E-2C Hawkeye (US Navy)

Mike

kineticlogo.jpg

1:48 Kinetic E-2C Hawkeye

(US Navy)

boxtop.jpg

This kit has been on a lot of people's want list for a long time, and it has taken the relatively new kids on the block Kinetic to bring it to market as a mainstream injection moulded that will no doubt delight a lot of people, myself included.

sprues.jpg

The top opening box is quite literally jammed to the top with sprues of a dark grey/brown plastic, and even when removed from their protective bags, the parts barely fit back into the box. The multitude of sprues containing the parts are sealed in two bags, which in my sample had allowed a little surface chaffing to occur, but nothing excessive considering it's been half way around the world. The clear parts are provided in a separate bag, and a crystal clear.

Looking carefully at the sprues reveals a lot of crisp detail in most aspects of the kit, and the rendering of the panel lines, is very neatly done - they may be a little wide for some, but after a few coats of paint, that should be much reduced.

The cockpit is nicely rendered with detailed instrument panel, side consoles and centre console. The sidewalls are bare however, and the seats seem somewhat simplified, but if you're worried about that, there are references out there, and the detail can be added with styrene strips with no drama. The bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit an oddity however, as it is devoid of any detail, and exhibits quite prominent scratching. Clearly, it will need a sanding session to smooth these out, but again is not a major issue. Detail can then be added to the modeller's satisfaction, which in many ways is better than having to undo fictitious detail.

The wings can be positioned ready for flight, or folded, exposing the well detailed wing-fold inserts, which look nice on the sprues. If you're modelling the wings open, there is a set of alternative short inserts that strengthen the joint, and extend part way into both sections, ensuring that the joints don't crack at some later stage.

wingfold.jpg

Flaps can be posed retracted or partially deployed, and detail here is also good, and the engine nacelles have 2 types of access panels, depending on which airframe you're modelling, so check your references. Wheel well detail is good, as is the detail to the bay doors, but the diagram for their installation is somewhat confusing, with many parts and arrows in one construction section (number 6). Care should be exercised here to avoid mistakes.

The airscrews are the early 4-bladed paddle type, as befits the mark, and has raised lines to aid painting, which would probably have been better left off and replaced with decals. I will most probably copy the details to tape and create my own masks after sanding off the raised detail.

The radar dome is huge at around 6" across, and is moulded in 2 parts with plenty of detail. The support assembly is suitably strong and should withstand all but the sharpest of knocks - in fact, the saucer could be modelled as a detachable element, which would make sense for handling and transporting.

saucer.jpg

The clear parts are cleanly moulded and commendably thin, with the cockpit glazing including the roof above the pilots, to aid easy fairing in. The two escape hatches above the pilots' seats is moulded open with glazed inserts, and the nose piece is moulded here as a full transparent part, for later masking of the clear section below the nose which houses various instrumentation and can be seen from the outside.

clearparts.jpg

The package is completed by a a decal sheet printed by Cartograf and designed by Fightertown decals, which should ensure good quality and accurate research. It allows for the modelling of only one aircraft, from VAW-112 Golden Eagles in 1995, and full painting and decaling instructions are provided on a separate black and white printed sheet in the bottom of the box.

Conclusion

Fans of this unusual aircraft will doubtlessly be pleased to see it finally make it into the shops in this scale, and the resulting model should draw admiring glances, as it builds into quite a sizeable aircraft. I believe that there are plans to produce a later model with the modern many-bladed props, and I'm sure that the aftermarket decal houses will be jumping in with plenty of alternative markings. I understand that there is another boxing available from Kinetic with French decals, and that one might be worth tracking down if you're hankering for a scheme that's a little different.

Review sample courtesy of luckylogo.gif

• Like 1

Cheers for the review Mike. It's a nice little? kit isn't it.

I'm just waiting for the E-2C+ with the Dowty blades.

richc

It's a pretty good kit matey - and I'm also waiting for the next version with those crazy blades too :)