Sea Harrier FA2 1/48

Blimey your going to town on this one i guess!!

Looking delightful so far my friend, good job!

Adam

This is looking to be a very interesting thread. How did you do the engine fan? Its the best one I have ever seen.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Very nice work Paulo! You did know Airfix do a 1:48th scale FA2, didn't you?! ;-)

If you need any help drop me a personal message here or contact me via the Harrier SIG website: http://harrier.hyperlinx.cz

If you haven't got the decals that came with the Modellers Datafile book on the SHAR, please let me know. Before they were produced the SIG produced some End of Era decals or our own (on which the MDf ones were based) and I have a few sheets left over; you'd be welcome to one...

Best wishes, ciao!

Nick

Edited by NG899

Very nice work Paulo! You did know Airfix do a 1:48th scale FA2, didn't you?! ;-)

If you need any help drop me a personal message here or contact me via the Harrier SIG website: http://harrier.hyperlinx.cz

If you haven't got the decals that came with the Modellers Datafile book on the SHAR, please let me know. Before they were produced the SIG produced some End of Era decals or our own (on which the MDf ones were based) and I have a few sheets left over; you'd be welcome to one...

Best wishes, ciao!

Nick

Thanks Nick

I spent a couple of months searching this Airfix kit here in Brazil and didn´t find it :weep:

As I had this Tamiya kit, I decided to modify it.

In fact, the thing I'll need the most in this FA2 are decals since I don´t have any. I´ll you send a PM about it.

All the best,

Paulo

Thanks Nick

I spent a couple of months searching this Airfix kit here in Brazil and didn´t find it :weep:

As I had this Tamiya kit, I decided to modify it.

In fact, the thing I'll need the most in this FA2 are decals since I don´t have any. I´ll you send a PM about it.

All the best,

Paulo

Hi Paolo, I have your PM and will contact you later ......don't forget the SHAR2's 14" extension aft of the wing roots. I'm sure you have that covered!!

If you need any help or advice, I'm sure Nick (ng899) and a few others on here, will be able to help you - and its well worth checking out the Harrier SIG!

Happy V/Stolling!!!!

Paulo, before you go any further, I hope you're not using those drawings as a guide as they appear to overlook the fact that the SHAR FA/2 had the rear fuselage stretched just aft of the trailing edge. There are also some mods to the leading edge of the wing, including an extra wing fence and fairing inboard inboard.

715g.jpg

Hey Paulo. Another thing to watch out for concerns the panel above the engine. Early Harriers had twin generators protruding forward from the engine's accessory gearbox which both needed cooling so had rear-facing ducts above them. This changed on later engines - the Shar has a single generator to the left of the engine centre line - and the ducts in the panels were no longer required. However, a new duct was introduced for the Auxiliary Power Unit, which lies just forward of the Gas Turbine Starter intake. If you look at Jonathan's excellent picture above (Where did you get that, Jonathan??!!!) you will see both these features, along with some other minor changes in access panel posuitions in the cockpit area which are further illustrated on Jake Eaton's build here.

Hope this helps. Ask if not. :)

Beautiful work Paulo. Don't forget that there is a fuselage frame ahead of each of the nozzles that means that you shouldn't be able to see around them to the engine. The frames are vertical and do not follow the contour of the fairing. Hope this helps.

Paulo, before you go any further, I hope you're not using those drawings as a guide as they appear to overlook the fact that the SHAR FA/2 had the rear fuselage stretched just aft of the trailing edge. There are also some mods to the leading edge of the wing, including an extra wing fence and fairing inboard inboard.

715g.jpg

Thank you so much for this picture, Jonathan! It helped me lot!

Beautiful work Paulo. Don't forget that there is a fuselage frame ahead of each of the nozzles that means that you shouldn't be able to see around them to the engine. The frames are vertical and do not follow the contour of the fairing. Hope this helps.

Kirk, thak you so much for all this information. You´ve been helping me a lot with all your knowledge. Thank you.

Love the drawings Jonathan. I will nit-pick on a couple of things though (because I'm a self-confessed sad Harrier rivet-measurer!!): The plan view show a "grate" across the APU exhaust that isn't there and the view of the wing fences might lead one to believe that they are at an angle to the vertical. Oh, and new-build FA2's apparently don't have the RAT doors. And the fin pitot is missing. Now that's a few rather than a couple, so I'm done; I still think they're fab drawings.

Are you the man responsible for drawing for Airfix?

Paulo - those deflectors are spot on.

• 8 months later...