MPM 1/72 new Spitfire Mk.21/24 / Seafire 47

Redboost

Ahia ... that Mk47 wing seems not to be right. The blister over the wheelwell is not in correct dimension ... on Mk47 that blister is larger and bigger than in the Spit Mk 21/22/24 and Seafire 45/46. I hope those pictures are not so clear for their perspective and on real kit's blister is different ...

Redboost, would you be so kind to post pictures of this Mk47 model kit wing more in detail please ? Thank you in advance.

ciao

Giovanni

What's your impression of the canopy? From these, and the views of the made-up Mk.22 I've seen, they seem a little too wide.

yes, i would agree, the shape of the fuel tank looks slightly squared off rather than semi-circular which in turn pulls the sides of the canopy out. Might just be the lighting creating a false highlight though.

Also the shape of the bulges over the rocker covers looks wrong, they should be straight along the top rather than tapering downwards as they go back.

Overall level of detail looks very nice though.

Hello,

can't comment on accuracy until I put my hand on these kits. Anyway, sit of the canopy looks from some angles odd indeed, but on my Mk.22 I built all was fine. I compared it with pictures from 4+ book and especialy those on page 9 above show the same slightly "raised-like" effect. The canopy has to be slightly pressed down when glued to the fuselage.

using the Airfix 1/48 kit, correct on wing configurations , here on the left the Mk21/22/24-45/46 blister, on the right the Mk 47 one.

Mk47versusMk4546Mk212224.jpg

I hope MPM knows this difference and just assembled the kit with a wing not modified on this detail to be in time for Nuremberg, not having ready the real Mk47 wing ... ciao

Giovanni

Ciao Giovanni,

thanks for clarification; however, as mentioned above these kits are test shots only and especially the FR.47 will be further modified. It is confirmed it will have a new wing with proper size of the blister.

Cheers

Libor

Edited by Redboost

• 1 month later...
I've had a close look at the xtrakit F22, and it seems the nose is about 2mm too short? Almost looks like a merlin nose! Anyone else notice this?

And the canopy is defo too wide imo

Haven't seen the MPM kit, but it's consistent with what I've found measuring some other 1/72 Griffon Spit kits (Airfix, Admiral) - the problem seems to be that the distance between the cockpit and frame 5 (The firewall) is too short. The same problem affects a number of Merlin 60 engined kits in 1/72 as well (Hasegawa, Heller)

• 5 months later...