My Stab At A Jag

Hey guys

Well, here I go. Figured I should post some pix of Jag so far. Not really that far actually. But you gotta start somewhere! It's the fabled 1/48 Airfix kit. I'll be doing the winter camo scheme just cuz it's so damn cool.

NeOmega cockpit (when the right one shows up!)

Paragon flaps and slats

Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal landing gear

Paragon chaff dispensers

Two Mikes Resin seamless intakes

and I might need some decals for the proper markings.

Anyway, after much time studying and reading many of the builds in the GB pages, I have employed many of the same technique's I saw. Such as cutting the wings for the flaps and slats; using styrene sheet for the intakes inside so they don't look flat and others.

Roughing out the fairings

100_0403.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0408.jpg

Gettin the gun fairing ready

100_0410.jpg

This is sheet styrene for inside the intake. Hopefully it'll look ok when all is painted

100_0412.jpg

Inside the fuselage you can see the sheet styrene for the intake and the partial gear bay I'll be scratching out. You can see in the bay once you clear out that dumb wall inside the gear well. Figured I can't leave it all barren so I'm building some of the gear well that will be seen.

100_0411.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Since I'm going to do mine with the air brakes closed I needed to make sure the brakes sit flush with fuselage. What a pain that was...

100_0413.jpg

Oh yeah, and one of my all time favorite, mind numbing, eye straining activities...Rivets!! YAAAAYY!!

100_0399.jpg

And just for giggles...if anyone can identify these resin parts, that would be cool. This is what I got from Neomega as the Jaguar GR1 cockpit. Even I know this stuff does not belong in the Jag. Any Ideas?

100_0414.jpg

The Neo seat is on the right, the Xtraparts seat is on the left...you decide.

100_0407.jpg

100_0406.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the looky. Questions, comments, and snide remarks always welcome! Til' next time!

Edited by cipher74

I'm getting a distinct deja vu feeling here...it's like reliving my recent Jag build all over again! Best of luck with it.

A couple of points if I may...you've done exactly what I did with the NACA ducts above the gun troughs - the rearmost one isn't a duct, it's a rectangular cover and sits flush with the fuselage. I was told this after I'd gone to all the trouble of opening it and backing it exactly as you've done! Also, don't go mad detailing the wheel wells - I spent ages on them, and exactly none of it can be seen once the gear leg is in place. Looks like you did the same on the wing surgery as me too - used the panel lines as guides and found that they didn't match up top and bottom? I had to use a strip of plastic to even things out, too...

I see you haven't removed the leading edge slats yet - I spent ages trying to carve a constant depth recess in the wing as instructed, and it's since been pointed out that the real Jag wing doesn't have a recess! Just remove the projecting slat and sand it back flush with the leading edge.

Hope I'm not butting in. I'll be watching this one with interest...

Cheers,

Dean

I would think you would be deja vuing... I've been using your build as a guide to help me along! Sweet build btw! I did notice that rear panel on the trough. I actually have already filled it back in. I'm not planning on going to nutty on the gear for the exact reason you stated, but I feel like I have to put somethin' there. As far as the leading edge's..."nope, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent...at this junc-ture"! (bad Dana Carvey impression on SNL) That's the one thing I want nothing to do with...maybe on another Jag but not just yet. The wing wasn't a big deal really. Before I joined top to bottom I cut the kit parts off. Since I new what to expect with the surgery, I was prepared! Definitely not butting in! The more input the better! I very much appreciate the input! Thank you!

Hey guys

Well, here I go. Figured I should post some pix of Jag so far. Not really that far actually. But you gotta start somewhere! It's the fabled 1/48 Airfix kit. I'll be doing the winter camo scheme just cuz it's so damn cool.

NeOmega cockpit (when the right one shows up!)

Paragon flaps and slats

Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal landing gear

Paragon chaff dispensers

Two Mikes Resin seamless intakes

and I might need some decals for the proper markings.

Anyway, after much time studying and reading many of the builds in the GB pages, I have employed many of the same technique's I saw. Such as cutting the wings for the flaps and slats; using styrene sheet for the intakes inside so they don't look flat and others.

Roughing out the fairings

100_0403.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0408.jpg

Gettin the gun fairing ready

100_0410.jpg

This is sheet styrene for inside the intake. Hopefully it'll look ok when all is painted

100_0412.jpg

Inside the fuselage you can see the sheet styrene for the intake and the partial gear bay I'll be scratching out. You can see in the bay once you clear out that dumb wall inside the gear well. Figured I can't leave it all barren so I'm building some of the gear well that will be seen.

100_0411.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Since I'm going to do mine with the air brakes closed I needed to make sure the brakes sit flush with fuselage. What a pain that was...

100_0413.jpg

Oh yeah, and one of my all time favorite, mind numbing, eye straining activities...Rivets!! YAAAAYY!!

100_0399.jpg

And just for giggles...if anyone can identify these resin parts, that would be cool. This is what I got from Neomega as the Jaguar GR1 cockpit. Even I know this stuff does not belong in the Jag. Any Ideas?

100_0414.jpg

The Neo seat is on the right, the Xtraparts seat is on the left...you decide.

100_0407.jpg

100_0406.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the looky. Questions, comments, and snide remarks always welcome! Til' next time!

Even money it's an Su-25 cockpit. Defo a Russian seat and no radar scope.

That is all.

Gonna follow this puppy :)

Me Too :bye:

Interesting to note your closing the Airbrakes!

Are you doing one in flight?

101% of the time the Airbrakes were open on the deck otherwise

You couldn't do a refuel,also you could not start the Micro turbo

(which sits in the port airbrake area) which would ultimately start the engines?

Adrian

(which sits in the port airbrake area) which would ultimately start the engines?

Adrian

That's a handy bit of info Adrian, I'll have to remember that for when I build my two seater. I didn't know that.

Looking good so far, I have the slats/flaps set and intrested to see how they come together, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the input guys! It means a lot to me. To answer some questions:

Yes to ollieholmes, some pix of the pit would be great! I'm gonna use this set obviously. Waiting for the proper set to arrive.

atdb27, nope, not in flight. I actually have some pix of Jag's on the ground flaps down, air brakes closed. (translation: I don't want to deal with 'em on this bird. next one probably.)

I know it won't be totally accurate but...I'm calling 'ARTISTIC LICENSE' on this one :tease:

An additional note is that the airbrakes don't fit flush with the fuselage when closed. Certainly the trailing edge of the airbrakes of the 1:1 scale one I'm re-building, sits on top of the engine bay panel. The section you've removed to make them sit flush is actually present on the real thing.

Regards.

Graham

Adrian

Edited by ghaynes

Hi,

That is the Mig-23 cockpit:

http://www.neomega-resin.com/mig23.htm

Did LH allow you to keep the existing resin or do you have to send it back?

I've owned alot of Neomega resin and never had a similar problem so don't let it put you off!

BR,

Ed

Hey there,

Ya, I guess LH is letting me keep it. He didn't ask for it back, just said he was going to send me a replacement. It won't put me off, I love their kits. Highly detailed. A bit pricey but that's ok. Thanks for that link. Thats definitely what it is alright. I sent LH a pic so they don't think I'm trying to pull a fast one on them. Well, I guess if I ever decide to whip up a Mig-23 I just saved myself another $25! nice

An additional note is that the airbrakes don't fit flush with the fuselage when closed. Certainly the trailing edge of the airbrakes of the 1:1 scale one I'm re-building, sits on top of the engine bay panel. The section you've removed to make them sit flush is actually present on the real thing.

Regards.

Graham

Ya. I knew that. The only thing was, when I was fitting the brake it stuck out wayyy to far compared to my ref pix. So I got rid of the extra plastic. Looks much better than it did before. Thanks for the heads up tho. Appreciate it.

Doug

No probs Doug. If you need any photos just ask. Whilst we have XX741 in pieces it's a good time to take some detail photos.

Regards.

Graham

Ya. I knew that. The only thing was, when I was fitting the brake it stuck out wayyy to far compared to my ref pix. So I got rid of the extra plastic. Looks much better than it did before. Thanks for the heads up tho. Appreciate it.

Doug

No probs Doug. If you need any photos just ask. Whilst we have XX741 in pieces it's a good time to take some detail photos.

Regards.

Graham

Trade ya builds ;)