PL965/R

Miggers

Is anyone "close" to PL965?(in the way that Tony is to Rolls' Spit)

I know she's just emerged from her deep service and looks superb in her 16 Sqn colours,

but I'm wondering how well stencilled she is.

Cousin Spadegrip sent me the latest pic of her,but it's only a single portside view so there

isn't a lot to be seen really.

My Airfix XIX/IX PR.XI conversion is now at the paint stage and will be finished as PL965

and the Airfix decals have a rather good stencil set.

Cheers,Mark

I am hoping to see the aircraft on Thursday and will do as full a detail walkround as conditions and weather permit. I need to get shots myself fairly urgently, and as I work in Ops at the airfield I have fairly good access if I'm on roster.

I am hoping to see the aircraft on Thursday and will do as full a detail walkround as conditions and weather permit. I need to get shots myself fairly urgently, and as I work in Ops at the airfield I have fairly good access if I'm on roster.

Now that would be nice TJJ.

Spoken to Steve Atkins over on Key(seems he the bloke that's painting her).

He reckons she's about 80% stencilled at the mo but should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Stencilling a big Spit is just as time consuming as a 1/72 version.

Mark

Here are the first of the stencil pics. The bulk of those still to be done are the W/T codes under the wings and a white R under the nose.

Starting with the starboard side

StarboardView.jpg

StarboardRudder.jpg

StarboardTail.jpg

StarboardCockpitStencil.jpg

• Like 1

Port wing. The top surface is the same as the starboard wing. The only visible difference is a black line on the top side of the aileron. Reference codes still to be added to the underside and flaps.

PortWing.jpg

PortWing2.jpg

PortWingWalk1.jpg

PortWingWalkway2.jpg

StarboardWingWalkwayForward.jpg

PortAileron.jpg

WheelBay.jpg

Edited by TJJ
  • Like 1

A couple of shots which may be useful if someone is making a diorama.

Camera hatch open

CameraHatch.jpg

Re-enactors with cameras and film cartridge. The veteran is a former PR pilot. Steve Atkin is the middle re-enactor.

Group-2.jpg

Some shots from the flying yesterday to finish...

Taxi-1.jpg

LowPass-1.jpg

Land-1.jpg

• Like 1

Those are excellent pictures: thanks for taking the trouble.

Looks like another nice job by Steve Atkins.

The revised scheme is very attractive. Is it immediately post-war, or very late-war?

Edited by Work In Progress

Late war scheme - the Spitfire joined 16 Squadron, part of 34 Wing at Melsbroek near Brussels, on 18 January 1945. They have a shot of her in the snow.

Glad to be of assistance.

I've visited this forum with interest for a long time now, but this is my first post here.

Re-enactors with cameras and film cartridge. The veteran is a former PR pilot.

Unless my eyes fail me, the veteran is the tireless F/Lt 'Jimmy' Taylor.

I've visited this forum with interest for a long time now, but this is my first post here.

Unless my eyes fail me, the veteran is the tireless F/Lt 'Jimmy' Taylor.

I had my suspicions that that's who it is,but I wasn't going to open my

big mouth and put my boot straight into it :rolleyes:

Yeah go on bob,tell me that's what I normally do anyway :D

Welcome to us VoyTech.

Thanks once again TJJ,they really are fantastic pictures of an absolute darling of a Spit.

Mark

I had my suspicions that that's who it is,but I wasn't going to open my

big mouth and put my boot straight into it :rolleyes:

Yeah go on bob,tell me that's what I normally do anyway :D

Welcome to us VoyTech.

Thanks once again TJJ,they really are fantastic pictures of an absolute darling of a Spit.

Mark

nice pics!!

this might be a silly question, but did the camera shoot sideways, so the pilot had to bank to whatever he was looking at in order to get the picture?

A few more pics of the two days filming.

The RAF Medmenham veterans

VeteransLo.jpg

We were right next to the runway for the filming

TakeOffLo-2.jpg

The RNHF Sea Fury T20 departed to Yeovilton during the Spitfire's sortie. It pulled some nice wing vortices during its morning flight

SeaFuryRollLo.jpg

I'll update the stencilling and markings once they are finished.

TJJ

That is one hell of a Spit.

Aha!!.

I wondered when you'd spot this kiddo.

I'd have given you a shout about it but the old pc has been on the blink again :gobsmacked: .

She really is a honey isn't she.

Let's hope an RNHF Sea Fury's elastic holds up for this season too after last years' escapades.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
this might be a silly question, but did the camera shoot sideways, so the pilot had to bank to whatever he was looking at in order to get the picture?

Sideways, and down; the black mark, on the aileron, was to align the camera with the target, at the set height for the sortie, and in level flight. On some aircraft, the pilot opted for a mark on the inside of the canopy.

Just to act the :smartass: DTD308 was an accepted finish for fabric (the suffix "C" signified cellulose,) while DTD517 S was the synthetic finish introduced as the overall smoother paint, in September 1942.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Now that's a sight we like to see,Merlin 70 power in all it's glory.

That engine is just as nicely presented as is the aircraft.

Makes you realise why Spitfires evoke such emotion in people,never mind what they did

or what they were built to do,they're just about one of the sexiest things ever to have

wings on it.

I'm sure Reg Mitchell never ever envisaged that his little creation would have such a following

today with those who've never seen a Spit fire it's guns in anger,but I'm damn sure he'd approve.

BTW,Pete T is a lucky blighter isn't he.Thank him from us ugly lot for letting you loose

around his "other woman" with your camera.

There's no guarantee I'll see him to speak to this summer,so I'll let you thank him.

Mark :thumbsup:

Edited by Miggers