1/32 Revell Tigermoth

lrvls4712.jpg

I am going to build this kit but plan to do a scratchbuilt interior and some corrections. If anyone knows what needs to be corrected with this kit please speak up. I am also exposing the engine and opening up the luggage compartment.

Edited by hacker
  • Like 2

lrvls4712.jpg

I am going to build this kit but plan to do a scratchbuilt interior and some corrections. If anyone knows what needs to be corrected with this kit please speak up. I am also exposing the engine and opening up the luggage compartment.

Could you please take photos of various sprues. I would not mind trying to build this plane.

Is there any aftermarket goodies for it ?

OLiver

Could you please take photos of various sprues. I would not mind trying to build this plane.

Is there any aftermarket goodies for it ?

OLiver

As far as I know there is no after market parts for this so scratchbuild is the way to go on this. Sooo with out further delay lets get to work

Picture001.jpg

First order of business is to remove the molded in detail of the kit as it will be replaced with a new tubular framing

Picture002.jpg

Next l started the frame work. This is what l got so far but as l go along with this build l will modify or add stuff like throttle controls.

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

This is the new cockpit floor. I used the kit center piece as it is basically correct but l detailed it and added the missing rudder peddles.

Picture006.jpg

Dry fitting the seats on to see how it looks. l am undecided on the front office as pictures and drawings l have show a different seat arrangement. I will have to look at my options here

Picture007.jpg

While l as at it l removed the details from the front of the fire wall and detailed the back of it like it should look

Well that is all for now

later

• Like 1

Go here: http://www.barneysairforce.com/

Barney has built a few of these and has a 1:1. He's a nice guy and should be a mine of information.

Dave.

Great work but did you know that the Revell kit front seat is wrong, its more of a bucket type which fixed the the side frames as you can just see in the photos below.

All the best

Steve

001t.jpg

Bucketseat.jpg

Edited by worm
  • Like 1

Hello Hacker!

Really a nice build and I love it when the modeller make some of the parts himself. I will look forward to the Tiger Moth and I hope I can learn a little bit for my Moth. Good start, my Respect. Regards, Udo.

Didn't some Canadian Tiger moths have an enclosed cockpit?

Yes they did but l am undecided as to what my scheme is going to be. l know it not going to be civilian but what peaks my interest scheme wise has yet to be seen

RTVol185.jpg

I was thinking about an RCN version as seen here but this is the only picture l have at the moment

• Like 1

Great work but did you know that the Revell kit front seat is wrong, its more of a bucket type which fixed the the side frames as you can just see in the photos below.

All the best

Steve

001t.jpg

Bucketseat.jpg

nice shots very useful to me but what l need is some fire wall shots without the engine if that is possible?

nice shots very useful to me but what l need is some fire wall shots without the engine if that is possible?

I told you before, contact Barney. He is a plethora of information on Tiger Moths.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got some work into the Tigermoth. Here is what l got to post so far

Picture011a.jpg

Picture005a.jpg

here are the two side tubular framing detailed and ready to paint

Picture004a.jpg

l managed to get some firewall pictures without the engine in the way. pretty sparse but never the less better then the kit version. The two bulges for the rudders inside the cockpit was made from ends of 1/72 WWII 500lb bombs cut off as close the top as possible and sanded to height. Still some detailing to do after painting

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture015a.jpg

l put a shot of Floquil grey primer on everything. The black dots on the cockpit floor is where l made rivits and it is black marker in the hopes when l spray the british interior green on it it will show darker

Picture014.jpg

The insides of the fuselage is fabic on the sides and wood on the top. According what l found out it is Egyptian Cotton linen so it was white. Then there was 7 coats of red primer on the outside and it bled through giving the effect l tried to duplicate. Once that dries l will mask it off and spray the tops the interior green along with the rest of the parts. That maybe at a later date

that is all for now

later

• Like 2

You're making great progress. The interior is a massive improvement over the basic kit one.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. l got up early this morning and did some airbrushing before the wife came home from work. l managed to get the interior green on the parts. Here how they look at the moment

Picture016.jpg

Picture018a.jpg

Picture017.jpg

l put the side framing in to see how it looks. It looks as it should even though l don't have the floor in as of yet

Picture019a.jpg

Picture020a.jpg

Picture021a.jpg

Now that the airbrushing is down for now l can do a little brush painting to detail it and do some dry brushing on the other parts

Hopefully l will have more to post later. Once this is done it is on to the engine

later

• Like 1

This is fascinating and very educational to watch as you progress, Hacker. I have often admired others' DH.82 models and having had both maintenance and flight experience in/on various Tigers, combined with the re-release of this kit, has made me seriously consider sacrificing the credit card once more.

What references are you using fir the interior? And do you have a specific aircraft in mind to model?

• Like 1

What references are you using fir the interior? And do you have a specific aircraft in mind to model?

l got my information from various sources. l don't have the Haynes Tigermoth owner's manual but l got enough info gathered over a period of time to help. As for a specific aircraft l really don't know. At first for something different l was going to do a RCN Tigermoth but info is scarce as rocking horse poop. May go with a silver RAF post war scheme or go with war period scheme of yellow and camo

• Like 1