1/48 Airfix Westland Lynx AH7

I received this kit back at the end of January and completed it mid Feb. Its one of the Airfix test shots I built for an article in the current (May 2012) edition of Airfix Model World magazine. I was asked to keep it under wraps until the magazine hit the streets. Built OOB apart from a couple of wires here and there and bits of a PE panel. If you'd like to see the work in progress, buy the magazine ;)

A very enjoyable build and from my point of view, 98% accurate from Airfix. Well done!

6925215050_3830cc5af2_c.jpg

7071290851_40c12a2668_c.jpg

6925218046_46c4e5d507_c.jpg

6925217016_f68e9b6786_c.jpg

7071289557_e770f125fd_c.jpg

7071287971_d9d485ef87_c.jpg

6925208138_87a7bde6b0_c.jpg

7071282531_7e0b0d35ef_c.jpg

6925203636_30e6524897_c.jpg

6925219382_362111c356_c.jpg

Next to my Belcher Bits heavily modified Lynx AH9A

6925218670_bedf719faf_b.jpg

Next to my other recently completed Airfix HMA8 (see more of that later ;) )

7071296815_332b1cd530_b.jpg

My next Lynx (already on the go) will probably be a TOW equipped aircraft.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 17

Excellent build, hard to believe such a super detailed model can be build OOB.

I started mine this week, the fit is incredibly tight, bit like building a Tamiya kit.

I can see a few areas where an Eduard PE sheet would help, but the kit detail is amazing straight out of the box :D

Shaun.

Build Tip- take your time, get some Tamiya thin liquid glue and a very clean build can be done. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Shaun

Absolutely superb work!!! The bar has now been set unfeasibly high for the rest of us!!!

:giles:

Darius

It is lovely. As for setting the bar high, having looked at my kit I must say Airfix seem to have gone a long way to making a stunning model more achievable for us bumbling amateurs.

Having bought RN version I am looking forward to seeing a few builds of that kit.

I have a quick question. I will (god help me!) be creating an AH9A from the Airfix army Lynx. My question is does the Navy version come with a M3M .50 cal? and if it does, does it have the same mounts as on the AH9A.

Thanks to Lynx7 btw all your reference material is great and your tables make it so easy to understand everything. :worthy: PS your Lynx are superb!

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Thanks for your kind comments, all.

It was a joy to build bar a few niggly areas. I'll highlight what Shaun has said. Take your time!!! Pay particular attention to ensuring the cabin 'module' fits perfectly and be prepared to carry out a lot of filing, sanding and fettling of the cabin roof part. It doesnt fit terribly well so ensuring this piece fits perfectly when you have fuselage joined is incredibly crucial. Take your time on the rotors. Its hard to dry fit as the 3 components that make the join is hard to do without glue. Luckily, its a good fit. Use superglue (Rocket Rapid medium) and do one blade at a time obviously. Make sure each blade is perfectly horizontal. Be very careful when removing some bits off the sprue. Some large sprue gates on tiny pieces. Apart from that, its actually very straight forward. Lots of lovely detail but in contrast, there are a few bits that are pants (due to mass production limits). I'm going to go bonkers on the next AH7 - engines et al! :D

Not trying to hawk the magazine but get the May edition of Airfix Model World and read my 11 page build review!

I have a quick question. I will (god help me!) be creating an AH9A from the Airfix army Lynx. My question is does the Navy version come with a M3M .50 cal? and if it does, does it have the same mounts as on the AH9A.

Thanks to Lynx7 btw all your reference material is great and your tables make it so easy to understand everything. :worthy: PS your Lynx are superb!

Cheers

Tim

Navy kit - M3M - Yes

Mount common - Yes

Big difference - the 9A (and all army M3M equipped Lynx) have the 1200 round ammo cradle fitted. This is a large frame like structure that sits behind the front seats and is almost the full width of the cabin (Link - see my AH9A build for details)

Is the HMA8 oob as well

Sort of...... ;-)

Navy kit - M3M - Yes

Mount common - Yes

Big difference - the 9A (and all army M3M equipped Lynx) have the 1200 round ammo cradle fitted. This is a large frame like structure that sits behind the front seats and is almost the full width of the cabin (Link - see my AH9A build for details)

Sort of...... ;-)

Thanks for answering so quickly. That's great news. looks like I will be building the navy one aswell then....minus .50 cals :)

Cheers

Tim