Hobby Boss Tornado F3 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

Gents, just got my hands on it. Stay tuned for a late afternoon first look. But things arent looking good in the land of pointy nose Tornado interceptors.....

Jonners, abandoning all other models

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Gents, just got my hands on it. Stay tuned for a late afternoon first look. But things arent looking good in the land of pointy nose Tornado interceptors.....

Jonners, abandoning all other models

Is it me? .......but apart from the extra detail, it doesn't look any more accurate than the Italeri offering

Right first up - heres some of the new bits:

Tailplanes look a lot better:

newF3tailplanesprue.jpg

Wing gloves are longer as they should be, but still seem too deep like their GR cousins:

newF3winggloves.jpg

Heres the new sprue for the F3 parts:

newF3cockpitsprue.jpg

And the decals:

F3maindecals.jpg

newF3firebirddecals.jpg

The fin remains unchanged from the IDS version as do the air intakes and the main body parts. You also get 2 duplicate sprues each with 2 AIM-9Ls and 2 Skyflash

All parts are moulded with nicely recessed detail as before, and the fit of parts so far taped together looks to be very good too.

Jonners

However......

however.....

Now just to make this clear I'm using pics from Airliners.net to illustrate my points. I'm using them for critical purposes, so I hope the copyright holders won't mind. But if they do I will of course remove them. In all cases these images remain the property of the copyright holder.

Right heres the new F3 nose, taped together

F3nosetaped1.jpg

F3nosetaped2.jpg

F3nosetaped5underside.jpg

The new nose fuselage section is newly tooled -its a 3 part affair with underside molded separately to allow for the forward missile recesses.

The canopy sill seems flat, but the main canopy is a deeper molding than the IDS part: heres the F3 fuselage with my GR4 canopy fitted ( and remember I've deepened the GR4 part too)

F3nosewithGR4canopy.jpg

So does the F3 have a deeper canopy than the IDS/GR versions??

Now compare the shape of the fuselage around the radome and gun port lower are to these pics:

F3nose1.jpg

F3nose2.jpg

F3nose6.jpg

From what I can see the distinctive pinched-in look to the radome where it meets the fuselage isnt really there on the model - its far too smooth a progression, and I think (though this is very much a first opinion) that the radome is, as a result, too big in diameter.

Note also in the pics of the real thing the way the underfuselage is very flat - especially around the nose gear doors - you can see from the shadows where the curve ends and the flatness starts: On the model this isnt there - the undersurface maintains a very gentle curve all around the lower front part. Again - it just dont look quite right!

Now take a look at the canopy sills on the model:

F3nosetaped4.jpg

Note how the canopy lower edge still has no big sills and it comes down and sits very much on the flat part of the top fuselage. Compare to this:

F3nose7.jpg

F3nose4.jpg

Its still doesnt blend in the way the real thing does. I think I'm in for more sanding again in this area!!!!!

Overall the new F3 front fusleage doesnt really capture the look of the real thing to my eyes. Opinions anyone?

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

They seem to have totally missed the chine where the squarish sides come down to the bottom, and the way it pinches in at the front around the radome.

To be honest we can see it and its a pain, but will 90% of the model buying public notice, probably not.

Nice to see that have fixed a few things but shows again they still have not done all the reseach. All things being even better that the first but could maybe do better? but would it be worththe extra in tooling to fix errors most people wont mind? could be a business desision.

Sorry for you J as you have been waiting for this one.

Julien

Hi Jonners,

Might be just me with Tomcat eyes (been working on these today), but that radome appears more Tomcat or Viper in shape style (only, not size, obviously!) eg not conical, but "curvier" on the upper surface and slighly flatter on the lower. From the pictures of the real Tornado you've given, the nose looks more of a perfect cone type shape than either of those types, or this kit. There is something about the forward fuselage, I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems better than the IDS though, it's not right, but not as wrong as it was before

So, what markings are you going for? I'll be doing the No.56 Squadron to start with. Best start getting Tornado specs I think...

Keep it up Jon, you did a great job with the GR, and I know you will with this one.

Joel

Right heres the new F3 nose, taped together

F3nosetaped1.jpg

Looks odd.

Thats a strange kink where the upper nose cone meets the area in front of the windscreen.

With what you've pointed out already, I won't be shelling out for one of these. :fraidnot:

Disappointed. I was really hoping for a decent effort with this one.

Edited by Smiffy

it isn't THAT bad but the nose is definitley lacking. Looks like someoe should make a correction. But who?? :)

Just my thoughts exactly. Yes the radome could do with tweaking but the rest i think i could live with quite easily...

right Mike, i think you have a task to get on with..... ready steady, GO!!!! ;)

Just my thoughts exactly. Yes the radome could do with tweaking but the rest i think i could live with quite easily...

right Mike, i think you have a task to get on with..... ready steady, GO!!!! ;)

Ditto. It's not perfect but it's close enough to live with. It might look a bit better if the step at the radome was eliminated...none of it looks particularly difficult to fix though.

Well, that definitely doesn't look like a Tornado F3 to me! Looks more like a b****y TSR 2.

Perhaps this might help.

janesaircraftamazon.jpg

No Expert on F3's as a whole, but it looks far better than the Airfix kit and more avaliable than Italeri kit (i've never seen one and I've been modelling for 32 years), yeap has its errors which should be correctable or at least improved on, and lets face it, whilst it would be really great to have a perfect F3/GR1/4 it's never going to happen all the time i've got a hole in my head so it will have to be a good starting point....oh what i'm trying to say is this is going to cost me £50.00 isn't it!!!!! (do I sound like some one trying to justify a purchase?)

Much less disapponted in this than the GR version, which I just couldn't bring myself to buy, even though Jonners made a bloomin' fabby job on his one.

Remember Jonners...the world is watching!

Cheers

Col'

Well, This kit is some up date from the GR-1/IDS offer.

I hope HobbyBoss release some up dated "kits" to correct the IDS kits, for free.

The Tornado has an ellusive shape and this is augmented by the camouflage finnish.

The kit's appearance sometimes looks right to me, sometimes not, and viewing the pics I see

some contours that I never noted before ! Well, I don't have a Tornado in my backyard.

Even the downed nose is perceptible from some angle in some pics.

All in all I still believe that some cross section is missing in the front windscreen fuselage.

Lets see what resin makers say.

Good Luck.

Tonka