Regards, Steve