HMS Invincible 1980

Phil Reeder

It`s about time I built a "Bird-farm". As everybody and his dad(s203) is building the Airfix Illustrious,and being the awkward sod that I am,I decided to have a go at the Invincible,as she appeared during the Falklands "Do".

I bought some Jecobin plans of the Vinny from WEM,there are 3 sheets to 1/16th to the foot ,which depict her in 1980.These are very detailed and are just what the doctor ordered.At first sight ,i thought this would be an easy convertion,Oh No its not,up to press,I discovered fifteen major differences ,so it should turn out to be quite a challenge.

I`ve made a start ,by putting together the hanger and hull.Luckily there are no differences in this area.I was quite impressed with the fit of the hanger area,I had no probs with it.(well done Airfix!!)

Hers the first of many(I Hope) pics

Bye ,Phil

DSCN0675.jpg

The two openings on the port side should be of equal depth on the Vinny,and piece of plastikard has raised the aft of the two openings.Also the platform alongside the forward opening has been removed.

DSCN0671.jpg

The assemble hull and hanger,it suffered from slight warping in some areas

DSCN0672.jpg

two stout squares of plastic reinforce the hull

DSCN0673.jpg

The aft "Goalkeeper"platform is removed

DSCN0674-1.jpg

this area is then rebuilt using plastikard,milliput and putty

Edited by Phil Reeder

I'm looking at doing a conversion of Lusty to Vinnie circa 1990 as this was the time I served on her. So actually a far easier conversion than yours Phil. Although the Sea Dart and associated gazebo, (blast deflector), looks to be the most awkward part of the build.

Shar2 took the words right out of my mouth! Will be watching with interest.

Oh i have a few bits of PE left over from mine if you need them.

if they make a hermes in 1/350 il buy it in a heartbeat as my father in law served on her in the late 70s

ps i wonder why the hermes got no publicity in the falklands despite being the flagship?

I think the Hermes got more publicity,due to having a TV film crew,along with Brian Hannaran,on board,remember"I counted them all out,and I counted them all back" Invincible had a certain royal personnage serving on board,and they wanted to keep the press well away from him!!I agree a 350th Hermes would be very nice,how about it Airfix?

Back to the build,this is turning out to be a much more involved build than I first thought.A lot of sawing and cutting,around the front bit.Pics to follow.

Cheers ,Phil

The fos`cle has undergone major surgery,and following the plan ,I`ve started to rebuild this area.I must say ,that I think scratch-building is easier!!At least you don`t have to alter anything!!

Bye ,Phil

DSCN0676.jpg

Most of the cutting has been done ,just the "Ski-Jump" support needs removing.

DSCN0677.jpg

A new deck has been made from 40thou PK

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

A start has been made on the Sea Dart area,and surrounding structure

plan02-10-2010140330.jpg

This area from the Jecobin plan,showing the "gazebo"it`s gonna be some job making that!!

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve added the flight-deck,after first removing the "ski-jump",and the front part.I was quite impressed by the fit of the large part,at least it was in one piece,not three as per Trumpeter.A start has been boxing this in.I will have to make a new "ski-jump"for the Invincible,as the one she had ,when first built,was a completely different design.Before i did all this I painted the quarter -deck on the lower stern ,a teak colour.(Thanks to Shar2 :thumbsup2: )

Bye Phil

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

A bit noisy during flight operations I should imagine LOL

Oh yes! but at least it was over quite quickly. My bunk was right under No3 spot where the SHAR's used to land. I can sleep almost anywhere now. :D

Oh yes! but at least it was over quite quickly. My bunk was right under No3 spot where the SHAR's used to land. I can sleep almost anywhere now. :D

I've always boasted the ability to be able to sleep on a clothesline but I doubt I could match you there gigglebigtb9fg3.gif

Not much of a ramp on the Vinny, was there? :pilot:

Yep,thats right it isn`t very big ,these ski-jumps were invented just a couple of years before the Invincible was complete.Having said that,HMS Furious ,during the attacks on the Tirpitz ,in april 1944,had a similar ramp fitted ,as she had a short flight-deck,and it was needed to help get the Barracudas airborne ,carring a 1600lb bomb.There`s nothing new under the sun!!Edit: Just found this in the Warship Profile on the Furious:

furious04-10-2010195126.jpg

Cheers ,Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

Just a quick one Phil' have you checked the profile of the bow. I seem to remember when Lusty had her refit, they fitted a totally new bow section, Not sure if it changed the profile much. Cracking build though!

Cheers now

Bob

Just a quick one Phil' have you checked the profile of the bow. I seem to remember when Lusty had her refit, they fitted a totally new bow section, Not sure if it changed the profile much. Cracking build though!

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks ,Bob,will have a look at that,but from what I`ve seen already,I don`t think there was much difference.No more sawing ,Please!!! :banghead:

Cheers,Phil